• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Shippūden DVD Box Set 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
It never ceases to amaze me how a Carl review almost always falls into one of two categories for me.

1) 100% agreement with my own views, like reading my own thoughts. In fact, it's sometimes so close to what I'd say (if I had Carl's writing style) that it's almost creepy.

2) 100% disagreement with my own views, to the point where I half wonder if Carl even watched the same thing I did, or if he was on drugs when he did (just joking about the last point... well, mostly).

This review is an example of the first case. I can definitely understand the desire to avoid filler episodes as much as possible, but at least those can be skipped. When filler infects cannon episodes like this, there's no choice other than to put up with it or simply not bother watching the series at all anymore.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
I can kinda feel for Carl, because I, someone who loves the power of what shonen can do, find it's often frustrating to savor it...

Or rather, the shonen savors itself so much to the point where whatever magic DID exist got diluted by so much arrogant over-the-top ness.
It's one of the reasons, I try to watch shonens that are under 100 eps.
Still, I'm a bit surprised that Carl did this review(I don't know if ANN's reviewers have any choice(s).
I mean he laid all the obvious bad out, and didn't even care about sugar coating it, but... you can still tell he liked it.

I mean...
Quote:
- Sloooooooow.

...doesn't come any closer than this.

If nothing else, this proves to me that Naruto is both, still something I want to get back to one of these days, and that it's still one of the better shonens.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
At least these fillers aren't as mind thumbing as in the original.

In fact their quite interesting , at least the first filler arc.

Also the dub ( this UNCUT DVD version and not the watered downed disney xd version) is as good as ever , though I still say they should have changed Naurto's voice to a male VA instead of the female VA from the original.

Don't get me wrong , I like it but it does not sound natural for naruto's current age. and if you hear closely during the bridge arc , you'll understand . it's cause of that I would give the dub grade a C+ instead of a B-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how a Carl review almost always falls into one of two categories for me.

1) 100% agreement with my own views, like reading my own thoughts. In fact, it's sometimes so close to what I'd say (if I had Carl's writing style) that it's almost creepy.

2) 100% disagreement with my own views, to the point where I half wonder if Carl even watched the same thing I did, or if he was on drugs when he did (just joking about the last point... well, mostly).

This.

Also, yeah Sloooooooooow.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
I feel you man, and I'm an actual Naruto fan. I pity you had to sit through all that, and the dub as well. I give you many kudos, and a thumbs up.

It frustrates me to no end that Naruto has to be an anime shown year round - how the stretch out everything is enough to have you pulling at you hair, and then you have the inconsistent quality (oh how I wish it'd just be gorgeous animation throughout instead of once every 50-80 episodes) and then... then the filler.

It was enough to stop me from watching the anime again, and just stick to the comic.

But still, I buy the DVDs so my nephew can watch the dub. He's into ninjas now, so I am joyful to throw Naruto and TMNT at him on dvd, even if I never watch them. He's too young to understand how crappy the pacing and animation is.
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
From what the way this went, I'd be better off waiting 10 years and hoping for a Naruto Shippuden Kai then struggling through this.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
From what the way this went, I'd be better off waiting 10 years and hoping for a Naruto Shippuden Kai then struggling through this.

I'm with you there. I'm hoping when the manga is done they completely re-animate the whole bloody thing - filler free, and with a budget.

I better become a millionaire so I can help make it be. >.>
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
To the reviewer, the filler gets much worse later on. I was hoping that I could buy Shippuden like I did with Naruto(without most of the filler). Looks like I won't be able to do that.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Well the experiment of dragging out the manga didn't work out so well that from the next manga arc onwards the pace really speeds up and it's good really good but the price of that is they introduce filler arcs and not single episode and short arcs oh no long boring multi episode arcs that make you wish they didn't introduce small amounts of canon into them.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
The (canon) episodes after Naruto and Sasuke's reunion are relatively much better paced, that by the time they reach the Madara and Pain material it flows much, much smoother. Early Shippuden is a snore fest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1