• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - License to Krill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Of the same mind on Vandread. Unexpectedly good in odd places, despite the various tropes.

And woo for Punching Puppet Ghaleon on the shelf.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Which is kinda sad, since Divergence Eve actually gradually turns into a pretty solid sci fi horror series once you get past a truly horrible first episode. I was even able to ignore the oversized boobs after a while, which I, too, found them far more distracting than sexy. (I prefer my women with more reasonable-looking figures anyway.)

I'm glad someone agrees with me that it does actually turn into a solid story. It does take the ability to ignore the over sized breasts, as well as a tolerance for some CG that shouldn't have ever been used as well, to be able to enjoy it (least the mecha parts). An Anime with its fair share of flaws, but one that can be surprising in the end.

Glad to see more people are planning on picking up Vandread, I had gotten it a few years back (as the two season set), and was pleasantly surprised by the series. The premise is stated early, and it may make many groan at first, however, unlike many Anime, it doesn't follow the easily predictable flow of events, and makes use of the premise in the best possible way. It's one of those gems out there that if you ever stumbled on it by surprise, you'd find it rewarding and entertaining, which for Anime, can be a rare thing since you often know what you're going to see from the start.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
Just for the record, that One Piece set isn't "mostly" filler, it is quite literally ALL filler. Only about the final 20 seconds or so of the final episode of the set is actually canon.

It is the single longest stretch of filler in the entirety of One Piece, and, thus, most likely the one and only box set that will be 100% filler. The only possible exception might be the G8 arc, which at 11 episodes might be put in its own box, especially since the show's aspect ratio changes immediately following it. Fortunately G8 is easily the best filler arc in the series, whereas Rainbow Mist is easily the worst.

So yeah, Season 2 Seventh Voyage is probably the absolute worst box set in the entire 453+ episode series, and will probably remain that way, well, forever.
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
First of, i gatta say that is one impressive collection! second, i have never seen Vandread, but now sense it is getting so much praise i might have to check this hidden Gem out.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Erin Finnegan wrote:
Despite the man:woman ratio, Vandread never turns into a harem show.

I don't want to start another quarrel about definitions, but I would like to know what you consider constitutes a harem show. Then I would understand better about Vandread.

There are at most 3 women in the series who have designs on Hibiki. Dita, the actual love interest; Jura, who is only interested for the novelty of biological birth and barely counts because she's clearly romantically involved with Barnette; and what's-her-name from Second Stage who gives up pretty quickly when she realizes she doesn't have a chance against Dita.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
These reviews are nice, especially for Vandread, which I'd assumed was a harem comedy IN SPACE from the ads I've been seeing and the gimmicky backstory. Wasn't there a similar setup in Saber Marionette or something?

Vandread: three males from an all-male society wind up on a starship staffed by lots of females from an all-female society. Only one pairing has any hints about romance, though they're all involved in comedy about it. Not really a harem, unless you consider the nude pilot shielding view of his private parts from people who have no idea what to do with those private parts to be "romantic comedy".

The two societies only make more of their own gender because they believe the opposite gender are evil monsters. Or at least have a galaxy-class case of cooties.

Saber Marionette: one male from an all-male society with a bunch of female-shaped non-free-willed robots winds up with spoiler[three somewhat-different robot females powered by his love/affection/moe for them.] Definitely a harem comedy...

The all-male society would like to have some females around again, but they apparently can't make them. How a society that can make test-tube babies that aren't all exact genetic clones of the originals--starting from a genetic stock of five human males--can't seem to make any females is best not thought about, lest you think the whole series is silly. Well, sillier than it was meant to be.
norman728

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I too didn't look twice at Vandread a few years ago. When Starz started showing it I fell in love with it. I bought the first thinpak and am wearing them out. the new one makes me mad I know the OVA's are just the seasons truncated into two Movies But I still wanna see them.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Which is kinda sad, since Divergence Eve actually gradually turns into a pretty solid sci fi horror series once you get past a truly horrible first episode.

Hey now, don't try to get people convinced the CGI gets better. It doesn't. The CGI throughout the series is horrid. Unfortunately, its use is sporadic, so there's no comfortable level to get used to it. It truly is one of the most horrid uses of a computer I've ever seen.

That being said, I once carried the same "I'll never watch it" attitude, but luckily, my logic overcame the CGI and breast augmentation issues since I did pay good money for it.

The series isn't bad, but I'm not going to lie: if one isn't a fan of inter-dimensional sci-fi, there's not going to be an appreciation of the series. One needs to stay awake to follow along and it was tough to do with the boring delivery of the scientific evaluations used to control the Ghoul.

Oh well. Can't win 'em all, right?

I almost forgot. This series may not be to Erin's liking regardless due to Kotoko-01. Anyone here really think Erin will enjoy the series with her in it? Especially with her outfit which isn't the same as the other girls?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Color me jealous of this week's shelf life particularly because of the Hellsing sketch as this person was one of those lucky bastards in front of me in that four hour line at Otakon that actually got a sketch.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree about Dragon Ball season four. Saw it, loved it, reviewed it very favorably in fact. It felt like a cross between the established fun of the show and the action that DBZ seems to get most of the love for; it's just about perfect. I haven't seen any of the episodes that will be in season five, so that should be really interesting.

