• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Reveals New 2DS Portable Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
They could've put hinges on this thing, then gave it some crazy name like, I don't know. The Nintendo DS. I don't think anything's using that name.

Of course, the Nintendo 2DS XL shouldn't be too far behind.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It's official, Nintendo is high. Rolling Eyes

I mean, why aren't little kids allowed to have hinges? They're not that stupid. Also, would it kill you guys to at least allow for pocket transport?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
YES, finally a price drop for the WiiU AND it includes an HD remake of my all-time favorite Zelda game.

It's definitely time to buy a WiiU now.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's geared more towards little kids, I think since kids tend to more rough on things they figured no having hinges would be a good thing. After all if the hinge breaks the top screen is useless...
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's only one screen with a plastic in the middle separating them. IT costs way less to produce, since it's one single screen, and also, will cost less to buy.
Kids can be rough with things at time, the clamshell design of the original 3DS can easily break it.
I MEAN, I HAD A [expletive] FRIEND WHO BROKE MY DS. AND ANOTHER ONE WHO BROKE THE THING STOPPING THE SCREEN FROM MOVING ALL THE TIME, SO SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR THEM. The best of this story ? I never lend it to them, they f--king took it from me. Ugh, I hate them.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...is this cheaper overall than a 3DS is? because if so, I hate to say it, but this may be what I get instead of a 3DS. I don't need no fancy 3D component, I just want to be able to play newer games dammit. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

I mean, why aren't little kids allowed to have hinges? They're not that stupid. Also, would it kill you guys to at least allow for pocket transport?

Ehh what? Have you seen some kids? They break almost anything they touch lol
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
For anyone confused by the 2DS, it's pretty much intended for 6-7 year olds since they can't use the 3D effect on the 3DS without damaging their eyesight apparently. It's also why this thing doesn't have any hinges. Much harder for little kids to break.

As for the Wind Waker Bundle, when I heard the rumors about it I figured I'd wait for it before deciding to get a Wii U and since it's cheaper than I expected, I'm definently more interested. Don't think it'll help Wii U sales skyrocket or anything but it and the price cut are a good step towards fixing its problems.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
...because -this- was the system we've been waiting for, instead of a Limited Edition Pokemon XY 3DS. *smh*
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I so want this system. Even tho I hardly played my black wii u.
I want to play wind waker in HD. Very Happy

When is the LoZ system coming out???? September 20??
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi wrote:
I so want this system. Even tho I hardly played my black wii u.
I want to play wind waker in HD. Very Happy

When is the LoZ system coming out???? September 20??

At this point it should be Full HD. The Wii U is, despite its comparative lack of power, a "next gen" console. This is, finally, the generation of 1920*1080. Anything less is for the previous generation.

The original game was in 480, right? Going to 720 from that is not a vast improvement, especially considering how much time has past and how much technology has advanced...especially when the now-ubiquitous 1080 has more than twice the detail of 720.

Though I fear that Full HD, like The Internet, is something that Nintendo might still not fully understand: the Wii U is their first truly "HD capable" console.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any money right now, but I was planning on getting a 3DS eventually, just to be able to play new handheld JRPGs. I wasn't going to use the 3D, though, because I've always found 3D to be a gimmick, and, in recent years, my left eye has been damaged to such an extent that the existence of 3D is moot.

I'd consider buying the 2DS, but I kind of doubt I'd be able to fit it in my front pocket without hinges, so I'll probably still get a 3DS anyway whenever I can afford it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hmm...is this cheaper overall than a 3DS is? because if so, I hate to say it, but this may be what I get instead of a 3DS. I don't need no fancy 3D component, I just want to be able to play newer games dammit. Razz

Its almost $50 dollars cheaper than a standard 3DS.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

I remember in middle school having a DS but breaking the hinges. It wasn't so much stupidity as it was that I just got really into the games. Embarassed
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

I remember in middle school having a DS but breaking the hinges. It wasn't so much stupidity as it was that I just got really into the games. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3