• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Californian Senator Links Games to Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:
I hate how he makes it sound like that the first and second amendments are bad things. Politicians today are just so...gah, can't even think of the right word.
They're an impediment that stops the government from "doing something" - and if the government doesn't do anything, how are they supposed to pander to their electorate?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
Violence in video games, violence against women in video games, violence against animals in video games, she'd always have a cause.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Quote:
"I think video games is [sic] a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games, and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns."

'Video games affect people.' ...

This is to whoever wrote what Hagaren Viper quoted (it seems to have disappeared!)

You need to re-read the first two amendments and then the 10th Amendment.

The amendments do not limit the people, rather they limit the power of the federal government. The 10th amendment is pretty clear about this.

That said, I do believe there is some correlation b/w incessant watching of violent TV and playing violent video games and behavior in some people. The whack job in CT is an example. Other environmental factors can exacerbate or mitigate this correlation.

hellsingfan01 wrote:
i think this person needs her head sorting yes the dark knight rises shootings were bad but those had nothing to do with games that was the movies ok and i play grand theft auto for hours doesn't mean i go out and blow people's heads off afterwards these people should actually go out and ask more then one person what they think before they come to any conclusion

And this, well, it just reinforces my opinion of the validity of some people's arguments.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Doesn't matter, we have the Second Amendment for a reason.
But is that reason still valid?...

Yes it's still valid. Remember the reason Lexington and Concord came about.

As to the canadian poster; you have your own problems up there, which are far worse than ours.

WRT the moe diversions, there has already been a murder case in Japan several years ago. Which also proves that one does not have to have a firearm to be a murderer.

And No I can't stand feinstein either...
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm eternally grateful anime will never achieve enough status or notability for anyone to blame it on anything. Maybe it's best that anime do stay unnoticed by the mainstream, forever.

I have to agree with that statement.

While I don't think there is any correlation between violent media and violent behavior (unless someone is mentally unstable to begin with), I'm willing to participate in a reasonable discussion about the issue, which I think can only lead to the same conclusion among reasonable people.

But then when 'Senator Feinstein' is mentioned, I just roll my eyes and move on with the day. She probably has about as much practical experience with video games as she has with guns, which is to say not much at all, but they are great issues for her to talk about at political fundraisers with her nanny state constituency.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:
I hate how he makes it sound like that the first and second amendments are bad things. Politicians today are just so...gah, can't even think of the right word.
They're an impediment that stops the government from "doing something" - and if the government doesn't do anything, how are they supposed to pander to their electorate?

The amdendments are there to limit the power of the government and give power to the citizens. That's how this country was built. The US government shouldn't have the right to say what games we play nor should the government disarm its people.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Fienstien can't take my guns so she goes after my games...how bout fixing the mental health system and stop releasing mentally disturbed people and making drug companies do more testing instead of tossing out happy pills like candy
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The second amendment is largely outdated. It was created back when the only weapons we had were muskets and the worse thing you had to deal with was an inaccurate cannon that lobbed metal spheres into a group of people. Back when there was no real dedicated army like we have today and it was expected of people to defend their country if the need arise, for example, from bandits and Native Americans who attacked the frontier settlements. When the only transport method were horses, even any small army the country had wouldn't be much help of saving your home from attack if it had to ride for a week before it could get there. So there was a need and expectation of people to have weapons in order to create a militia if the need arises.

These days with the government having a large dedicated army spread across land, sea, and air. With the possession of tanks, jets, submarines, battleships, bombs, automatic weapons, and other arsenal the average person can't obtain, the idea of some 'people's militia' doesn't exactly hold up anymore.

You obviously do not understand the history and the reasons for the founding of this country. I invite you to spend some time educating yourself on it before posting inaccurate nonsense like this. I would explain it to you, but you might gain a better understanding if you were to learn some of it on your own. I'm also quite busy with duties here in the CZ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5