• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Californian Senator Links Games to Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
[I also think that people who want to shoot at stuff are much less dangerous if they are allowed to do it in a virtual environment than let them grab the first gun available and go to the post office to do a carnage because there ain't no law to restrict gun use in their State - but then again, I am an idealist...]

http://crx.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/04/27/0093650212446622.abstract

Some participants played Resi 4 with a pistol shaped controller, others played Resi 4 with a regular game controller. When given a realistic-looking (and weighty) airsoft pistol and told to shoot a target mannequin (this is real life now), the participants that played with a pistol controller had 99% more headshots and 33% more total shots fired overall.

Nobody was told to shoot for the head.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
Good luck voting out a Democratic senator in California. She's gonna be untouchable until she leaves the Senate either via retirement or existence-failure.

It's also hilarious how the politicians love to go after the first and second amendments, while the seventeenth amendment is the one that's really starting to cause serious damage to this nation.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Now, instead of throwing out vague personal anecdotes or ad hominem attacks, why don't we use facts for once. This might surprise you, but video games and violence has been studied a lot, and no correlation has been found. Citations:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/12/data-helps-rebut-the-violent-video-games-cause-shootings-argument/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/01/study-violence-in-games-not-that-compelling-for-most-gamers/
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/02/8887/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/04/study-finds-stable-personalities-unaffected-by-violent-games/
And these are just a few examples. So why does Senator Feinstein think video games are a problem?

Try doing a look at recently published (since 2012) research, not research done 6 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2012&q=video+game+aggression&hl=en&as_sdt=0,14
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
Good luck voting out a Democratic senator in California. She's gonna be untouchable until she leaves the Senate either via retirement or existence-failure.

It's also hilarious how the politicians love to go after the first and second amendments, while the seventeenth amendment is the one that's really starting to cause serious damage to this nation.

That one cuts both ways, too. Perfect example: Strom Thurmond. But I digress.

@Happiness for Subaru
Re: the Resi 4 example, that may less be correlated with violent intent and more with muscle memory. Zombie games by definition teach you to aim for headshots rather than center mass due to their in-game effects. Not to say correlation may not exist, but that particular example has a perfectly valid physiological explanation.

Target mannequins are still a fairly long way from actual people - they're pretty far on the other side of the Uncanny Valley (and thank goodness for it).

Interesting data points, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm eternally grateful anime will never achieve enough status or notability for anyone to blame it on anything. Maybe it's best that anime do stay unnoticed by the mainstream, forever. I rescind my opinion about Hollywood A-listers being in dubs, it's a bad idea.

I can't imagine how these ignorant politicians would perceive the moe stuff if they actually found out about it. They'd probably call it all a pedophilia breeding ground or something.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Geez did they even try to prove it?
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm eternally grateful anime will never achieve enough status or notability for anyone to blame it on anything. Maybe it's best that anime do stay unnoticed by the mainstream, forever. I rescind my opinion about Hollywood A-listers being in dubs, it's a bad idea.

I can't imagine how these ignorant politicians would perceive the moe stuff if they actually found out about it. They'd probably call it all a pedophilia breeding ground or something.

I'm fairly certain that comparison has already been made in a handful of court cases.

But then, politicians spend their whole lives in legislatures and boardrooms and courtrooms and, well, in government - to expect any of them to live anything remotely resembling our everyday lives is borderline unfathomable. I'm not sure a lot of them watch any American television outside of the news, much less Japanese animation. They wouldn't have the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, here we go again. For the last 500 times, video games does not cause violence. Even FBI profiler are smarter then her when it comes to the mind of the criminal, serial killers, and mass murderers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
@Happiness for Subaru
Re: the Resi 4 example, that may less be correlated with violent intent and more with muscle memory. Zombie games by definition teach you to aim for headshots rather than center mass due to their in-game effects. Not to say correlation may not exist, but that particular example has a perfectly valid physiological explanation.

Target mannequins are still a fairly long way from actual people - they're pretty far on the other side of the Uncanny Valley (and thank goodness for it).

Interesting data points, though.
That you say things like "muscle memory" (do you mean "implicit memory"?) and seem to think that "muscle memory" (implicit memory?) is an overwhelmingly physiological process leads me to think you need to learn the basics of the relationships between memory, physiology and psychology a tad more.

I'm glad you find it interesting too, though. My jaw dropped when I found this study a while back! Hopefully the government will give financial support to studies with such dramatic, extreme methods.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I will say it again, preventing people from getting what they want will not keep them from doing so if they want it bad enough! This is the flaw in your gun control argument. So let's keep those that want to defend themselves from those kinds of people that shouldn't have those weapons from being able to! 2nd Amendment was created the way it was for that reason!
The nagging problem with that stance is the boundry between those two situations has been so blurred that no one can define, and thereby tell, where one changes over to become the other.
Sathelys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
None of this kind of thing happens in Canada..maybe it's because we don't allow RANDOM people to walk around with GUNS.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, here we go again. For the last 500 times, video games does not cause violence. Even FBI profiler are smarter then her when it comes to the mind of the criminal, serial killers, and mass murderers.
Video games are strongly linked to aggression. While certain aggressive behavior, such as aggressive speech, is not really violent... I think making the conscious decision to blast people with loud noise is violent behavior.

http://www.lip.univ-savoie.fr/uploads/PDF/1335.pdf

This part of the post is anecdotal: Getting repeatedly noise blasted like this can become quite painful.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
I personally think that attacking all games that have violence is incorrect, but I do think certain title are extremely inappropriate (like Gears of War and God of War)---those games promote explicit violence to a point that its disgusting even playing them
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
You can link any thing to violence if you believe hard eough
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I will say it again, preventing people from getting what they want will not keep them from doing so if they want it bad enough! This is the flaw in your gun control argument. So let's keep those that want to defend themselves from those kinds of people that shouldn't have those weapons from being able to! 2nd Amendment was created the way it was for that reason!
The nagging problem with that stance is the boundry between those two situations has been so blurred that no one can define, and thereby tell, where one changes over to become the other.

Doesn't matter, we have the Second Amendment for a reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5