• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Tutu Release Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
With the re-release of the first volume, and the second coming, will the first just be a repress, or is ADV going back and actually changing Ahiru's name back to Ahiru?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I may actually check this series out, since I've heard nothing but rave reviews when the 1st DVD came out....

If I don't buy it, at least I'll rent it from Netflix. Either way, I will see it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu is a cute series with a great classical soundtrack. I'm glad they have worked out the release kinks..

/is still waiting for Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It's about time. Been waiting for this volume for months.

GoodLuckSaturday: Even if it isn't just a repress, they wouldn't change Duck's name back to Ahiru, as it would defeat the purpose of the character being named after an animal.

Check out my review of the first volume, where I explain that point in detail. Sorry, but this is a very shaky point on which to be pushing complaints about "ADV not being faithful to the original." They are, by having changed the name to Duck.

Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok is coming in mid-October, so you won't have to wait much longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
Great, I've been wanting to check this one out.

On a similar note, the second half of Kaleido star will start shipping around that time too, right? I wasnt too happy about ADV giving a release date, then just abandoning it entirely.

Plus, while I'm thinking about it- There are way too many excellent boxsets coming out this winter. I wish I hadn't switched to part time. Stupid college. Sad
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Really happy ADV has the R2 extras. That should dispel the complaints that ADV is only doing "dub-only" extras (which I really liked anyway. Dub outtakes are great Smile) Dangit all, November 29th just can't come fast enough...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

On a similar note, the second half of Kaleido star will start shipping around that time too, right? I wasnt too happy about ADV giving a release date, then just abandoning it entirely.

I think there's going to be a thinpak boxset of the first season, but no release date for second season yet. Don't worry, though, as I've heard ADV plans to start releasing it early next year (one of the VA's has confirmed that recording of the dub had started back up on Kaleido Star: New Wings)
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Really happy ADV has the R2 extras. That should dispel the complaints that ADV is only doing "dub-only" extras (which I really liked anyway. Dub outtakes are great Smile) Dangit all, November 29th just can't come fast enough...

With Advent Childern also comming out on November 29th, Tutu will be overshowed by it.

Hell the store I work at only ordered one copy of Tutu.
75 copies of AC are hedding to our store. That dose not count the 55 pre-orders we have.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me for not shallowly judging this news based on its regionality, but... what ARE the R2 extras?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Pardon me for not shallowly judging this news based on its regionality, but... what ARE the R2 extras?

The extras that were included on the Japanese (R2) DVD release. Smile DLW on AoD said he would try to get a complete list of them. I don't know what they are myself since I don't have R2's of the series.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Well going by what DLW said, the so called dub-only extras on vol 1 arent really dub extras.
Emichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I am very happy that they have finally sorted out their issues with the "packaging" and will include the extras, even if at a later date.

The whole name change to Duck really really irritated me. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if they used Duck for the dub and Ahiru for the sub with a 1-line translation note. The inconsistency was annoying too. They translate Ahiru, but not Mytho? How about Kraehe? Hearing her proper name 'Ahiru' and seeing 'Duck' was enough to make me turn off the subs and watch it Raw. (It's like watching Card Captor Sakura, and having the subs say 'cherryblossom-chan' instead of 'Sakura') I figure that if I am going to be watching this raw, I might as well get the really pretty region 2 set (especially vol 6, that cover is just wonderful *_*), so that is what I am saving up for instead Very Happy The box is pretty, and has some of the music too. Anyway, end rant Anime smile
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Early on in watching the fansubs, I came to the conclusion that if Princess Tutu were ever dubbed, Ahiru's name would have to be changed, but I envisioned she'd be called Ducky, not just Duck. But I got used to that. What really riled me up when the names were annouced was Mytho and Fakir. Luckily, the dub still pronouces Mytho like Muto, but Fakir did not revert to Fakia Anime hyper
So yeah, I'm curious how they'll handled Kraehe/Claire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
Early on in watching the fansubs, I came to the conclusion that if Princess Tutu were ever dubbed, Ahiru's name would have to be changed, but I envisioned she'd be called Ducky, not just Duck. But I got used to that. What really riled me up when the names were annouced was Mytho and Fakir. Luckily, the dub still pronouces Mytho like Muto, but Fakir did not revert to Fakia >_<
So yeah, I'm curious how they'll handled Kraehe/Claire.

It is supposed to be "Fakir". It's just that in Japanese the "r" is barely pronounced (which is why it ended with "a" when spelled in hiragana). Or at least that's what I think... Mytho(s) is a harder justification, though I'm guessing that pronunciation is derived in some way from the original Greek spelling of the word (muthos), kind of how Japanese pronounce Cerberus as "Kerberos".

I haven't seen them myself, but since the dub eps. from Vol. 2 have aired on The Anime Network, it's been reported from those who've seen it that "Kraehe" has been left intact (though not sure if I've heard anything about pronunciation)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1