• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Evangelion 3.0's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindworm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
i just need this to be on DVD before my birthday in 1 month
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Excuse me, I've been a fan of Eva since I was 11, that was about 12 years ago. So don't pull this "young fans" bullshit.

3.33 was bad, but it had nothing to do with a lack of action. It had to do with just awful storytelling and characterization that makes no sense.

Yes lets make everything nonsensical and obtuse for the sake of it! Thats a good idea.

Lets take away the progress Shinji has made in these movies!

Lets not continue developing these new characters we created!

Genius.

A big chunk of the current eva fanbase was created with the rebuilt series, they don't know half their shit and drive original fans nuts. So don't tell me whats bullshit and what isn't.

And eva 3.0 was amazing, it focused on the psychological aspects of the show rather than flashy-like gundam fights and girls bending over with mini skirts in front of the screan to make half the fanbase get stiff at that moment. The story telling was at its finest in 3.0 because it was an actual story and not a collection of battles every 5 minutes. Every main character got developed in some way. And what progress did shinji make? The fact that he killed a whole city for the sake of Rei? Sure, well now he suffers the consequence, and instead of facing it, he cries like a twat. There is very little development for shinji to begin with. As for other characters, well no shit that Kaworu got more screen time, the movie is about his and shinji's relationship just like those episodes were in the anime

penguintruth wrote:
"Shut up and don't complain" is so contemptibly sanctimonious.

No, I will complain when the building plotline screeches to a halt for ninety minutes of Shinji being crapped on for something he didn't know he was wrong for doing. I will complain when an unnecessary seven year timeskip is blatantly so that fans can feel better masturbating to what were previously underage characters. I will complain when eighty percent of character dialogue is either technobabble or Shinji and Kaworu flirting. When characters who do nothing and say nothing are introduced. When characters who use to be vital to the story are now little more than cameos. When the plot progression is nearly crippled for what is essentially a padded out version of episode 24 of the TV series. When the budget goes into two characters playing the piano together. When the movie ends with all of the characters the same as they started.

When a movie vandalizes a perfectly good ongoing story with a lot of plodding humming and hawing and completely ignores all the characters except a couple, I'm going to complain. Because it's crap.

I have nothing but pure venom for somebody who expects me to just go back to the TV series and ignore the terrible fate of a series with two good movies and one that watches like a complete practical joke. I've been a NGE fan for more than a decade and this is the worst feature to ever bare its name. If it weren't for some of the visuals, it wouldn't even be worth the time they used to make it.

Umm shinji knew what he was doing. He claimed that he gave preference to saving rei over the world at the end of 2.22--so now he faces the result of his decision.

The time skip was 14 years, pay more attention.

Kaworu was Gay in NGE. They managed to not bluntly put it out there in this film, how else was he supposed to behave if thats his personality.

I feel like every character got equally fair screen-time in this film (but some might be upset because they didn't give you too many scenes that provoke the otaku's sexual fetishes). Kaworu and Shinji are the main characters in this film, of course they will get the most screen time. FYI: People like new rei, mari, ritsuko, gendo etc were always the supporting cast, they will never get the majority of the movie dedicated to them. The main characters are Shinji, Kaworu, Asuka, Misato and Rei (dead in this film)--->all of them got fair screen time.

This movie is by far the most resembling true evangelion. If you go to a forum dedicated to eva, people there will disprove and rip apart all your statements about this film being "inferior" or "crap". That's your subjective opinion
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Asuka and Mari were barely in the movie. They didn't develop as characters. Mari was just introduced in the previous movie and at the end of this one she's just as big a question mark as at the beginning of that one. I know Shinji is the main character, but he's not the ONLY character.

The time skip was completely unnecessary. Nobody even looks that much older, even the non-pilots.

There's zero plot progression. The ending is just, "Yeah, we ran out of stuff to say, these characters just leave."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
The original Eva was effectively an ensemble work with Shinji and Misato garnering the most attention narrative wise among the characters, the Rebuild for better or worst is Shinji's Story, we are given perspective of the other characters only for the sake of knowing "what is going on for the rest of the playing field" where Shinji simply would not be able participate.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
"Shut up and don't complain" is so contemptibly sanctimonious.

