• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimi ni Todoke Manga Ships 7th Million-Selling Book in a Row

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear it. Wish Viz'd get quality stuff like this out faster.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Great series, but I have to admit, I think this is one of those rare series that works a tad better in anime form than manga form in my opinion.

Love both the books and show though, and can't wait to see the movie.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
it deserves it... and more~
i hope i get to see the movie one day Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Somehow I completely missed this.

Seven million copies eh. Death Note managed twenty-six and-a-half million in its twelve volumes, but for a Romance Manga I'd say seven million is very respectable.

It does raise an interesting thought though. If the latter volumes are averaging about a million each, that would mean that the first few volumes wouldn't have sold anywhere near as much. Which would suggest that there are a heck of a lot of people out there (hundreds of thousands) who have bought recent volumes of Kimi ni Todoke but who do not own the earlier volumes. So, how do they know what's going on?

It would be fair to say that most (if not the vast majority) of the difference is made up for by people reading pirated copies spread online. That's a lot of wasted money right there, when it would be so easy to just order another print run of the first few volumes. And this series isn't the only one I've noticed that has a pyramid-shaped distribution flow that is inverted from what you'd normally expect.

Still, despite what appears to be wasted opportunities for more sales, I'm still glad the Manga of Kimi ni Todoke is doing well. The Anime was great, although flawed, and now there's a second season and a live-action movie. The franchise has really become popular, and with good reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1