• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tom Cruise's All You Need Is Kill Poster Showcases Powered Armor Suit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
this could be interesting, but I seriously hope they force feed Cruise his medication
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
That's hardly a suit of armor, it's more like a "powered exoskeleton". Considering how exposed he is it is no wonder that he is constantly dying.

Also, as Duke Nukem says: "Power Armor is for Pussies."
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
I don't know the source material, but it seems like this poster is meant to crib some Elysium buzz.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Well I can see why they would want to change the original engrishy name. However the new name is not an improvement.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
eeeeew tom cruise eeeeew
Correl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm just impressed that the studio let them cover Tom Cruise's face for the poster. Most of the time, A-listers won't be wearing helmets, regardless of how much sense it makes for their characters to be wearing one.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Edge of Tomorrow? God, what a dreadful, super-generic title. It almost sounds like something ADV would use as a subtitle for one of their DVDs way back in the early-2000s.

Still need to read this book though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
I'm just impressed that the studio let them cover Tom Cruise's face for the poster. Most of the time, A-listers won't be wearing helmets, regardless of how much sense it makes for their characters to be wearing one.

As am I, but don't worry, his name is almost as big as the title's and it gets top billing so it probably balances out.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:

One of many reasons why the stallone judge dredd movie sucked and the more recent karl urban one was much much better
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
What stupid exec decided to change the name from a really cool one to a f***ing bland one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Well that explains that. There was no way I could imagine the original title actually being used in the US, it sounds way too engrishy to be taken seriously. This isn't really a step up, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Correl wrote:

One of many reasons why the stallone judge dredd movie sucked and the more recent karl urban one was much much better

Hey, it's The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort: the less actively a combatant pursues his own defense in a fight, the less likely he needs to. Anime girls follow it to a T. Laughing
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Urgh not at at all the way I pictured the Jackets from the book, I mean admittedly I've been influenced by Yoshitoshi ABe's cover illustration - I pictured something sleeker around the face and somewhat more form fitting. This just looks like a motorcycle helmet and and anti-stab vest with some power loader arms strapped to it. Meh.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well I can see why they would want to change the original engrishy name. However the new name is not an improvement.

Given that "Edge of Tomorrow" is a well known work by Isaac Asimov the choice is even weaker.
EastN3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Just....no. All You Need is Kill sounded original and interesting. Edge of Tommorow sounds like generic action flick #856. Bad show, Warner Brothers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2