No, I will complain when the building plotline screeches to a halt for ninety minutes of Shinji being crapped on for something he didn't know he was wrong for doing. I will complain when an unnecessary seven year timeskip is blatantly so that fans can feel better masturbating to what were previously underage characters. I will complain when eighty percent of character dialogue is either technobabble or Shinji and Kaworu flirting. When characters who do nothing and say nothing are introduced. When characters who use to be vital to the story are now little more than cameos. When the plot progression is nearly crippled for what is essentially a padded out version of episode 24 of the TV series. When the budget goes into two characters playing the piano together. When the movie ends with all of the characters the same as they started.

When a movie vandalizes a perfectly good ongoing story with a lot of plodding humming and hawing and completely ignores all the characters except a couple, I'm going to complain. Because it's crap.

I have nothing but pure venom for somebody who expects me to just go back to the TV series and ignore the terrible fate of a series with two good movies and one that watches like a complete practical joke. I've been a NGE fan for more than a decade and this is the worst feature to ever bare its name. If it weren't for some of the visuals, it wouldn't even be worth the time they used to make it.

I will not attempt to tell you that you are wrong, but I will give you my perspective on these plot points. I was quite baffled when I heard what people were complaining about with this movie, as most of the problems they had with the film (some went as far as to call them plot holes) were easily explained to me when I saw the film.

"No, I will complain when the building plotline screeches to a halt for ninety minutes of Shinji being crapped on for something he didn't know he was wrong for doing."
Well, you are half right there. Shinji did NOT know that his actions would cause a near third impact. However, he was fully aware of his intentions leading up to that. He wanted to save Rei. But in the midst of it all he threw caution to the wind and even boldly (and epically) stated that he didn't care what happened to the world in the process. And let's just say that he caused this to happen but he had no motives to cause it. Would his past friends still have reasons to be mad at him? I would think so. If somebody I knew almost ended the world and likely killed many of my loved ones as well I would probably hate their guts, regardless of the fact that "they didn't mean to do it." That's like if somebody "accidentally" killed my parents and told me they didn't mean to (kind of dark analogy but you get the point). Accident or not, my parents are dead and no apology would make me forget that. Because I'm human and those feelings I had for them wouldn't allow me to forgive that person. You see, I've always felt that the characters and events in Evangelion had to be viewed from a human point of view, rather than something from Hollywood. It's like those people who ask why Shinji is whining that he has to pilot a giant robot. "I'd be jumping for joy if I was in his position!" But would they? Would they really? The show clearly made it out to be very hellish and undesirable from the children.

"I will complain when an unnecessary seven year timeskip is blatantly so that fans can feel better masturbating to what were previously underage characters."
14 years but whatever. And besides, everybody already fapped to them anyway, I don't want to hear otherwise. The fact that they're technically older doesn't matter anyway, as they look nearly the same still. Either way, when I looked at Asuka I still saw a fourteen year old girl. I don't know who thought "Oh, she's like 28 now so it's okay!" If they were already masturbating to her before I'm sure they didn't care now either.

"I will complain when eighty percent of character dialogue is either technobabble"
Hasn't technobabble pretty much always been what Evangelion is comprised of? I mean, I love it but come on.

"or Shinji and Kaworu flirting."
In the series as well, but a lot less subtle with the homoerotic undertones in the film. In fact, that's why I preferred it and thought it was the better relationships of the two. That's definitely what I felt was the biggest improvement from the series so far. And you seem to really hate Shinji and Kaworu's relationship in this film, which I find odd considering that the show handled it in a way that I feel you would hate even more. But yet you haven't complained about that at all.

"When characters who do nothing and say nothing are introduced."

I have to agree with you there, although I don't think they were ever meant to be important in the first place. And none of Shinji's classmates have been nearly as prominent in the Rebuild films as they were in the series, so this is really nothing new here in my opinion. But I did feel that they helped set the time and mood. It reminded you that enough time had passed for you to see Toji's sister grown up, so I enjoyed that.

"When characters who use to be vital to the story are now little more than cameos."
Well, this film really felt like Shinji and Kaworu's film. And to be fair, Rebuild has really defined itself as a Shinji focused series so far. Even in 2.0 a lot of the other characters' roles were toned down quite a lot to expand Shinji's growth.

