• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jormungand (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Jourmungand (TV)

Summary:The series follows Koko Hekmatyar, a young arms dealer who sells weapons under HCLI, a weapons corporation.

As one of the company's unofficial weapon sellers, she secretly sells weapons in many countries while avoiding the local authorities and law enforcements as most of her work is actually illegal under international law. Traveling with her is her team of bodyguards who are mostly composed of ex-military veterans.

Her latest addition to her crew is Jonah, a seemingly emotionless child soldier who is skilled in combat yet ironically hates arms dealers. Jonah joins Koko as he wishes to find the arms dealer responsible for his family's death.

What follows is Koko and her crews escapades around the world.

12 episodes, Action

The first episode was interesting. When I first saw the preview image of this show, I thought Koko was a guy and was surprised to see that Koko is actually a girl. She and the kid have weird eye lashes. Anyway it was a nice first episode that introduced the cast and what they do. The action was cool and it was nice to see emotionless Jonah actually have emotions when he laughed at the bear.
Otishio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

When I first saw the preview image of this show, I thought Koko was a guy and was surprised to see that Koko is actually a girl. She and the kid have weird eye lashes.

Exactly the same as me. When I heard Koko speak I was like "wait...She's a girl?" and I laughed. Anyways, Jormungand was the show I was looking forward to the post for the Spring batch and it didn't let me down at all. I love action and it definitely kept my excited throughout the entire episode. I loved the part where spoiler[he threw the grenade and it bounced up the missle to hit a parked car]. Overall I'm pretty happy with where the show is headed and can't wait for next week.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
i watched this on the basis that people said it looked like a new Black Lagoon and while i don't really think it's anything like Black Lagoon beyond the very bare basics (Guns, Seinen) i'm sure glad i did, i've been waiting for something like this to come along for awhile now, great stuff

oh, and there's spoiler[definitely some feelings from Valmet to Koko going on there], it was subtle, anyone else notice?

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
The first episode was interesting. When I first saw the preview image of this show, I thought Koko was a guy and was surprised to see that Koko is actually a girl.

really? i haven't read it but i was always under the impression Koko was a girl

also, i don't think it has been reported on here but this series is actually 2x12 episode series, season split, so this will actually be returning in the Fall to finish off adapting the manga (also confirmed they are adapting the whole 11 volumes)
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
I really, really don't like the derpy character design. It's one thing that's going to bug me forever. It's just... bad. Triangles everywhere, ugh.
Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty interesting, Black Lagoon-like series, lots of real-looking weapons and names thrown around, but not too much realism.
I like Shizuka Itou's work here so far, too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
oh, and there's spoiler[definitely some feelings from Valmet to Koko going on there], it was subtle, anyone else notice?

Laughing You found that subtle? Yeah, I noticed the spoiler[yuri] two-by-four hitting me over the head.

Liked the first eppie a lot. Like others, can't help but think of good old Black Lagoon. It's been a while since a show has scratched that particular type of itch, but this might be the one.
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Volibear wrote:

Laughing You found that subtle? Yeah, I noticed the spoiler[yuri] two-by-four hitting me over the head.

Liked the first eppie a lot. Like others, can't help but think of good old Black Lagoon. It's been a while since a show has scratched that particular type of itch, but this might be the one.

ok, it wasn't really subtle, but noone else mentioned it so i thought it was just me, i'm glad someone else noticed though, although spoiler[i don't really think it'll go anywhere throughout the series, kinda like the whole Rock-Revi tension, its there but thats it]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
After having read what you naughty little children have written about Jormungand, I'm very much looking forward to the legal streams.

I knew that Koko was a ladylike, but that's just because I looked the series up on Wikipedia.

What I find even more interesting than her being a woman is that, as her surname suggests, she's Afghani. That's a cool, unusual choice. I won't be surprised if her being Pashtun proves to be mostly superficial, but it's a nice touch. (She shares her surname with this guy)

Volibear wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Volibear wrote:

ok, it wasn't really subtle, but noone else mentioned it so i thought it was just me, i'm glad someone else noticed though, although spoiler[i don't really think it'll go anywhere throughout the series, kinda like the whole Rock-Revi tension, its there but thats it]

Well, fulfilled or not, it should make at least one person very happy.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This anime is probably the Winner for this season.

yes all the characters are nuts but they started them out as nuts.
so the brutality isn't coming off as faked or forced. so far the lack of psychological twists anime has been bogged down (read: Full up to its neck in horse **** ) lately with is refreshing!"really hope they tell whoever started that trend to go jump off a bridge because anime gets really boring when every series has some 3 episode long explanation of how psychologically screwed up the characters are and six more episodes wasted on explaining how the world sucks in general.

the visuals are appealing great background work and in the first shoot out its nice to see bullets do damage equivalent to their real brethren and not blow up a car in the first clip.

granted this is based on the first episode only and as too many series in the last few seasons have proven whats starts out good doesn't always follow through. so here is to fingers crossed that this series will blossom into a great anime!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
That badass soundtrack, that alpha fight/gun action, the OP song...Koko's sleepwalking and again, the alpha crew.

And the rap @ the end of the preview. Ya, I'll be watching this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Koko keeps remind me of hinagiku because of the same VA
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Koko keeps remind me of hinagiku because of the same VA

I was kinda surprised that Shizuka Itō was the VA for her role since her voice mannerisms differ for a lot of characters like Akeno from High School DxD and Wilhelmina from Shakugan no Shana III. I knew it was her voice though when I noticed that her voice mannerism sounded like Nana from the ongoing Area no Kishi.

Also, it's known that she goes by other alias when she voices in adult games. Well, she definitely has talent, no doubt about that.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It's like Black Lagoon and Inu Boku SS had a strange child; anyone that doesn't think Sofia is like Yukinokouji is blind. I also can see a bit of Spice and Wolf in there.

I think it's at least good thus far, but I suppose I'll just have to see where it goes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no

That line seriously made my day Cool
Arkov

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
Mostly enjoyed the first episode, though I was a little put off by the 'preachy' parts re: guns to live and stuff. Hopefully if they go down the path of trying to have a message, they do it in a less obvious way.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
As an employee of an arms dealer, I'm getting a kick out of this show (Actually, I'm employed by one branch of a large corporation that has other branches that sell very expensive weapons to the 'good guys' and whatever Arab dictator we're friends with this week).

This show has some promise, but it has some serious red flags about it. The Good: Large cast of bizarre and interesting characters, competent female lead, international scope, rampant murder. The last, of course, is the most important, it's good to see mature violence. I doubt very many people could have a show about a non-violent arms dealer, but if anybody could pull it off, it would be Japan. It is the same reason why I think the first Fullmetal was superior to the remake -- the killings introduced a level of maturity, seriousness and realism to the show. The red flags: "Why do you sell weapons?" "For world peace", too much focus on the kid instead of the Koko, shockingly bad CG. A show focused on the Koko would be a fun, ultra-violent romp of a series. Focusing on the kid would lead to an emo-filled drama-fest than would decay into a morality play. And if this was what the first episode animation looked like, I shudder to imagine the endgame. I will give it some props, it was very ambitious. But while the spirit was willing, the flesh (and the computer software) was weak.

I'll keep watching, but I fully expect for this show to go off the rails at some point. I put the over/under at episode 5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21