I admit it, I dodged seventh voyage because I knew it was all filler. I still have the fifth and sixth to watch anyhow.

Okay, as a fan of SF and mecha, I guess I ought to at least rent Vandread sometime now that I've seen yet another "it's not as bad as it looks and sounds" review. I've ended up developing serious skepticism when it comes to harem elements, so hearing that it's basically dodged here helps.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
SO happy to see Vandread get so much praise. This show was one of the major highlights of a few summers back when it would air on the Encore channels. I always found it to be a fun story, and the characters were really cool (though Hibiki would drive me nuts from time to time with the whole "Proof of my existance" thing.) The battles would either get me pumped or leave me laughing, and the whole notion that the boys and girls had never seen the opposite sex before made the show's characters refreshingly innocent, despite the fanservice.

But analitical opinions aside, Vandread was always a lot of fun for me to watch back then (And even now- I have the Funi thinpack... unfortunately, it's not the one with the ovas), and it makes me very happy to see that others also like it just as much.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see you liked Vandread Erin! I picked up the big old Pioneer box when RSI was trying to get rid of them last year after numerous suggestions from fellow forum-goers at TAN. So glad I bought it! I thought the whole "Men think women are monsters" thing was pretty fresh, and the CGI to me was actually quite decent, especially for when it was made. It was a good mix of everything I like in an anime.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
it is certainly less ridiculous with characters who are far less obnoxious and annoying than other super-mecha shows (Gurren Lagaan).

Whoa whoa, I love Gurren Lagaan! I was way more compelled to watch Gurren Lagaan from epiosde one than Vandread. (Could be because I'm a Gainax fan, though...)

GeorgeC wrote:
... But there was a time when most of the shows coming out of Pioneer were well worth a look at. To me, the that whole show (Pioneer Anime) went downhill after it was spun off from Pioneer (the hardware division) and was renamed Geneon.

You should definately listen to this episode of the ANN Podcast if you haven't yet.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I've heard the staff at ANN call these DVD "screeners". Could it be they're different than the actual DVDs from the stores?

Sometimes the companies send loose discs and sometimes they send the actual shrink-wrapped box set. In this case I got loose DVDs so I called 'em "screeners". They were finished DVDs and not "check discs" or anything.

GATSU wrote:
Husband?! I thought you were a teenager. Laughing

I love it when people card me nowadays. (I was born in 1979...)

GATSU wrote:
I think this AMV already answers that question. Rolling Eyes

That one is certainly a classic. Also check out the Dragon Ball Z Silent Movie AMV.

Cosplaybunny wrote:
They're under the episode selection if you still can't find it.

You'd think it would be under "Extras" or "Audio" or something... geez. I watched it on "Marathon Mode" so I never visited the episode menu.

Myaow wrote:
Wasn't there a similar setup in Saber Marionette or something?

Yes! And I forgot to mention it...! I've only seen a little of Saber Marionette J. I really liked the character designs.

DavidShallcross wrote:
I don't want to start another quarrel about definitions, but I would like to know what you consider constitutes a harem show. Then I would understand better about Vandread.

It's my understanding that in a harem show a single male character ends up living with several female characters, often although not necessarily under the same roof. Although he could have a relationship with one, he opts not to or fails at establishing a relationship. Although he could choose from any of the girls, these shows usually seem to indicate that one is the "correct" choice. Here are some examples that I think are fairly agreed-upon: Tenchi Muyo!, Love Hina, Negima, Ai Yori Aoshi, Shuffle!, and Maburaho.

I disagree with some harem examples on TVtrope.org. I don't think Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a harem show, or Haruhi Suzumiya. (Although I could see where they might be...) Code Geass? Really? I haven't watched the second season yet...

I also don't think mine is a black-and-white either-or iron clad definition. A show can be "a little harem-like" without being a harem show "all the way". I think Sister Princess is "harem all the way," but I'm not so sure about Ranma 1/2, although it has a lot of harem elements.

Generally speaking all of the girls in the harem are in love with the male lead. In Vandread all of the girls on the ship are not in love with Hibiki. Many of them are curious about males, but they have no concept of heterosexual love at all. The female-female child rearing on their home world seems to mimic traditional marriage, but Hibiki didn't have parents at all.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I would say Haruhi and Code Geass have strong harem elements without being a complete harem. In Haruhi, Kyon has shown interest in Haruhi (though he'll deny it), Yuki, and Mikuru, and there's even certain moments with him and Kouzimi. In Code Geass, it's beyond the impossible. Lelouch has C.C., Shirley, Kallen, Kaguya, and apparently Milly (though I missed the part where she apparently admitted having feelings for him), and depending on your interpretation, Suzaku, Rolo, Euphemia, and/or Nunally (hey, incest creeps me out too, but there are some implications in the series), and that's not counting the 100+ dates Sayako set him up with.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Color me jealous of this week's shelf life particularly because of the Hellsing sketch as this person was one of those lucky bastards in front of me in that four hour line at Otakon that actually got a sketch.

I think I sat more then 4 hours for it. That was a super duper long day. I also have a ton of Hellsing Cosplay pics from that day. I've been going to cons a long time now and that Otakon is still the only con that I've been to that had a guest I really wanted to see. I'd honestly put this up there on best days of my life because the payout was so great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6