• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Syfy's Heroes of Cosplay Show Premieres Tonight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
More like Villains of Cosplay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
And the network still can't find a better name than "SyFy".
spinja446

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
If you really do care about the cosplay and the community behind it, don't watch this show, please!

http://accioharo.tumblr.com/post/56948954635/hey-guys-i-don't-know-if-you-all-have-seen-the

http://dabocx.tumblr.com/post/58010389490/penciltyrant-one-of-my-pet-peeves-is-when

No matter how many people see your message or how much it's been shared on every social media site, people are still going to watch this show. No matter how significant you try to put your message out there. Nice effort but it won't work.

You should know there are a lot of knucklehead viewers that watch and enjoy the crap that Syfy spews out on their channel. People love the cheap low budget mockbusters they air or their new original hit Sharknado. Oh yea and their terrible primetime programs.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
If you really do care about the cosplay and the community behind it, don't watch this show, please!

http://accioharo.tumblr.com/post/56948954635/hey-guys-i-don't-know-if-you-all-have-seen-the

http://dabocx.tumblr.com/post/58010389490/penciltyrant-one-of-my-pet-peeves-is-when

Quote:
I have friends that are long time cosplayers, long time convention goers, staffers for other cosplay contests, etc. that were utterly distraught over what happened at these contests. There were MULTIPLE participants in tears not because they didn’t win, but because of how the contest was run and how much it stressed them out and upset them.

I just can't figure out why people think Cosplayers are drama queens Wink

In all seriousness though, that is a pretty shitty situation. I'm assuming someone got paid for them to be there, otherwise this wouldn't even have been allowed to happen.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
TrueSkin1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The cosplay community is upset. Boo freakin hoo.

Look I understand it's a passion for some people and like to participate in contests but then SyFy steps on your shoes and bombards your convention and now you try to make it seem like you guys are soooooooooo important. For god sake, you guys dress up in costumes and attend conventions.

All I can say is wow... just wow. *Sigh*

Last edited by TrueSkin1 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, after having read that blog, I'm going to be ignoring Heroes of Cosplay entirely. As much as I'm for seeing cosplayers on TV, there's simply no way I could enjoy this show if that meant setting up unwary cosplayers up for nationwide character assassination by manufacturing feigned outrage and running a three-ring-circus-themed judge panel. It just isn't worth the time.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be watching it. Because I want to see how negatively they portray the cosplay and convention scene. Because you know that it's going to. I also want to see how they portray some of the incidents I've heard about involving the show.

Basically, while I know that Seattle is very accepting of cosplayers, given Sakura-Con, Emerald City Comic Con, and PAX all take place downtown, I want to be ready for backlash that I might get because of this show.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The word cosplay is a Japanese-coined word... And there's not one anime-themed cosplay in the trailers? WTF?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
The word cosplay is a Japanese-coined word... And there's not one anime-themed cosplay in the trailers? WTF?

One of the girls in the first ep is Lulu from Final Fantasy X, so...
spinja446

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that would save this show and make it mildly entertaining is if they feature some awful looking Crossplay. Would watch that for sure.

I believe there was a special on National Geographic's Taboo that featured some Crossplay. Was quite hilarious.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

One of the girls in the first ep is Lulu from Final Fantasy X, so...

that's video game. I'm pretty sure, we will get alot of video game cosplay.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
As much as there's a lot of controversy with what's going on with the "figure heads" of the channel and what ever happened behind the scenes, I'm still watching the show for now and so far, with what I've seen so far, I'm not seeing anything that deserves major ire from a lot of people. Granted, by the time I'm posting this, it's only 30 mins. in, so whatever happens later on could make me change my mind, but as of right now, I can't see any reason to hate it just yet.
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Just out of morbid curiosity, I turned on the last half of the show. I didn't find it to be horribly disrespectful, but if you have any preconceived ideas about cosplayers, it probably didn't do much to dispel those, either. Otherwise, it was just bland reality crap with plenty of fake, overstated drama. It was a pity they didn't seem to pay any attention to spoiler[whoever put together the life sized Totoro] though; that might actually have been interesting.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Just out of morbid curiosity, I turned on the last half of the show. I didn't find it to be horribly disrespectful, but if you have any preconceived ideas about cosplayers, it probably didn't do much to dispel those, either. Otherwise, it was just bland reality crap with plenty of fake, overstated drama. It was a pity they didn't seem to pay any attention to spoiler[whoever put together the life sized Totoro] though; that might actually have been interesting.

That's what I pretty much figured anyways. While there are some truth to how it can be with certain cosplay with the pressure of finding the right items for their costume, it's still the "reality T.V." trope that you'll either be ok with, "meh" or just downright despise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4