"When the movie ends with all of the characters the same as they started."
Don't you mean when the movie ends with one of the most [expletive] beautiful songs I've ever heard? Razz Haha. Just kidding. But seriously, this whole movie just made me really sad by the time the credits started rolling with Utada Hikaru's song. And all of the characters got so fucked over right at the end. In all seriousness though, I don't see how you feel that the characters end the same way they started. I mean, Shinji was pretty much in a vegetable state by the end of it. He was so in shock he didn't even respond to Asuka practically beating him. He just sat there and took it without any emotional response. That gave me a real sense of humanity right at that part, it reminded me just how close he was to Kaworu and how close their bond was. Like I said earlier, this is a Shinji focused series, which explains why he changed the most I believe. Although Asuka just merely kicking him felt generous considering how much he fucked up the world. So I guess that spoke to her development as a character as well I suppose. Rei isn't even the same one from 2.0 so I find it kind of pointless to say her character lost her previously great traits, as it's not even her (I still believe that the Rei from 2.0 is still inside Unit 01, but who knows).

Well... I just wasted an hour typing that. Haha. But there you go. Those are just some of my personal thoughts on 3.0. I hope you take them into consideration. I just feel like 3.0 is going to be the Empire Strikes Back of the Evangelion franchise. Not quite appreciated for all of it's loose ends and sudden change in tone initially, but becomes more appreciated later on when the series is finally completed. Because as it stands, 3.0 is still currently my favorite Rebuild film thus far. But I do admit that it has some loose ends to tie up in Final.

All well, regardless Final is going to be amazing. It has to be, right? And if it isn't then all well, Rebuild is already ruined for you anyway so it's not like you would have had high hopes for it anyway. But the increasingly long amount of time they're spending on it leads me to believe that it's going to be something very special that we remember for a long time. After all, we're just now truly delving into the Rebuild's new diverging storyline, and I'm pretty sure that's what we were all waiting for in the first place when the remakes were announced. So I'm sticking with this until the end, if not just to see where it goes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
I don't hate Shinji and Kaworu's relationship.

I hate when it's the sole focus of a two hour movie in a series that used to be about more than that.

Why even have the other characters in the show? Why not just say they all died? Because it's obvious the writer(s) have nothing left to say about them. They're little more than props.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I hate when it's the sole focus of a two hour movie in a series that used to be about more than that.

Why even have the other characters in the show? Why not just say they all died? Because it's obvious the writer(s) have nothing left to say about them. They're little more than props.

What a ridiculous complaint. Why have supporting cast in any movie if their only purpose is to move the plot forward?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

What a ridiculous complaint. Why have supporting cast in any movie if their only purpose is to move the plot forward?

Why have a supporting cast if they're just shrubbery?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, this franchise for me was better left alone after End of Evangelion, but I guess you can't resist a cash grab when something is popular. To me it's just one of those things that represents a certain state of mind that can't be duplicated more than a decade later. It was very much an "Anno in the mid 90s" series and when you take that mindset away, you get these Rebuild movies. It lacks the urgency and desperation that practically made the TV series (and End of Evangelion) what it was.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well it always was a really important aspect of the plot. At least for me it felt that way. So the fact that it only covered the run time of one film actually felt a bit brief. But at least he got more exposure and development than he did in the series.

The only thing I didn't like about 3.0 was the fact that Asuka didn't succumb to a deep depression like she did in the end of the series. But what are ya gonna do. I think they got aspects like that out of the way mainly because Rebuild is more Shinji focused than the show was.

"Why even have the other characters in the show? Why not just say they all died?"
Why, because then I wouldn't be able to see my favorite character Asuka! I don't think you can really have Eva without her and Rei.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
It lacks the urgency and desperation that practically made the TV series (and End of Evangelion) what it was.

You mean severely depressing?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
It lacks the urgency and desperation that practically made the TV series (and End of Evangelion) what it was.

You mean severely depressing?

Yes. And also truthful and immediate. Turning it into a crowd pleaser IMO sort of reveals how conceptually generic Eva was if you took out the "whiny depressive stuff".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3