• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Role Ahead

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Definitely gonna pre-order Fire Emblem from Play-Asia now that I know it's a definite release. Smile Ni no Kuni and the Hundred Knights game have already been pre-ordered. Very Happy
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ever since I got Persona 4 Golden (just beat it with the true ending, actually), I've been wanting to get my JRPG on. Xillia and The Witch and A Hundred Knights are definitely on my watchlist.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Even though I really want to move on to an XL, I'm really hoping there's a chance we get the Fire Emblem 3DS...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Next year looks pretty good for JRPGs

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Atelier Ayesha
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Fire Emblem Awakening
Toki to Towa
Fate/Extra CCC
Disgaea Dimensions 2
Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Returns
Witch and the Hundred Knights

(probably some more I'm missing too)

I only really play JRPGs these days, but all of these games should keep me busy for the full year.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Atelier Ayesha
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Fire Emblem Awakening
Toki to Towa
Fate/Extra CCC
Disgaea Dimensions 2

That is, assuming that CCC and Ayesha get localized. CCC Won't be out in Japan until next year, and hopefully Aksys is still willing to do PSP games after the other Hakuouki. Also, no one knows what will happen with Ayesha, because of its rights. NISA may not get permission by Tecmo-Koei, and they may not want to localize it as well. Also, I doubt Lightning Returns will be out in North America until at least 2014... Same for Disgaea.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Atelier Ayesha
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Fire Emblem Awakening
Toki to Towa
Fate/Extra CCC
Disgaea Dimensions 2

That is, assuming that CCC and Ayesha get localized. CCC Won't be out in Japan until next year, and hopefully Aksys is still willing to do PSP games after the other Hakuouki. Also, no one knows what will happen with Ayesha, because of its rights. NISA may not get permission by Tecmo-Koei, and they may not want to localize it as well. Also, I doubt Lightning Returns will be out in North America until at least 2014... Same for Disgaea.

Nisa already announced they are localizing Ayesha.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/01/atelier-ayesha-english-version-confirmed-for-the-west/

And even if there are snags, I can always import the Europe version: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/17/atelier-ayesha-headed-to-europe-in-q1-2013/

I have no concerns over being able to play Ayesha next year.

And for Disgaea, Disgaea 4 came out 6 months after it did in Japan, so that would put DD2 in 2013 if they do the same schedule. FF13 Lightning Returns may not make it, though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
As always RPGs are the best genre ever (intentional hyperbole, lay off).

Ni no Kuni:

Quote:
Will Ni No Kuni catch hold? The Ghibli look and grieving-child allegory are certainly attractive, but they're not in line with the Final Fantasy aesthetic preferred by many fans of Japanese RPGs. And Ni No Kuni's even further from the likes of Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Please, people want to play it because it isn't Final Fantasy, Mass Effect or Dragon Age. People want something new and original for a change.

Tales of Xillia

Quote:
All of the Tales franchise's common clichés are in full effect for Xillia. It's set in one of those RPG worlds where humans live amid magical phantasms and technology driven by a bunch of gobbledygook terminology.

Todd, are you ever going to stop summarizing Tales games like this? Way too much overgeneralizing. :l

Most people, including those who imported it before, will get Xillia 1 (despite the numerous complaints they had about it) just so we can figure out the story in English and also get Xillia 2 localized. Xillia 2 has already been hailed as the best Tales game to date and I have to agree. Xillia 1 can be considered a stepping stone to what made the sequel so good, and just from what I've seen of trailers and gameplay videos by friends, the facts speak for themselves.

NIS America: Generation of Chaos VI and Atelier Ayesha (when it will be fully localized) are both definite purchases.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
@belvadeer
I admit I can not see how Ni no Kuni would appeal to the average Mass Effect or Dragon Age fan. I imagine this and Final Fantasy have a lot of crossover appeal, however. It seems American gamers dislike anything anime-looking and not a shooter. Even these few games that good reviews are met with backhanded compliments such as "despite being a JRPG" or "despite using an unappealing anime style". It's a saddened thing if art styles like Mass Effect or Dragon Age are considered a more beautiful style than Studio Ghibli to the American public.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He recruits an army of allies spoiler[(including his own time-traveling daughter)][

...is this a spoiler? I haven't followed details surrounding Awakening that closely outside of trailers, but none of the character descriptions I've seen said anything like this. I doubt this is something they'd reveal pre-release. Confused
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Todd, are you ever going to stop summarizing Tales games like this? Way too much overgeneralizing. :l

It is rather annoying. One of the most notable aspects of Tales stories is they begin cliched and then as it goes on begins subverting and/or deconstructing most of those cliches. Tales of the Abyss in particular ripped the concept of prophecies and destiny into shreds. The only one that IMHO began cliched and stayed cliched is Graces F and I will admit it was the weakest of the Tales stories of the ones I've played so far.

So yeah, simply saying Tales has cliches is misleading. It would be like me saying Watchmen has superheroes and that's it, or Evangelion has mecha and that's it.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nisa already announced they are localizing Ayesha.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/01/atelier-ayesha-english-version-confirmed-for-the-west/

And even if there are snags, I can always import the Europe version: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/17/atelier-ayesha-headed-to-europe-in-q1-2013/

Later, in August, it came out that this was a misunderstanding, and they hadn't actually decided whether NISA or Tecmo Koei themselves would be publishing Ayesha. See
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/19/black-rock-shooter-the-game-still-on-track-for-digital-release-in-the-west/
I suppose it is also possible that NISA could be doing translations, and/or dubs, for this, without being the publisher per se.

But somebody should be doing a NA release.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
It is rather annoying. One of the most notable aspects of Tales stories is they begin cliched and then as it goes on begins subverting and/or deconstructing most of those cliches. Tales of the Abyss in particular ripped the concept of prophecies and destiny into shreds. The only one that IMHO began cliched and stayed cliched is Graces F and I will admit it was the weakest of the Tales stories of the ones I've played so far.

For what it's worth, Graces f was intended to be that way, like a calling card of the simpler style of RPG plots we grew up with. But you're right. Recent Tales games try to avoid mucking around in cliches for too long and I would like to attest to that since the PS2 days of Abyss.

Tales deconstructing, tell me about it. I mean, has anyone seen Tales of Xillia 2? That game just completely erased any original preconceptions you might have about a Tales game being a cliched typical RPG. Plus, just for fun, it's awesome to see Tales characters whipping out cellphones and taking calls before a major story scene unrolls.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tales games would probably draw more attention if they included some kind of extra VS mode. It could include the main cast and also let you play as bosses that have hi-ougis (unlocked as you progress through the story, and toned down for some balance).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Tales games would probably draw more attention if they included some kind of extra VS mode. It could include the main cast and also let you play as bosses that have hi-ougis (unlocked as you progress through the story, and toned down for some balance).

Well you see, they already did something like that. It's called Tales of VS, and from my understanding it wasn't well received in Japan. It looked very much like Tales had gone Smash Bros, but it played very unwieldy and it was essentially a grade-grinding fest to unlock all of each character's moves (again, it's only what I've heard). It was generally unpopular and even importers detested it. Turns out the Mugen Tales fighters I've seen floating around on YouTube are what people want if you're going to combine Tales with fighter elements.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

Needing to force in multiplayer modes in every game is one of the worst things about recent gaming. I miss the days when single player games focused on making the best single player game they could instead of feeling the need to add in unnecessary multiplayer modes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2