• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari) (OAV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
I did a few searches and was dumbfounded to discover no series discussion threads on this show. So, here we are:

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar
AKA: Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
AKA: Saint Knight Story in an Alternate World

Plot Summary: Kenshi Masaki is the half brother of Tenchi Masaki and used to live in Japan, that is until he was summoned to the land of Geminar. The Land of Geminar has been witness to an endless amount of wars that have been fought using Seikijin, bio-mechanical weapons controlled by a capable warrior called a Seikishi using magic power called Ahou. It is revealed that Kenshi is an amazing Seikishi and it seems someone has a reason for Kenshi to be in Geminar, but who and why are not known.

Finally getting around to watching it.

I'm such a sucker for a Masaki Kajishima story, only two episodes in and I'm hooked. I do worry that it must go downhill drastically or something, considering how little I hear about it. Apparently it never had a series discussion thread, I haven't even heard a hint of anyone licensing it.... maybe if Funimation's new releases of the old series are successful? And apparently no fansub groups were ever fighting over who got to get it out first and now, only months after the final release was put out have I noticed that the entire series has been subbed.This is a Tenchi related story though, you'd think it'd automatically garner discussion and licensing demands.

It certainly starts off strong, first episode gets in some good fighting, second episode really sets up the harem trappings and even sets up a school setting, oh the best of both worlds. And as one schooled in the other Kajishima stories I'm also geeked to see the multiple references to his less popular series. We've got high-heeled bio-mechanical mecha that are usually piloted by girls, as in Dual and multiple names and general concepts taken from Photon (Princess Lashara, the last names of "Earth" and "Nanadan", cute two-tailed critters called Koro,, Ahou Energy). I really like how he sets up all of his series in related alternate worlds (at least the ones he's directly involved- not the TV shows or Sasami stuff), it gives you the idea there's a grand scheme to the whole thing but while everything feels familiar there is usually quite a bit unique in each separate entity and the can stand on their own.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shinmigumi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
looks like it is going to be a good show. I might watch it.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Just finished this last month I want to say. First two episodes are probably the strongest. After them it gets less and goes towards school life and your usual (sort of) harem stuff. Its does get serious again in the later parts of the show, but it left me a bit unsatisfied on the whole though I still enjoyed it.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The fansubs for this series is horrible. Groups quitting, bad Blu-Ray rips, and I needed 2 different codec packs to watch it properly. Neither WMP classic or WMP could watch it properly. Probably need a VLC player for it but man, a huge pain. *exhales*

With that being said, I really liked the show dispite all the headaches and always hope for a legit version. It's a harem series which is to be expected just like past tenchi series but more modern meaning more risque. But I liked Kenshi. I was really tired of the hapless male in harem series so I found his character refreshing even it wasn't nesscarily original. When I watched episode 1, I was thinking spoiler["Oh man... I wish he just kick their asses. But he probably won't and go all Shinji or like that kid in Dual." and then WHAM! He delievers a beatdown.] It was great.

The action does somewhat slow down for like 2-4 episodes but I still found them enjoyable. The ending was okay but a bit dissappointing. Make you want a second season but the series doesn't feel like it was popular enough for another one. If I could get my hand on a decent set of fansubs or a legit version, I'd be happy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
The fansubs for this series is horrible. Groups quitting, bad Blu-Ray rips, and I needed 2 different codec packs to watch it properly. Neither WMP classic or WMP could watch it properly. Probably need a VLC player for it but man, a huge pain. *exhales*

I discovered the unlikeliest best player for "playability" is Vuze's own player (if that's your BT engine), it seems to play everything without extra codecs. The controls are crap though- doesn't even have ffwd or rwd. Yet, if something doesn't play in any of the three other players I have on my computer, it'll usually play on Vuze's.

So, what do people think about the apathetic response to the show? I could maybe understand if interest waned but apparently from day one there was no excitement for the show. Are people burned out on Tenchi? Is such a long release schedule too much for such a show? I have to admit that second reason was part of the reason I hadn't watched it before now, I wanted to wait until it was all out to watch it. It's the same reason I'm not watching Katanagatari, I'd rather wait.

As for the reaction to Kenshi, yes, it is awesome that he is initially very capable. Most of the guys in Kajishima's harems are actually capable fighters who only occasionally allow themselves to be beaten by the ladies, Kenshi does seem to be a special brand of fighter. The first episode wherespoiler[ he beats down an entire squad of soldiers unarmed] was a very good moment. The same in the next episode where he's ambushed spoiler[ by the two elf guys but could obviously handle them if needed], definitely a breath of fresh air for a harem hero in this day and age of almost universally milquetoast leads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Overall, i would have to say the show was pretty enjoyable, granted i have enjoyed many of the other tenchi spin offs, with the exception of Tenchi in Tokyo. The show overall is a strong show, there are a few episodes that could have been done better, but overall i would say it has a good storyline. However, i think they could have done a little more with the ending, and some of the characters at the end of the show. Some of the characters at the end just kind of felt like they were tossed into the last episode not because they were needed to the story, but because they needed to make an appearance since they had been on the show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Started Monday, Finished Wednesday. Absolutely loved it.
(I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise from a guy whose avatar is currently from Photon)

