• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any Yatterman Fans Out There?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicBox

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this series? Better yet, is anyone a fan?

Granted, it's a really obscure franchise. If you only recognize any of the characters in that image because of Tatsunoko VS Capcom, don't feel bad. That's how I got my introduction to them as well. But now that Anime Sols is legally streaming the series AND giving us a chance to get DVD releases, I figured it'd be a perfect time to spread awareness.

There are two different versions of the Yatterman TV show.

Yatterman (1977 Series) - 108 Episodes

Yatterman (2008 Series) - 60 Episodes, 01 Movie, & 02 Specials

As far as I can tell, the 1977 series never had a movie, but according to the Japanese Wikipedia, a "blown-up" version of episode five was shown theatrically at a Toho film festival in 1977. The characters also appeared in the 1993-1994 "Time Bokan" OVA (which actually was released on DVD, uncut and bilingual, in America, believe it or not). And of course, there's the 2009 live-action movie, which I'm sure at least some of you have heard of. Discotek has licensed that and is planning to release it later this year.

So, anybody a fan? Favorite characters? I highly recommend the series if anyone's interested. Again, Anime Sols has both the original 1977 series and the 2008 remake on their website, so check them out and even donate money for a DVD release if you want. Oh, and the theme song? You'll never be able to get it out of your head. Proceed with caution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1