• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
manga suggestions with good art

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for manga to buy that has good art. It doesn't have to be liscenced. (I'll see if Sasuga Books or something carries it.) I'd prefer for them not to have a higher age rating than teen or older teen if need be. With OT age ratings though, I'm okay with stuff like Rurouni Kenshin, but not the Saiyuki OT level. It can be shounen or shoujo, but preferably not too cute. Nothing longer than 15 volumes unless it's still running. Anything is fine. Exceptions are the following: Nobuhiro Watsuki, CLAMP, Yuu Watase, Arina Tanemura, and Alichino. Thanks in advance,
-Sy

Last edited by .Sy on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well.... you said nothing more serious than "older teen" but I just cannot not reccomend you "Real" by Inoue Takehiko. It`s not your typical "great art", more like really detailed, life-like manga, but it is one of the best I`ve ever seen.

Next we have I''s, your typical (at the beggining) high school romance, but as many will tell you, Katsura really pulled up his sleeves while making this one. The art is Really Beautiful.

Aaaaaand let us not forget Berserk! A great fantasy manga, but it is over 20 volumes already so I guess you wont want that. Hmm...
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Planetes. It's a story about space in the future. It's only 5 volumes long but I feel that it accomplished more in those few volumes than any other manga I've ever read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Planetes. It's a story about space in the future. It's only 5 volumes long but I feel that it accomplished more in those few volumes than any other manga I've ever read.

Planetes is very good. Not that it has the best art or anything, but you should definitely check it out. At 5 volume (volume 4 is split in 2 part), it's short and easy to collect.
Ashton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou has amazing art. Especially some of the landscape images are breathtaking. There are 12 volumes so far and it is still running.
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Go damit, how oculd I forget: Walking Man Razz
It is kidna strange... its about a guy who goes for walks. But the art.. you should see it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Ashton wrote:
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou has amazing art. Especially some of the landscape images are breathtaking. There are 12 volumes so far and it is still running.

The manga isn't license, so he wouldn't be able to buy it.
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter:
Quote:
It doesn't have to be liscenced
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Exceptions are the following: Nobuhiro Watsuki, CLAMP, Yuu Watase, Arina Tanemura, and Alichino. Thanks in advance,

Are those exceptions because you don't like the art, or because you've already seen them? If you don't like it, then...I have nothing to say to you. :P Hehe, but if you do, I'd reccomend Plannet Ladder by Yuri Narushima. 7 volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Those exclusions are mainly titles that have been taken care of.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
You should definitely check out Qwan. The art is fantasic and detailed... done by Aki Shimizu (she also worked on Suikoden III). After reading the first volume, I was hook. It's a nice adventure with mystical creature and light hearted humor. It remind me a lot of One Piece, but without being too outrageous or silly. Qwan is a boy sent from the heavens. He devour demons and absorbs their power. Him and his lowlife pal, Chikei are on a quest to find an ancient verse.

Also since it's based on a chinese tales, the character's clothing style are unique from what you normally see. It's also not every long, I think about 3 volumes.

Wink
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
I second Walking Man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
I second Walking Man.

Just about anything drawn by Jiro Tanaguchi is going to look great. Icaro could be his most impressive art, but I like Benkei in New York, as well as Walking Man, better. If you like Tanaguchi's style, Katsuhiro Otomo is another great choice. In addition to the fact that his writing is some of the best out there, his art is incredibly cinematic and detailed.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is great, with a wonderfully unique artstyle, with some of the most beautiful enviroments I've seen. Blade of the Immortal is another manga with a wide range of great art; from quietly beautiful moments to brutally violent action. It's especially impressive past volume six, though the early art is still impressive.
If you want something a bit diffrent, try one of Iou Kuroda's manga. He draws with an organic style that's full of detail and energy. Sexy Voice and Robo is coming out in a couple of months from Viz, and it's his most impressive artwise. In terms of storytelling, Japan Tengu Party Illustrated can't be beaten, though we probobly won't see it published over here anytime soon.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:06 am Reply with quote
How about Death Note? I really enjoy Takeshi Obata's artwork and I'd recommend Hikaru no Go as well...but that one's 23 volumes.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm already taking care of all of Takeshi Obata's works. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1