• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
METROPOLIS returns to Montreal March 8th...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't find this mentioned on the News page, but on page C9 of Friday's Gazette, there's a full page ad for movies distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis Vivafilm that are playing or coming soon to Montreal theatres. In the top left corner, quite prominent actually, there's the ad for Metropolis, which will be in town starting March 8th. Unfortunately, it doesn't say at which theatre, though if I had to guess, it will be the AMC Forum 22, since they show more "niche" stuff than the Paramount. (For those of you wondering how Metropolis could be "returning" to Montreal, it's because it was shown at FantAsia last July... that sweet, sweet month (extended to the beginning of August this year) when us Montreal anime fans are just sooooo spoiled; although I couldn't get tickets myself, so I'll be seeing it for the first time.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Lucky you, where I I've metropolis will never be shown in theaters Evil or Very Mad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:29 pm Reply with quote
There's also a good chance that the showing might be at Cinema du Parc, they show Anime from time to time. In fact Akira is showign at Parc right now, and Jin-Roh was there a month or two ago.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that it would have played Cinema du Parc sooner or later (I saw Jin-Roh there when it was playing), but usually if it gets an ad as big as it got in the Friday Gazette, it indicates that it may play at a bigger venue. Films that play only at du Parc (a rep cinema for those of you not familiar with the Montreal movie scene) tend not to get ads nearly that big, if they get advertised in the paper at all. This is quite a good sign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Do girls in canada like anime?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:41 pm Reply with quote
dudesup wrote:

Do girls in canada like anime?

Interesting question, actually. At the now defunct anime club I used to attend, it was about 90% a "sausage-factory", but 10% female, and they weren't all "uglo-Canadians". You find a lot of girls in Canada who are Sailor Moon fans, since Sailor Moon has been popular since 1995 here due to the fact that YTV put it on twice a day when it first started and for several years after that, including in the peak after school "Zone" cartoon block. There are also many Cardcaptors fans. At most FantAsia anime screenings, I'd say the mix is about 70% male/30% female, a little higher proportion of females if it's something like a Miyazaki film, a little lower for cyberpunk type flicks.
Vertigo1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Channelside theater here in Tampa bay was the first theater in the US to show Jin-Roh, and they showed Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust recently, so hopefully Metropolis will show up here.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I just checked the Cinema du Parc website, and Metropolis isn't on the schedule there. I then checked the official Metropolis site, and after searching through pages of useless Flash and Pop-up, I found a release schedule with a cinema list, but they haven't updated the schedule to include which cinema it will be playing it at Montreal. Finally, I checked Cinema Montreal, but they don't have Metropolis listed. I'd still say the even money's on the AMC Forum 22, though there's an outside chance it will play at the Paramount (I think it played at the Toronto Paramount), or perhaps the Famous Players Centre Eaton (still around, though it shows mostly films that have been out a couple of months).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't say at which theatre, though if I had to guess, it will be the AMC Forum 22, since they show more "niche" stuff than the Paramount.

Yep, my guess was correct, it is playing at the AMC Forum 22. Not that I'm about to give Miss Cleo a run for her money anytime soon... the odds were about 50/50 that it would open at the AMC Forum as opposed to the Paramount, since these are pretty much the only game in downtown as far as first-run English-language films are concerned, as all of the little cinemas closed. If you want to split hairs, Tempest is probably correct too in that it will likely play at Cinema du Parc at some point in the future after its current theatrical run is over.

Oh wait, I could give Miss Cleo a run for her money after all, since she's a fraud too.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Woo-hoo! I should add that, according to the review (**** out of five) by Mark Lepage on page D4 in today's Gazette, we're getting the subtitled version! I prefer subs, though I certainly would have paid to see the dub.

Excerpts: "The film is, in its way, an amazing conflation of Philip K. Dick, Batman comics and the Bible, and Tezuka beat Spielberg's A.I. to the drawing board by decades (the comic dates from 1949). The film weaves its major themes - logic vs. emotion, man vs. machine - into its major ontological questions. Who am I? And where do I plug in my circuits to blow this metropolis to futuresmithereens[sic]?"

"Metropolis is a genuine feat of cartoonery. When next year's Oscars are held, its creators deserve to walk away with as many bald bookends as they can carry. However, by the time little Tima, President Boon, Rock, inspector Shunsaku Ban and his nephew Kenichi reach their climax, Metropolis has proven itself to be the four-star movie I will care least about this year."

(Damn, I had to type this out myself, instead of "cutting-and-pasting", since this review doesn't appear on www.canada.com/montreal , the joint Global TV Montreal/Gazette website.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:45 am Reply with quote
Okay, now I've seen it.

It was an enjoyable enough film from an entertainment level, and it was lovely to look at, (Do you smell a "but" coming? How right you are.) BUT I didn't find the message of the film nearly as profound as what I'd read about it.

My problem with the movie reminds me of an experience I had 4 years ago, when I was in Dawson College, taking a Science-Fiction class. I tried to get the teacher to show the first Patlabor movie because I was convinced that it had a deep and profound message. the teacher was a little reluctant to view it becuase he thought of all Japanese animation as being like Sailor Moon (and there's something wrong with Sailor Moon? Blashphemy! But that's another thread for another day.). But he watched it, and he was quite impressed with the film from an animation and even a story standpoint, but he still would not show it to the class. Why? He explained. The message of the film was basically just a variation of a theme that has been around in Sci-Fi at least since Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein; mankind puts faith in technology, his own creation, but then his creation goes awry. And he was right (although both Patlabor films remain towards the top of my list of my favourite anime films of all time). Metropolis just didn't challenge me at any other level. Plus, it's kind of a Sci-Fi cliche that if you have a really big tower that people compare to the Tower of Babel, chances are pretty fricking high it won't be standing by the end of the film. (I wonder if people 3000+ years from now will use the World Trade Center as an analogy the way we use the Tower of Babel?)

It reminds me of a great line from the Royal Tenenbaums, my favourite film of 2001, where the Western novel author Eli Cash (Owen Wilson) tries to make the concept of his latest book sound an awful lot more profound than it actually is: "Everyone knows that Custer died at the Battle of Little Bighorn, right? Well, what this book presupposes is: maybe he didn't?"

I'd probably give it *** out of *****.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1