If it weren't for a couple problems I might add it to my Masterpiece ratings.
1) For a harem show it was a drawback that none of the girls really connected to Kenshi on a personal level- no one on one training sessions, no getting trapped together in the rain, the only couple times he was alone with a girl were very brief and didn't go anywhere. It was interesting that he was actually immediately physically attracted to one of them, but that didn't lead to anything either- just some mutual blushing.
2) although they served their purpose the "evil" antagonists were boring and without a hint of nuance. Babulan was a stereotypical cackling baddie and they never once even gave a hint to his motives or final goals and Lan was a freaking idiot who never succeeded in a single thing she did, yet was always in some sort of command position. Doll, Dagmyer, Ulyte, Neiza and even Emera were all decent conflicted types though. there were some other faults with character motivation and lack of history were weak as well.
*) I could almost call it fault that the second half was all about a war but no one spoiler[was ever shown to have been killed (not counting Babulon). A few bad guys could have perished during the struggles (The crew of the "Meteor Falls" and the guy who planned Ceres' forced kamikaze plot and was thrown off the cliff) and maybe civilians died during the attacks but it was never explicitly said.] And usually I think it should be required to show more weight to the happenings of war but I just don't think it would have worked well in this show. And it's not like the actions were frivolous. All threats and dangers really felt real and the fact that worse didn't happen was mostly due to the actions of our hero Kenshi. And while the pilots of the Seikijin usually seemed able to recover ably, the fact that the Seikijin's themselves were often torn to shreds provided a real visceral punch.

The pluses were many. In the light moments Kenshi was such a nice, cute, playful guy. His nature seemed to be very much inspired by Photon Earth, but with personailty of a 12 year old instead of Photon's almost pre-pubescent personality. Yet when he has to fight he really does kick serious ass- once again probably inspired by the almost invulnerable Photon. The two even share an interesting scene spoiler[(both shows feature a scene where the hero carries a girl on his back and basically jumps off a mountain)]

The girls were also quite cool and capable themselves. Sure, there was the period in the beginning of the second half when spoiler[Chiaia was basically worthless as she moped about Dagmeyer] but each character really showed their strength.

The action of the show was great, whether hand to hand combat, mechanoids and Seikijin's fighting or cannons firing it always gave me an awesome impression.

How this show has gotten so little attention is a real mystery to me.
Thetruthofall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

First off im going to say that for those who hasn't seen this anime should stop reading i will discuss some spoils in it.

There was some loose ends in this anime and other things that i would like to discuss.

spoiler[In the scene were kenshi was in the bed man Mexiah came and threw that bracer, in this scene there was a bit of confusetion. I didn't really understand wether Kenshi was a full doll or a hybrid but i presumed he was a hybrid, so i just wanted to check if this was right Razz]

Also in the end there was some text about stuff and it seemed to that the series wasn't quiet done, so i wonder if there will be a second season comming up. What do you think ?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@Thetruthofall:

1. Welcome to the forums! Cool
  2. Apparently, there are no announced plans (see here).
Thetruthofall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks Smile

Yeah well i knew that but it was aired in 2009 so 1,5 year so it's not too long they aired it Razz
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Leaving things unfinished is a big annoying part of Masaki Kajishima stories. He always leaves ample room for continuation of his stories but often moves on to something else, either becasue he's restless or bmaybe becasue the series wasn't successful enough to warrent a continuation (Dual is a good example of this). I guess there are also Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari books, but they're untranslated.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I found it to be generic harem with a mech twist. Good for laughs and had some good action at least. It had good characters but too many, so it ended up not doing much with any of them. Then it ends with spoiler[a generic ending in which a choice of women is not made.] No clue as to what the text at the end means.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the text at the beginning and end represents spoiler[Washu cryptically talking with, most likely, Sasami/Tsunami and/or Tokimi, or someone else, about the reasons they had to send Kenshi to this other dimension.]

Of all of Kajishima's works this one really has to have the very least revealed about relevant back story, but it also ably resolves the core conflict of the series. I'd rather prefer a prequel to a sequel to this story, one that connects and tells the story of what is apparently a 15 year gap between the last Tenchi OVA and this story. Hey, it might even be a story that reveals who Tenchi ends up with.

It gives the impression of a huge epic story- told in fun harem-y sections.

As for the harem criticism, I understand it but mainly forgive it in this show. While all of the girls seem to like Kenshi, none of them hinge their happiness on him and I admire the show for that- every girl in the show could move on without Kenshi, feel good about having known him and not get hung up on losing him too much. It features some of the strongest, most independent female characters I've seen. If there's a problem with the harem story it what I mentioned above- Unlike the other Tenchi shows, none of the girls are ever given significant personal time with our hero to connect with him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1