• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Wins Award in California's Anaheim Film Fest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It's a fine movie no doubt, but what prevented it from being a timeless masterpiece(y'know like Miyazaki), is that it the separation of it's parts aren't so amazing.

Overall, the film is like the anti-thesis to The Sky Crawlers(I don't know if a professional critic already made this comparison, so I'm sorry if it was).
While Sky Crawlers spoiler[demotes or shakes head at present society] ,S. Wars spoiler[demonstrates how present society will still cherish values like family, courage, camaraderie, perseverance and love].
I think it lacked the overall warmth, and engrossing emotions that TokiKake had but... it's a wonderful film.

When they say Academy Award... do they mean Academy Award?
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
When they say Academy Award... do they mean Academy Award?

Where did you read this? I can not seem to find it. For animated movies to receive nominations for an Academy Award/Oscar, it must have a theatrical release. There are also other rules to follow such as how much of the movie has to be animated (a no-brainer there), film length, country of origin, and more.

It makes me glad to see that every time Summer Wars is mentioned, the word "award" is always associated with it. It deserves it in every sense.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed Summer Wars a lot and look forward to the Blu-ray release in 2011.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that gets me on this is that Summer Wars is heading to theaters late 2010. Then, finally being released on DVD/BD in 2011. It's a long wait for this movie as it was made in summer 2009. I plan on getting it aside from the wait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1