• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga-ka in Tiff with Son's School

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Whoever runs that school is an uptight dumbass. It's a MANGA. They need to get over it. What, because the manga-ka's son goes to that school, they think it's THAT particular school? Geez, they need to get over themselves. People will complain about anything these days.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Whoever runs that school is an uptight dumbass. It's a MANGA. They need to get over it. What, because the manga-ka's son goes to that school, they think it's THAT particular school? Geez, they need to get over themselves. People will complain about anything these days.

I gotta agree... they're blowing things out of proportion. Shocked
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Now wait a sec... were the kids in the panel lookalikes for real people? Was the "5 dummies" thing a direct reference/quote of something from the school, or just coincidently similar? And a half-dozen more such questions...

There's really not enough information here to draw any sort of conclusion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Starwind: She could be sued for libel if the characters portrayed in the manga are too similar to any of the kids at school.
Derrasanc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dont forget the school name was used..... ouch...
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it seems to me if the school is getting upset over this issue it may very well be because such a thing is going on. As opposed to making a cover up attempt they ought to do something about that problem. I highly doubt that, if it is based on true events, the manga-ka just happened to make something like that up to insult anyone. Perhaps the school should be more worried about its own failures than its public image.
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
Actually, it seems to me if the school is getting upset over this issue it may very well be because such a thing is going on. As opposed to making a cover up attempt they ought to do something about that problem. I highly doubt that, if it is based on true events, the manga-ka just happened to make something like that up to insult anyone. Perhaps the school should be more worried about its own failures than its public image.

Well there really isn't enough information in the article to prove either opinion, but to me it doesn't sound like a problem that ought to be covered up. I guess drawing five kids and then naming them "the five class dummies" isn't an attempt to show how bad the school is. I mean there are kids like that everywhere.

Like ACDragonMaster I'm just wondering if you can tell which five kids she refers to by looking at her drawing and if the picture is based on what her son told her about them...
Is this all the information you can get from the yahoo website (I can't read Japanese)? Is there more information anywhere else?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Exactly my point. We don't know the details of this case, so it's impossible to pass judgement. Maybe the school's being reactionary over something that's of no importance, or maybe the author did go too far. But it's foolish and very childish to go around throwing blame at one side or the other without having a clear picture of what's going on.
AzuNinja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote
Are you aware of the court systems of Japan? Freedom of Press and Speach is an AMERICAN law.

She could be sued for Libel, but also Sedition, seeing as schools are government run, and probably sent to jail for either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
AzuNinja wrote:
Are you aware of the court systems of Japan? Freedom of Press and Speach is an AMERICAN law.

She could be sued for Libel, but also Sedition, seeing as schools are government run, and probably sent to jail for either.

Technically, the laws in the U.S. and Japan are simular. Interpretation of those laws are often different. Teachers could probably get away with refering to five kids as five dummies and do that in front of the class. They might very well expel her son and get away with it even though he has nothing to do with it. |Everyone would remain oh so polite.

All the best,

Nani?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
If the manga artist is sent to jail because she wrote a story and just happened to include a few GENERIC class clowns, than Japan's legal system has way too much free time.
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
She made a statement to this article on her official site September 1.
http://www.toriatama.net/

I'm too lazy to translate entire statement.

She was sentenced from PTA chairman not to join PTA activity
because she is a problematic person (as manga-ka).
Then she sent a statment to a city office.
But they didn't admit the fact (forbidding her PTA activity).

She need 3 month rest for her depression due to this incident.
She is a comedy manga-ka and even write mean things.
It's a matter of course that she is disliked for it.
She wouldn't claim "freedom of expression" nor "human right" for this incident.

Mainichi Kasan on MSN-Mainichi Interactive.
http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/kurashi/women/etc/riezo/
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
Emil Scherbe wrote:
AzuNinja wrote:

Huh?

She could possibly be sued for libel, but not sedition. However a lot of unofficial pressure might be brought against her in the sense that her younger children might have a harder time getting into good schools etc.
Also in America it's not libelous if it's true. It the Japanese system your likely to be retaliated against and the courts will simply not recongnise the connection between one act and another or worse, feel like it's justified. "How dare you insult the school and the poor teachers which are doing thier best for you and your ungrateful children" rather then in America where the response might be, "How dare you, as a teacher, label kids the "five dummies".

All the Best,

Nani?
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
"How dare you insult the school and the poor teachers which are doing thier best for you and your ungrateful children" rather then in America where the response might be, "How dare you, as a teacher, label kids the "five dummies".

I think your are biased too.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Of course I'm biased on some level and your not? I'm not sure which side you think I come down on. What I am trying to do is illustrate differing underlying attitudes and that's all I'm trying to do.

Bias is simply the way one see's something, it is neither good or bad. But I look at each situation individually and make a judgement. Tell me you have no preconceptions?

Personally, both societies have some warts.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2