• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Story of the Class

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
How is the old guy more likable than Noctis and the others? What if he is a silent dude like Auron who never says anything important for the plot? And why is the blond guy annoying?
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate what they're doing with If My Heart Had Wings, and I really hope it sells well for them. I played the demo they had on their website and was really impressed with the interface and artwork. I'll be getting it within a few months myself. Hopefully it can make the jump to Steam, where it will be able to get some good exposure.

And really, most H-Scenes are added on anyways, and they don't help with much. I don't see the difference between making an all-ages version for mainstream PC and making an all-ages version for gaming consoles, honestly. If you need to see these characters bone that badly, just go find a CG pack after you're finished.

Plus, this game has a heroine who is in a Robotics Club. How can I NOT play this?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
You''re already aiming at a niche. Now you're telling that niche they can't get the entire product? That does not fly. It's why versions of games with extras on one console outsell versions on another that don't.

Hopefully they reconsider, or at least give consumers the option of playing an uncensored version, or an option to toggle the H scenes on and off. You cannot make the decision for them and expect your product to sell.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
The last three games have not only had a female as the main character, but also she was the main marketed figure. So now a game returns to having a male lead and male pushed image and it's bad? You kind of have to have equal opportunity here. We've had a about what 5-6 games where the female character has basically been the lead and the main promo image. I see nothing wrong to have the next game swing in a different direction.

And yet, why is this even a real issue? If we're taking a "feminist" issue here with the supposed lack of a strong female character, why not take issue with XIII-2 and it's dress spheres that put it's maybe respectable female lead in awkward positions. Or her costumes that do nothing help her "strong" image.

And really a cliche rating? As if the FF women characters would be anymore unique. FF character's will be cliche, at most they will be well done cliches.

And I can't even believe its a real postive issue people have with this game. Not when I see "OH noes dudes and not cute girls, I can't have my sad little made up harem". Like really, you can't play a game because it dosen't have female characters in it? It's funny because the cry for female characters for some here is anything ,but a positive. It's "I want something cute to look at" and how dare women have a pretty guy to look at.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Does anyone find the latter backwards? The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the one JRPG game with AAA status that actually gave some consistent notice towards playable female characters compared to most other AAA games. This having just playable male characters feels like its conforming to those games that are already filled with main male characters.

Maybe we're going back to that atrocious age where women were treated as only damsels to be saved again. Egads, I certainly hope not. D:

...Although, I find it very hard to believe we'd go back to a puerile time when video games were treated purely as a "guy's hobby" and every hero was always male (well other than Samus Aran surprising the hell out of everyone when she took her helmet off).

To be fair, we know almost NOTHING about the female characters yet. They could very well be playable. They could very well be just so badass and awesome that the game won't even let you play them because you would just destroy everything within a 1000 mile radius.

Hey. Ya never know. It could happen. (Regardless, I'm more interested in the male characters anyways.)

Definitely getting If My Heart Had Wings. I'm in such a visual novel kick right now: X Note, recently released 'sequel'/tie in Area X, Train of Afterlife, Otoboku..... got my hands full and more just keep coming my way. (Love it. Absolutely love it. Keep localizing these PLEASE!!!)
Shotsy322

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit dissapointed that the VN will be censored but I can see what they're going for. Unfortunately it will most likely end up hurting them in the end because the censorship doesn't always stop at just the H scenes. To me, it's like watching an R rated movie that was edited for TV. You can watch it and see the story, but you can still tell it is different from the original intent (like when a swear is dubbed over).

I also agree that it would be nice to have the option to toggle the H scenes on and off. If a function like that were available, then I think that virtual novels would fare a little better in the US.
ishmael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before, I'll say it again, whoever is in charge of anming at Square Enix for the last few years should be fired hard with no hope of ever finding a new job. Seriously, since FFXIII it seems they are naming characters, series and even quests by playing pseudo-latin Scrabble. Even as a 12-yo dungeon master I amanged to come up with better names than that. And that's saying a lot. Evil or Very Mad
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The Final Fantasy series is pretty much the one JRPG game with AAA status that actually gave some consistent notice towards playable female characters compared to most other AAA games. This having just playable male characters feels like its conforming to those games that are already filled with main male characters.

The thing is, other AAA male-filled titles aren't necessarily designed to appeal to Japanese female sensibilities. The trailers for FFXV so far seem to indicate that many of the male characters are very attractive by Japanese female standards. What makes it a bit confusing, though, is that with the growing herbivore male demographic in Japan, I also get the impression that these designs also appeal to modern Japanese male gamers as well. Maybe SE is trying a "Prince of Tennis"/"Kuroko's Basketball" approach here, with a handsome cast of male characters that Japanese guys think are 'cool' and Japanese girls think are 'hot.'

Some Westerners may jump to the idea that the lack of female playable characters indicates potential sexism, but I do agree with the sentiment that if you look at it from a Japanese perspective, SE's approach to FFXV is likely more appealing to Japanese female gamers than previous entries in the series, strange as it may sound.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again, whoever is in charge of anming at Square Enix for the last few years should be fired hard with no hope of ever finding a new job. Seriously, since FFXIII it seems they are naming characters, series and even quests by playing pseudo-latin Scrabble. Even as a 12-yo dungeon master I amanged to come up with better names than that. And that's saying a lot. Evil or Very Mad

But Latin chuuni is awesome!

That and some things are correct: Noctis Lucis Caelum means "Heaven of Night (and) Day" in Latin though I would expect "Caelum Noctis Lucisque".
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
i will buy IF MY HEART HAD WINGS and not play it. I just hope more companies will bring more none hentai VN to English speaking countries.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
But IMHHW was an eroge, that's been bowlderized.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi Fantasy Laughing

Kikaioh wrote:
The thing is, other AAA male-filled titles aren't necessarily designed to appeal to Japanese female sensibilities.

I'd say so. There's a big difference between this and your Call of Duty/Gears of War game with a male cast. These are made with female appeal in mind Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
There's a huge difference between testosterone and fujioshi.

All I know is that the latter is not for me.

Anyway, Neo Geo X. There's a review right here which explains the problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iHoOK5HCHA

The big one being- It's not a real Neo Geo. It's an emulator. As a result, the quality of the emulation is slightly to significantly, depending on the game, worse than the original Neo Geo. And it's rather expensive, while an Android phone Neo Geo Emulator runs from free to about $3.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
And hopefully 15 will find that balance.

I see nothing wrong with pretty dudes being the cast, it's FF of course the people will be pretty. Even back in the day they were. While Nomura obviously makes them look like Japanese pop stars, to be fair these are probably his most reserved characters in a while. They truly don't look ridiculous.

I've seen the complaint that they don't look manly. As if manly does not include looking say suave, just muscle bound. No, these characters don't look like Arnold. Two of them look like pretty tough dudes. The others just look pretty dudes, and one looks like your typical young and fun dude. But there's nothing wrong with that. I don't need every male character to be Marcus Fenix or Kratos. Sometimes I like my main mans to be dressed up in a suit, it can look just as cool as military stuff.

But hopefully the characters act as cool as they do and don't find themselves to be too angsty. Don't have to be some murderer to be a cool male character in games.

And I don't see why it wouldnt appeal to women. As if they don't also appreciate eye candy or good characters regardless of their gender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This IS Tetsuya Nomura, after all. Is anyone actually surprised at the fujoshi baiting?

Anyway, what I really want to know is why all their shoes have red bottoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5