• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Golden Globes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Out of the list of nominees, fingers crossed for Rise of the Guardians. Out of the two on the list I actually watched (the other being Brave), I think Dreamworks really deserves the award.

I've seen Wreck-It Ralph as well, and I think those are probably the top 3 contenders. I'm hoping for RotG as well, I think it was better animated and has a bit tighter of a story than Brave or Wreck-It Ralph.
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Sacred Blood wrote:
Well the thing is, i rarely watch movies nowadays, the ones i do watch are because my friends' insistence. [...] One reason why i ve become so hardcore in my viewership of anime is because i ve grown quite tired of hollywood movies in the last few years and instead of wasting my time on the new blockbuster which i would probably find dissappointing, i would just watch some anime.

Blockbusters are obviously the only films that come out of the big Hollywood studios. And no independent films are ever made, including ones associated with big Hollywood studios. The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Argo, Bernie, Magic Mike, Cosmopolis, Django Unchained, etc. don't exist to you, because its easier to be lazy and talk about something you don't actually have familiar with, and go to an industry that is even more insular.

God.

I understand people being disappointed that anime is not as visible as it could be here in the United States. But it's ridiculous to use the lack of nominations as a means to get on a soapbox to rail against an industry you seem to have little to no real knowledge of. It's like saying that television sucks because of reality shows when we're actually living in the golden age.

Touche. Guess i really have been lazy Embarassed . Trustilotous puts it in better words than me and like him, i never really cared for movies i suppose.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Trustilotus wrote:
An American-based award so it would make sense that they would favour American movies over foreign ones. I don't find these American animated films to be "bad" per se; indeed they are generally quite competent at what they do, but in general I simply cannot stand their aesthetics and find engagement with the storylines. Now, based on previous comments, I will state that I also have little knowledge of the North American animation scene outside of the mainstream stuff, so I can't give an opinion on anything but the mainstream. What can I say? I've never really cared all that much about American animation or movies in general. I simply find that movies are so often too short to really engage me or to make me care about the characters enough to even remember their names. And that's that. The reality is that these awards mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

i know that feeling. no movie this year has captured my interest, but I know about 10 anime movies I liked or have interest in.

Bonham wrote:
It's like saying that television sucks because of reality shows when we're actually living in the golden age.

Television is pretty bad though...... what makes you call this the Golden Age? All I hear is people talking bout stuff like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones which is definitely not golden age material. What obscure shows did you have in mind? Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Out of the list, dunno why Hotel Transylvania is there. At best it could be said about it is it's entertaining, but it doesn't really have much ambition. Maybe because of the Genndy Tartakovsky name?

Sacred Blood wrote:
To hell with hollywood, their movies are the epitome of over the top cheesiness nowadays and reek of unorignality and mediocrity. The fact that movies like the iron man series, avengers, transformers, avatar and the batman movies among others have grossed so high in recent years just disgusts me, all these movies have been sub par at best.

Well, anime has stuff too like SAO, et al, so................

(And The Dark Knight with Heath Ledger was awesome, almost as good as Jack Nicholson's.)

Sacred Blood wrote:

Well the thing is, i rarely watch movies nowadays, the ones i do watch are because my friends' insistence. Lets see now.... the amazing spider man, avengers, the dark knight rises, 21st jump street, the bourne legacy, skyfall and a few others were all the new movies i watched this year and the only one i somewhat enjoyed was the amazing spiderman which was basically because i was a huge fan of the old spiderman movies, all the others were forgettable. So basically, i don't really have any ''top picks of film'' for this year. One reason why i ve become so hardcore in my viewership of anime is because i ve grown quite tired of hollywood movies in the last few years and instead of wasting my time on the new blockbuster which i would probably find dissappointing, i would just watch some anime.

Guess that's understandable; if it's not for you, it's just not for you. But you realize that also makes you not a fair judge of the landscape, right? Like those kiddies who only watched DBZ and thought they knew everything about anime. Some of those films, like Skyfall, are not only good but something ya don't see much even in anime. Haven't seen Lincoln yet, but apparently it has leading 7 nominations.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Television is pretty bad though...... what makes you call this the Golden Age? All I hear is people talking bout stuff like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones which is definitely not golden age material. What obscure shows did you have in mind? Confused

You're really not familiar with how people look to series like Twin Peaks and The Sopranos as harbingers for a different kind of serialized television? A lot of critical discussion generally supports this notion, and even a quick Google search points to this. The kind of sustained, novel-like quality to many of the television shows produced in the past decade on cable like HBO and AMC is a very noticeable move away from network television. The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, HBO's miniseries, etc. These series may have limited viewership compared to far more popular television series -- whether networks sitcoms of the present or past, in television's initial "golden age" -- but that doesn't really say anything about their quality. In fact, there is a greater argument for television no longer being inferior to film.

This subject is really off-topic, and if you really don't believe those series are that great/haven't seen them/think they're not different than what came in the 1940s to 1980s, there's nothing I can do. I'm just frustrated when people seem resistant to the idea that a medium or industry is inherently bad without much knowledge of it.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ugh... no offence to western animation, but this list is horrible. All 3D family comedies. I'm starting to lose faith here.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But I am curious as to what your top picks of film were this year. And "none, because they all suck" is in unacceptable answer.

Word on the internet seems to be Evangelion 3.0. Laughing Can't say I disagree.

