• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reborn as Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
I would have much rather seen reborn preview than kenshin preview.

And Malintex, good metaphor but did you really think anyone would get it with a one liner? And that's also nice you can at least admit the rest of viz's translations are solid, altho I think OP is fine (I get the strangest feeling of deja vu here)
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Viz has been licinseing all the shonen jump series really fast. I wonder what it's next one will be. My guess will be Mr. Fullswing. If not, then Ichigo 100%.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I understood the situation with Halliburton, but I couldn't exactly see what you were getting at.

In any case, Viz has exclusive rights to the Shonen Jump series, so I would have been very surprised to have seen Reborn licensed to someone else. I probably won't be reading it, though, and perhaps just because of "deathperation".

Malintex Terek wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

I understand that Malintex Terek has his issues with Viz's translations of their manga, but I really need some further explanation on this one.

The problem lies not with me, but with Viz, and I really only care about One Piece; I have no objections about the other manga aside from Viz getting exclusive authority to license them.

What I meant was this:

"I understand that Malintex Terek has his objections with Viz's translations of their manga, but I really need some further explanation on this one."

I apologize for not explaining what I meant more clearly.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
And Malintex, good metaphor

I disagree, the premise is flawed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
bennyb wrote:
And Malintex, good metaphor

I disagree, the premise is flawed.

Eh, I was being nice, and didn't really bother looking at it, but yea looking back it doensn't make a whole lot of sense.

*must think before posting*
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
If their is a "problem", it's not Viz's it Shueisha's, since they're the ones who ultimately decide who will get their stuff, and as they're obviously in cahoots with Viz, Viz gets their manga. It's business. It's not a monopoly when you have control over one subsection of an industry(in this case Shueisha published manga), it's a monopoly when you have contol over the entire (manga) industry, and this is not the case with Viz. As to who has "Japan's highest quality manga" that's totally subjective; most popular manga is a different matter. And if Tokyopop is doing poorly, it's their own fault for going the way of quantity over quality.

Back to the main topic: WOOHOO!!!! I love Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and I'm excited for the manga coming here, and now doubly so for the anime. As for the Viz translation, I was rather miffed at "Deathperation" as well, but it's a silly name and the manga is silly so I'm willing to overlook it since everything else seems to be intact. Of the newer Jump series, this is definitely the best(most unique premise and best artwork too). Now I'm just really hoping that the anime will divert from the manga(the opposite of what most always hope for, I know). I hate the idea of the anime always being an exact clone of the manga. I rather see two somewhat different stories on the same premise than the same thing twice over in a different medium. At least in the earlier volumes, the manga is quite episodic, so I think that episodic nature leaves alot of elbow room for original stories exclusive to the anime.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Back to the main topic: WOOHOO!!!! I love Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and I'm excited for the manga coming here, and now doubly so for the anime. As for the Viz translation, I was rather miffed at "Deathperation" as well, but it's a silly name and the manga is silly so I'm willing to overlook it since everything else seems to be intact. Of the newer Jump series, this is definitely the best(most unique premise and best artwork too). Now I'm just really hoping that the anime will divert from the manga(the opposite of what most always hope for, I know). I hate the idea of the anime always being an exact clone of the manga. I rather see two somewhat different stories on the same premise than the same thing twice over in a different medium. At least in the earlier volumes, the manga is quite episodic, so I think that episodic nature leaves alot of elbow room for original stories exclusive to the anime.

Kind of like Black Cat?
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz has been licinseing all the shonen jump series really fast. I wonder what it's next one will be. My guess will be Mr. Fullswing. If not, then Ichigo 100%.

Then there's a slight possibility that Jump!! Superstars will come to the U.S...but different companies own most of the video games, so it's just wishful thinking. Ichigo 100% is a pretty good series. As long as Viz doesn't edit it like I'S...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2