• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blood+ Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

Sony, unlike Funimation, has a established TV syndication arm

They also have two shows on Adult Swim at the moment (Boondocks and Robot Chicken) and a working relationship with Cartoon Network that goes all the way back to their release of Cyborg 009. I'm willing to bet the Blood+ announcement was made at that trade show because companies like Sony like to lay all their shows out for the coming year at these events. That doesn't set in stone what market they'll eventually end up in. They're just saying "hey, look what we have!"

Well I wouldn't disagree with that idea either, though I can't remember anyone ever taking shows not intended for NATPE to NATPE (but I may just have not heard about it). I do hope more information comes out on all of this, because I've met people who attended NATPE in the past and I know that those who attend come back with a lot of information (like most trade shows, those who run boths at NATPE they to hand out goodies (posters, postcards, pins, "meet the actors and get autographs," et al) and usually supply press packets covering what they are showing) Smile.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
As long as [subber of choice] keeps subbing Blood+, I'm fine with this news. Just hope it gets a decent dub and makes it's way to Adult Swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
DAMN!!! Shocked

Now that was fast. I mean I'm really getting to the show. I'ved watched up to 13 so far.

I knew it was going to get licensed. Given it's reputation. t was no surprise I was just waiting to hear the given word. But it's just funny that I was just finishing up 13 and I come in the next day to hear the news. Laughing Again it's a long series.

I'm not a big fan of vampire type films but I do enjoy them. And I really have enjoyed this series. May check out 'Hellsing' at some point in time. But I will be picking up 'Blood+'. I hope that 'Sony' will give it fair treatment. Cool

Now this I could see on late night TV.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose I should be happy that someone is distributing this title to the US. Unfortunately, it's Sony with a possible network TV distribution. Crying or Very sad

Totally bad feeling about this. (Possible edits to bring it to network TV standards, No extras on DVD release. If it's cut will we get an uncut version? Will anime clubs be able to show it without paying a copyright fee?)

*sits in corner and sobs quietly*
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
I was wondering which of the biggies would license this. I never saw Sony in the running though. This came out of left field from where I'm standing.

Anyway, it's a really good series. They shouldn't be able to screw this one up...I hope.

Wow, really? You expected a large company to license this? Or did you mean normal anime licensors? Anyway, while no one would have expected it, it's worth noting the Aniplex is a Sony company...
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well the world turned upside down while I was sleeping. The WB and UPN are no more as of the end of this TV season!

Exit WB, UPN; Enter the CW

UPN, WB to Shut Down; New Network Formed

Reuters Article

Futon Critic article

This is going to change the TV landscape in the US for everything. The losing affiliete channels are going to have shows to fill their new voids and the daytime animated programing will be most likely changed as well (not the topic for this thread, however).
Kalium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Well this will eather turn our very good, or very, very bad given Sony's track record.

Let's just say that I have a sudden fear of rootkits on DVDs.

Or not-quite-DVDs, since a rootkit might break spec.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I myself was quite suprised that the series has been liscenced so quickly. Although, that seems to be the norm these days. Razz

Well, this is another series that probably won't pop up in Canada. It's too violent for YTV to air, Teletoon refuses to acquire ANY teen/mature anime & it doesn't really qualify as a sci-fi, so SPACE is out of the question. Crying or Very sad When it comes to broadcasting anime, Canada sure sucks. =/

As for the fansubs, [subber] has dropped Blood+. I'm hoping that [other subber] will continue subbing it. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Past experience of anime licenses and distribution by global conglomerates whose main product is completely different to anime, has caused me to view this announcement with a bit of reservation. Sony's track record of these things has been well noted here, and I'll add the on going debacle of "Advent Children" to that as well. Blood + on a Saturday morning TV schedule uncut will definitely set a president that will surely grab the attention of the uber right wing evangelical "all things foreign are evil!" crowd. The same crowd that voted Mr. G.W. Bush back into office. SPHE, (FKA Columbia Tristar) will most likely handle distribution of this in the UK as that is who distibuted the other titles listed in that report here. Wink
tephra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
Let's just say that I have a sudden fear of rootkits on DVDs.

Or not-quite-DVDs, since a rootkit might break spec.

I know the rootkits were the first thing that came to my mind, even before "OMG, have to grab #13 before [subber] yanks their torrents." Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote
tephra wrote:

I know the rootkits were the first thing that came to my mind, even before "OMG, have to grab #13 before [subber] yanks their torrents." Rolling Eyes
Yes! Better hurry little tealeafs! Otherwise you'll have to pay for it later and that would just be criminal! Wink
LightningEdge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
"Seems like that Mercedes is a nice car, so I'm going to steal one and drive it around for a while till I (maybe) decide to buy one myself. I never really trust other people when it comes to cars so I want to try a lot of them myself first and then maybe if I really really like them, I'll buy them, but I'm so poor and all, I'll probably just steal them. Don't get me wrong, I like cars very much, but I can't really afford to buy all of them, so I'll just steal them. If anyone steals a car for me, I'll tell them how thankful I am for putting their heads on the line for me (or maybe I just won't bother with that) and if they don't want to steal cars for me, well, damn them to hell and I hope something very bad happens to them all."

Now that was a quote from a [subber] staff member. You can easily see his point. That is why shinsen and [other subber] have both dropped Blood+. [dammit people, stop naming fansubbers!] is also considering it. For me, I like fansubs (and I know a lot about them too.) But I definitely prefer the version where professionals are paid to sub and dub. Everybody changes, and hopefully Sony has now grown to realise their mistakes and create an awesome dvd boxset Smile

(P.S There is no way you can edit this anime without ruining it. Hope someone from Sony is hearing this Smile)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
LightningEdge wrote:
Everybody changes, and hopefully Sony has now grown to realise their mistakes and create an awesome dvd boxset Smile

(P.S There is no way you can edit this anime without ruining it. Hope someone from Sony is hearing this Smile)
Welcome aboard LightningEdge. However I wish I could share your optimism about that, but only time will tell and I do hope you are correct. Wink
silent-reaction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
As we're all expecting, this is probably going to turn out bad. The dubbing quality will most likely end up having some high pitched voice for Saya and will give Kei an annoying 'tough guy' accent. Sorry if this post is a little choppy, but I'm doing this in Social Studies, so bear with me.

Damn, actually. I need to go now.

I'll try and finish this later, but the fact remains.

I'M BUYING THIS ONE IN JAPANESE FROM EBAY!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
silent-reaction wrote:
As we're all expecting, this is probably going to turn out bad. The dubbing quality will most likely end up having some high pitched voice for Saya and will give Kei an annoying 'tough guy' accent. Sorry if this post is a little choppy, but I'm doing this in Social Studies, so bear with me.

Damn, actually. I need to go now.

I'll try and finish this later, but the fact remains.

I'M BUYING THIS ONE IN JAPANESE FROM EBAY!

Why not just wait until the R1 are release and you can watch it in Japanese with English subititle instead of supporting bootleg.

The only "Japanese" Blood dvd you're buying from Ebay is going to be bootleg. Rarely are there any R2 DVD up for auction and if they are, they're gonna be twice as much as you would pay for an official R1 version, also without English subtitle.. Don't be ignorant like so many people on ebay by confusing the "import" version (with chinese subtitle) on ebay as official Japanese.

Also stop being so bitter against R1 companies without even viewing the product first hand. It just makes you sound like those anti-american anime fanboy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4