• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fantasista Doll (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote

Fantasista Doll (TV)

Plot: This original story revolves around cute dolls who fight and power up with special cards.

Episode 1
Who in the world is this anime made for? It has a set up that ignores the details like it is some sort of magical girl anime meant for young girls, but references Magic the Gathering, horror movies, and the ED seems to imply some sort of yuri harem. Not that I complain about that part. *shifty eyes*

Despite the name of this series, it actually seems to be some sort of card game anime, and Uzume Uno (get it, her last name is a card game) for some reason reminds me a lot of Sakura in a kind of magical girl way. The kicker being that the ANN article lists this anime as "science fiction". Oh, and apparently spoiler[her teacher dresses up like Tuxedo Mask and threw flowers into her window]. That guy was way too old to get away with what might work in something like Sailor Moon.

The only way I can express my thoughts on this episode is something that I felt when I first watched Nanoha, like a child show who's aspects are not quite right.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Wow. Are we the only ones watching?

Anyway, I thought this was okay. It seems to run as a typical Mons anime. Hero(ine) meets dolls, a guy behind it appears, typical stuff. Seems like the kind of anime that toy companies would want, and Nelvana or the like might have gotten it if it hadn't ultimately wound up with Sentai like the other 90% of the season's anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Nope, you two are not the only two watching. I liked it. Nothing radical or innovative going on here, but it appears as if fun will be had. Did Japan pass some law stipulating that virtually all white/silver-haired anime characters must have quiet, emotionless voices?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Did Japan pass some law stipulating that virtually all white/silver-haired anime characters must have quiet, emotionless voices?

Sad
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
and the ED seems to imply some sort of yuri harem. Not that I complain about that part. *shifty eyes*

I'd say the sudden six girl tub party where all the girls call her master implies "some sort of yuri harem" Laughing

I doubt this will be a particularly kid-friendly series, it's otaku pandering pretty damn hard and it's set a wide-choke shotgun approach to hitting every flavor it can (Horror? Check. Seinen Magical Girlfriend? Check. Shonen Action? Check. Magical Girl? Check. Yuri? Check.)

Despite that, I'm looking forward to see where all this is going. It's a pretty ridiculous mish-mash of different tropes, but so far it's congealing nicely.

You aren't alone in getting the Sakura vibes from Uzume, either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Did Japan pass some law stipulating that virtually all white/silver-haired anime characters must have quiet, emotionless voices?

Sad

Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I wouldn't say there was any actual "horror" content at work here, beyond the protagonist briefly watching a horror movie on TV, and there's no real romantic angle that would strictly qualify as a "magical girlfriend" thing either. That seems a bit of a leap. Not to mention that having action sequences isn't particularly gender-restrictive these days.

I would admit this does remind me of Nanoha in the sense that it's a very girly show which happens to be aimed at guys who like such things, but even then I'd note the fanservice wasn't nearly as overwhelming as what I've seen elsewhere. In fact, given the almost entirely female cast, I'd have expected them to place a lot more emphasis on it. Honestly, I could also see some girls wanting to watch this for other reasons.

So far I'd argue Fantasista Doll is really just a typical magical girl show that incorporates several card game elements and a few obvious yuri vibes. I'm not dying to find out more about it at the moment, but the series seems perfectly alright.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So this is a new type of a card game.
It nice they raised this kind of anime to a new level.
It's not my kind of thing anymore...
Use to watch card game anime when I was a kid ^^"
It's different, it's interesting, but I think it's more for kids.
Skipping it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This is close to a drop for me. For some reason, it didn't appeal to me as I had thought it would. The character designs are nice though but the premise seems a but dull for my liking. I'll give it a 2-3 more episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't feel much like Nanoha to me. Nanoha, from almost the very beginning, was eerily age inappropriate--the heroine has a strong drive, responsibility, and maturity that was quite jarring for a child of that age. It also emphasized combat with consequences quite early. It was very much a seinen action series with a magical girl guise. Contrast with Fantasista Doll, where the heroine displayed bouts of immaturity and felt more like a girl of the appropriate age. It felt more like Angelic Layer or Shugo Chara to me.

So, so far the harem has:
2 tsunderes (Sasara and Katya)
1 kuudere (Akari)
1 onee-sama (Madaleine)

Think Shimeji will turn out to be a yandere?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh, and apparently spoiler[her teacher dresses up like Tuxedo Mask and threw flowers into her window].
Wait, spoiler[that was her teacher]?! I COMPLETELY missed that when I watched the episode. Sailed right over my head.

I'm going to have to pay more attention next episode. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
I like that the master is a girl. Otherwise the bath scene will be a cliche 'the dude accidentally walks in and got punched to outer space'. Also the white paint on their nude state is the most ridiculous censorship out there. Oh well, at least it's visually better than blinding light. I'm hoping that the entire team will fight together next time as opposed to the typical duel.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Despite knowing my desire to see a genderswapped Nicol Bolas dragongirl will never bear fruit, I'll stick with this one for a while.

As for the skin paint bodysuits, I actually like it because it's fresh to me and has a kind of majestic quality. It's not like it's just for censorship. It's more like their underwear, as we clearly see they don't have it when they're in the water.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
#2 was okay as well. I didn't really see all that much new, but I do like how they set up [/spoiler]the cliffhanger[spoiler], and I thought the scene at the beginning with Akari waking up Uzume with an attack was hilarious.
casualfan wrote:
I'm hoping that the entire team will fight together next time as opposed to the typical duel.

Well, almost. spoiler[Sasara refuses to fight until the last minute due to an argument with Uzume, but everyone else fights, but they fail, and she's forced to deal with them alongside Uzume (who's using trap cards).]

Last edited by MadMan400096 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

*singing* Fantasista doll! (the part from the OP)

I should be disliking some of this kind of dated feel, but it just feel so nostalgic to one of the first anime I have seen (Card Captors) that I can't help but love those aspects. But is not it is all like it feels old, there is good animation for the action and such. I like how Akari did all those cool moves only to lazily hit the ground, it looked cute, also she continually has a teddy bear hugging her.

Don't know if I said this earlier, but Madeleine is hot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6