• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dark Horse Manga Editor Carl Horn Interviewed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Okay, just read the summary for Ohikkoshi and hot damn why have I not heard of this little gem before now? Jeez. I have got to track it down and check it the hell out!
Jure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
What? I once ordered Ohikkoshi but my order got cancelled and refunded for some reason. Apparantly, once I ordered it, they realised that item is out of stock.

Last edited by Jure on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Fans aren't buying. Laughing
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
lol, they put up the wrong Vampire Hunter D on the interview page. Wrong picture and different publisher Razz
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
I was a bit confused when I read this article because I bought Ohikkoshi five years ago. I didn't understand why ANN would be reporting on it now. But if that's what Carl Horn wanted to talk about, then so be it. It's not a perfect manga, but I did enjoy it.

So far, Dark Horse has done a good job releasing Kurosagi. I hope it doesn't get dropped. It's one of my favorite titles and I really want to see how the story (eventually) ends up. I'm hoping that "have not sold as well as they deserve" means the series is still turning a profit for Dark Horse.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I was a bit confused when I read this article because I bought Ohikkoshi five years ago. I didn't understand why ANN would be reporting on it now. But if that's what Carl Horn wanted to talk about, then so be it. It's not a perfect manga, but I did enjoy it.

It's an "Interest" article-- and let's face it, Carl pretty much always has something interesting to say! As far as I could tell it was the first time Ohikkoshi's sales figures had been discussed publicly, even if the series isn't new.

That said, Kurosagi may not be doing as well as it deserves, but I'm pretty sure they'll keep releasing it (barring a major disaster)-- at Comic-Con a couple of years ago they announced that a potential movie was in the works. We haven't heard anything since, but it usually takes these kinds of things a long time to happen anyway.

...Also, I'm a huge fan of Kurosagi, and an optimist. >_>;
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember that I bought Ohikkoshi because I picked it up in Barnes & Noble and figured I would like it. The local B&N has gutted their manga section since then, relegating it to a couple of bookcases of popular shounen series mixed in with the science fiction and fantasy section. I'm not likely to have the opportunity to encounter a similar work there again.
Aliera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
It's not hard to see why Ohikkoshi didn't sell, imho.

I read it, and while it was very well written, great art etc, it was hard to see who the target audience was supposed to be. The mangaka is most famous for Blade of Immortal, but Ohikkoshi is lacking in the sort of the stylish action elements that he's famous for, being a romantic comedy. And it's not exactly popular shoujo romance fare, either.

All in all, it's not that it was a bad manga, but the appeal...

Same with something like Eden. A bit too existential for a hard boiled action crowd, but not heavy enough for the Vertical serious lit. types. And the ultimate wandering lack of direction in the later volumes (and lack of an ending afaik) is enough to turn most people away.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Aliera wrote:
It's not hard to see why Ohikkoshi didn't sell, imho.

I read it, and while it was very well written, great art etc, it was hard to see who the target audience was supposed to be. The mangaka is most famous for Blade of Immortal, but Ohikkoshi is lacking in the sort of the stylish action elements that he's famous for, being a romantic comedy. And it's not exactly popular shoujo romance fare, either.

All in all, it's not that it was a bad manga, but the appeal...

Same with something like Eden. A bit too existential for a hard boiled action crowd, but not heavy enough for the Vertical serious lit. types. And the ultimate wandering lack of direction in the later volumes (and lack of an ending afaik) is enough to turn most people away.

Dark Horse announced back in September that they would resume releasing the remainder of the volumes of both Eden: It's an Endless World and MPD Psycho now that market has stabilized. So Eden should receive an ending in English.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Love Kurosagi and Carl Horn's notes section in each volume are fun and educational treats. I thought about picking up the Evangelion manga he edits just for the notes! (I'm not an Eva fan, so I haven't, but I bet the notes are fun!) Laughing

While I'm glad that Dark Horse sticks by their licenses and is planning to continue releasing Eden and MPD Psycho, I question the award for "Best Manga Publisher." Dark Horse publishes more American comics than manga, and they have cancelled titles--Translucent was a favorite of mine, and I know of many critics who mention Club 9 and its lack of GN ending when they mention DH.

But then again, I didn't get to vote for "Best Manga Publisher."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1