Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yukari & Junpei Join Persona 4 Arena Sequel




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
Ohhhhh! Sequel to Persona 4 Arena. Excellent.

But here I thought Arena was merely the introduction to Persona 5. Works fine either way, time to know who the real enemy in Arena was in this sequel. Glad Yukari is coming back, Junpei is SOOO MEEEEH!!

EDIT: Mmm, there is confusion about this being actually a "sequel" and that its just an update....mmmm


Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
j Talbain



Joined: 27 Oct 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Toronto, Ontario
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
I hope this comes out as DLC and not a new Disc for two new characters.

But it's funny I read that Atlus was not going to do anything extra with this game. I guess Arc had other ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I hope this comes out as DLC and not a new Disc for two new characters.

But it's funny I read that Atlus was not going to do anything extra with this game. I guess Arc had other ideas.


We need to know if ts an update/DLC or a real sequel.

Regardless, the story is unfinished, so a continuation was guaranteed. If this announcement is that continuation remains to be seen thou.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJcream



Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 60
Location: NorCal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume that this is more like an update (like Blazblue CS1 to CS2), rather than a full on sequel (like Blazeblue Extend to CP).

The way Persona 4 Arena works in Japanese arcades is that it's sold through an online store dedicated to arcade cabinets on a service called NesicaxLive. My hunch is that once all the beta testing is done, an official patch is going to be made available through that system for all the Japanese arcades to download, like how Aquapazza finally got a 2.0 patch earlier this month.

Judging from the available screenshots, I like how everyone gets a different number of persona cards. Characters that put their persona out on the frontlines (Yukiko, Liz, S.Lab, Yosuke) are getting extra persona cards, while those who keep them tucked away (Akihiko, Kanji) are getting penalized.

Aside from that, I'm digging Yukari's redesign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
terminus24



Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 304
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well, considering how Chronophantasma only had 3 new characters when it first came out in arcades, I'm thinking that this might be a sequel. That and the fact that the menu is completely different.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure we'll see more characters, at least by the time it comes out on consoles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Etrien



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Tokyo, Japan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
It's awesome to see more characters (and easily room for two more on the selection screen)... But as much as I really enjoyed Akihiko, Mitsuru, and spoiler[Fuuka]'s updated looks, I'm pretty disappointed with what can be seen of Junpei and Yukari's. Junpei's is just so ordinary, and Yukari's is kind of like...a pink ranger sans helmet?

Wonder if we'll see Ken? Easily my least favorite playable character from P3, but young characters tend to have the most interesting changes after time skips.

EDIT:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/16/new-persona-4-arena-introduces-shadow-type-characters-and-more/

and I guess I have to take back what I said about "sans helmet":
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/l_520d986869de4.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kurohei



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 543
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It would have been cool if This game would take place after Persona 4 Golden Epilogue, but judging by Naoto's character design, I doubt that would happen. Anyways I sure am looking forward to this game, even though I haven't quite beaten everyone's story mode in the first game yet...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terminus24



Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 304
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
It would have been cool if This game would take place after Persona 4 Golden Epilogue, but judging by Naoto's character design, I doubt that would happen. Anyways I sure am looking forward to this game, even though I haven't quite beaten everyone's story mode in the first game yet...

P4A is the sequel to P4/P4G. It takes place two months after the end of Persona 4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kurohei



Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 543
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
@terminus24 If you get the true ending in Persona 4 Golden, there is an epilogue that takes place several months after Persona 4 Arena.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terminus24



Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 304
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
@Kurohei Ah, I see. I've only beaten the PS2 version, and I didn't know about the epilogue taking place after P4A.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suna_suna



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Ft. Collins
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This update is a full on sequel, like CT>CS for BB. New Characters, new playstyles, new moves. this is not just a rebalance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1681
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
It's awesome to see more characters (and easily room for two more on the selection screen)... But as much as I really enjoyed Akihiko, Mitsuru, and spoiler[Fuuka]'s updated looks, I'm pretty disappointed with what can be seen of Junpei and Yukari's. Junpei's is just so ordinary, and Yukari's is kind of like...a pink ranger sans helmet?

Wonder if we'll see Ken? Easily my least favorite playable character from P3, but young characters tend to have the most interesting changes after time skips.

EDIT:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/16/new-persona-4-arena-introduces-shadow-type-characters-and-more/

and I guess I have to take back what I said about "sans helmet":
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/l_520d986869de4.jpg


Yukari's outfit is pretty much a 1:1 translation of the pink ranger from Gorenger (the ORIGINAL Super Sentai). That's...pretty damn old school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raikuro



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 336
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
What are the chances they'll add Persona 2 characters? I know they won't, but still...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group