Forum - View topic
NEWS: All-Girl Band ZONE to Break Up in April




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
thanks for "secret base ~Kimi ga Kureta Mono". Love this song.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4348
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame. Honestly they were a really nice band and their new CD wasn't too bad. Was looking foward to more Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banjo



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 696
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
bands usually break, solo is the way to go
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
bands usually break, solo is the way to go

groups > solo in Japan and Korean.

Arashi and ABK48 are super popular in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Emerje
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6822
Location: Maine
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see there are still some groups in Japan with enough self respect to break up when the studio screws with one of their members.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Banjo wrote:
bands usually break, solo is the way to go

groups > solo in Japan and Korean.

Arashi and ABK48 are super popular in Japan.


Nana Mizuki and T.M. Revolution says otherwise.

On a different note, really sad to see ZONE go after semi-reviving 2 years ago. Their tribute album in 2011 following the Ano Hana anime was a fantastic piece of work that not only featured many nostalgic tracks from their works a decade ago but also a nice mix of other contributions ranging from ClariS to sphere to SCANDAL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guildmaster



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 348
Location: Hot & Humid FL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
bands usually break, solo is the way to go


Where have you been living for the past 40 years?

Can't say I'll miss Zone - never saw or heard them, but from what I read, they hadn't done much for more than 7 years - 1 CD in 7 years is not the way to keep things going in the music industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sparvid



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
If Miyu Nagase's contract is already terminated, does that mean that the April 7th "ZONE" concert is basically a Maiko Sakae solo performance?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam Murai



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1021
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
"I've decided to bring ZONE to an end with my own hands"? That sounds like the lede to an epic fighting anime parody along the same lines… Cool

ZONE made some nice music and they are the latest in a recent span of groups going their separate ways. Too bad they had so much trouble over the years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13713
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

ZONE made some nice music and they are the latest in a recent span of groups going their separate ways. Too bad they had so much trouble over the years.


Many J-bands are manufactured by "talent" agencies anyways, so band members often don't choose their own co-workers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Banjo wrote:
bands usually break, solo is the way to go

groups > solo in Japan and Korean.

Arashi and ABK48 are super popular in Japan.


Nana Mizuki and T.M. Revolution says otherwise.

On a different note, really sad to see ZONE go after semi-reviving 2 years ago. Their tribute album in 2011 following the Ano Hana anime was a fantastic piece of work that not only featured many nostalgic tracks from their works a decade ago but also a nice mix of other contributions ranging from ClariS to sphere to SCANDAL.


Nana Mizuki and T.M. Revolution have nothing on Arashi and ABK48.
They are popular with anime fan. Arashi and ABK48 are mainstream.
ABK's CDs sold like millions. Anime Songs don't sell 500k.

http://www.generasia.com/wiki/2012_Oricon_Top_50_Singles_-_Half_Year

even back in 2010. Arahi and ABK48 are always super popular.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-20/top-selling-cd-singles-in-japan/2010
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
AKB48 also has a number of people buying multiple copies thanks to the whole election gimmick. I'm pretty sure that alone would keep them performing better than most bands even if only idol otaku cared.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guildmaster



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 348
Location: Hot & Humid FL
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

ZONE made some nice music and they are the latest in a recent span of groups going their separate ways. Too bad they had so much trouble over the years.


Many J-bands are manufactured by "talent" agencies anyways, so band members often don't choose their own co-workers.


Just like some "groups" here in the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13713
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

ZONE made some nice music and they are the latest in a recent span of groups going their separate ways. Too bad they had so much trouble over the years.


Many J-bands are manufactured by "talent" agencies anyways, so band members often don't choose their own co-workers.


Just like some "groups" here in the US.


Generally, groups in the US have more freedom under their record labels (sometimes the source of a lot of the tension), and they typically form their groups even before signing a recording contract. Plus, their agencies work for them, not the other way around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group