Evangelion is an obvious strong contender. Wolf Children as well. Other movies I enjoyed were .hack, Biohazard/Resident Evil Damnation the annual Detective Conan and usual annual shounen movies as well. Tibet Inu Monogatari wasn't bad either. Non-anime had the Fourze send-off movie which was fun and sad to see the cast go. Stuff I haven't seen yet but look interesting are Gothicmade, Nerawareta Gakuen, and One Piece Z.

As for the argument. Eh, only been to the movies a few times this year. Against my will, usually with family or other people. Nothing really "wow'd" me. I can't really get into these Disney/Dreamworks things anymore at my age, not since I was a kid in the 90s anyway. I find the Japanese moves offer more in their arsenal every year. Not to mention as PurpleWarrior13 said, I definitely favor hand-drawn animation as well. Unless it has merit like Biohazard since the game is CG, and it uses a more realistic style.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Ugh... no offence to western animation, but this list is horrible. All 3D family comedies. I'm starting to lose faith here.

Just because they're so-called "3D family comedies" doesn't mean they can't be good; just as moe anime doesn't automatically mean bad. Although I agree with you that there's definitely need to be more variety, just as we don't want mostly moe or high school hijinks anime.

TitanXL wrote:

As for the argument. Eh, only been to the movies a few times this year. Against my will, usually with family or other people. Nothing really "wow'd" me. I can't really get into these Disney/Dreamworks things anymore at my age, not since I was a kid in the 90s anyway. I find the Japanese moves offer more in their arsenal every year.

You should really go watch some when not "against your will." Just as we encourage people in our club to try out different anime, with their own volition and open mind, even if there's just a hint of something that interests them. They may like it or they may not, but at least they did it on their own initiative. We don't force videos on people when they're resisting because having it forced on you already sets up a bad atmosphere around the show before it even starts playing.

And just as I mentioned above, because they're family-fare films doesn't mean they can't be good. Our club is perfectly fine watching Pokemon or magical girl films and other so-called children's anime. Can be good or can be bad, but the fun is in the journey of watching 'em. We all have a kid in us no matter the age.

Generally though definitely needs more variety in NA animation films, especially disconcerting when it's existing side-by-side with NA live-action industries which have great variety, even more so than anime.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm going to provide an alternate view to the typical "trash the NA-produced movies" dribble here.

Of the nominated movies, I have seen both Brave and Wreck-It-Ralph (which, BTW, is aimed at anyone who grew up playing arcade games) and thought both were Excellent efforts that were highly entertaining. I did see The Secret World of Arriety, and while I thought it was Very Good, I was hardly blown away by it and was underwhelmed by its artistry and technical merits. I wouldn't pick it over either of its American counterparts for any award.

Of the list, Castle Transylvania seems the most questionable choice, as critical reviews on that one were pretty weak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
I find myself watching Anime more and finding more interesting than USA animated and live action of late even their children stuff is more interesting a may I say it more adult. Though Anime 18 is more differcult to find these days and Anime in general to rent than years before a great shame. I hope but I am not counting on it that this improve and we go back to the good old days and I can rent it again I looking forward to seeing Starship Troopers Invasion. The USA still thinks it is the World and seems indifferent or whats to isolate itself from it. Sad
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Perhaps there hasn't been any anime nominated for any awards show in the United States because of Hayao Miyazaki not excepting the oscar for "Spirited Away" in person as an act of protest against the Iraq War.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-25/miyazaki-acknowledges-missing-oscars-due-to-iraq-war
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:

Uh... no. Neither Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, nor Rise of the Guardians are comedies. Yes, they include comedic elements, but Wreck-It Ralph is the closest to being a comedy, and it's not. All three have dramatic stories, with RotG probably being the darkest. There's funny quips, yes, but in no way, shape, or form could it be confused for a comedy.

And yeah, I'll agree with Key. Arietty was decent, but nothing to be blown away by. I could see it on the list, but it wouldn't win. Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, and RotG are much stronger.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I honestly haven't seen Arriety and Poppy Hill, and while it's a shame that they didn't get nominated I'd still be likely be rooting for WiR. Captured my heart more than any media on both sides of the pond.

Im surprised by Frankenweenie and Hotel though...mostly because I never heard ANY feedback on those, good or bad. Were they notable at all?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Im surprised by Frankenweenie and Hotel though...mostly because I never heard ANY feedback on those, good or bad. Were they notable at all?

It was mentioned earlier, but Hotel may have been pushed along because Genndy Tartakovsky's name was attached. Though I haven't seen it, I have heard it was fairly average. Which is a miracle in and of itself; to put it into perspective, Tartakovsky was the movie's sixth director. Personally, ParaNorman would have been a better nominee.

Frankenweenie got a 89% on RT and it's a Tim Burton film. I've been meaning to see it eventually, as I adore the old 80's short it is based on. Haven't heard anyone talk about it, though.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And just as I mentioned above, because they're family-fare films doesn't mean they can't be good. Our club is perfectly fine watching Pokemon or magical girl films and other so-called children's anime. Can be good or can be bad, but the fun is in the journey of watching 'em. We all have a kid in us no matter the age.

Are these the same children's anime where you have pedophiles, lesbian couples, and on screen blood, death, and murder? Laughing Seems like Japanese kids anime would be aimed at a teenage or adult audiences here. Especially those in the One Piece range of violence and sexual content. Wink I' guessing those offer more interest to older audiences than a family comedy movie.

Quote:
Generally though definitely needs more variety in NA animation films, especially disconcerting when it's existing side-by-side with NA live-action industries which have great variety, even more so than anime.

Live-action has more vairety than animation? Quite a bold claim there given you don't exactly see those Pokemon or magical girl films coming out in live-action regularly even in Japan Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3