• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Detective Conan Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The real question is whether FUNimation will release it all over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dgao94

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they will ever show the movie here until a very long time....
Don't they have a new movie every year....
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm with slickwataris on that one. I don't collect a series unless I'm quite positive I can get the whole thing. Conan I'll save for the rentals, but the movies I'm willing to spend money on. Some of them have very high ratings here, so I'm interested.
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Likely.

I don't know WHY they bothered to report this. There's a new DC movie every year.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
What Funimation should try doing about the series is to get CN to give Case Closed another chance and get it shown in primetime. It could replace DBZ uncut. DBZ uncut showed that CN can now show PG-rated stuff at 10:00-11:00. A PG rating is fits Case Closed.

Just like Yu Yu Hakusho, it only stayed for a short time in AS so it could still be moved.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Conan movie 6 is the only one I personally think is worth owning, but it'll be a while before Funimation gets there, if history is any judge. *has been waiting for DBZ movies 12 and 13 for years*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that if Funi releases the movies over here, they will probably wait until certain points in the series so that the movies makes sense and so that they don't spoil upcoming events and characters in the series

I'm not sure about all the movies, but the one I saw had quite a bit of spoiler at the begining of it for some episodes I hadn't seen at the time
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
That's true. The movies always do a little intro for every character, and the intro for Ai Haibara after the point she is introduced is always 'spoiled' in the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Was my post deleted? When I said I'd rather have subs than dubs I wasn't referring to fansubs Confused
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
Was my post deleted? When I said I'd rather have subs than dubs I wasn't referring to fansubs Confused

It was still off-topic, and risked dragging the entire thread that way (dub vs. sub being a sensitive item & all).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
JTtheBrick wrote:

It was still off-topic, and risked dragging the entire thread that way (dub vs. sub being a sensitive item & all).

Ahh I see, thanks for letting me know.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Heh, I stopped buying the Detective Conan movie manga after the third movie when I realize it wasn't going to end any time soon (I thought the third one was the last, guess again). As for getting released in the States, I doubt it'll happen unless Detective Conan/Case Closed can take off some how.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Heh, I stopped buying the Detective Conan movie manga after the third movie when I realize it wasn't going to end any time soon (I thought the third one was the last, guess again). As for getting released in the States, I doubt it'll happen unless Detective Conan/Case Closed can take off some how.

Well, I'm sure Funimation is going to hold onto it regardless and keep releasing it. The problem with Detective Conan, at least for me, is that the re-watchability factor is almost nill. The first time you watch it, you're going through a fresh detective story and have fun trying to figure out who-done-it. But once you see an episode, it isn't nearly as interesting the second time around, because you know the solution to the case. The movies have the same problem, except for 6. In that one, the actual case at hand isn't focused on for once, as the bulk of the movie is watching Conan and crew wander around the world of Sherlock Holmes, making for a generally entertaining movie.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:

Well, I'm sure Funimation is going to hold onto it regardless and keep releasing it. The problem with Detective Conan, at least for me, is that the re-watchability factor is almost nill. The first time you watch it, you're going through a fresh detective story and have fun trying to figure out who-done-it. But once you see an episode, it isn't nearly as interesting the second time around, because you know the solution to the case. The movies have the same problem, except for 6. In that one, the actual case at hand isn't focused on for once, as the bulk of the movie is watching Conan and crew wander around the world of Sherlock Holmes, making for a generally entertaining movie.

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking. But I would still end up reading the manga again as opposed to the shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1