• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sanrio's Stop-Motion Nutcracker Fantasy to Be Screened in L.A.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Okay, that would be neat to see! Very Happy
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Thinking of Nutcracker Highly recommend Nutcracker 3D It's best Christmas movie that u well regret ever watching.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
I hope Nathan Lane plays Einstein in this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, they did stop motion? And here I thought Japan was all about the anime. This is an interesting piece of history news. Now will someone get on getting this a US DVD release.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Judging by how Eva Gabor is one of the names in the cast and she's been dead for nearly 20 years, this dub must be pretty old.

edit: The original US release date was a number of months after the Japanese one in 1979, if Wikipedia is to be trusted.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Judging by how Eva Gabor is one of the names in the cast and she's been dead for nearly 20 years, this dub must be pretty old.

I think that's inside joke, I believe
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
...very interesting to say the least.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, they did stop motion? And here I thought Japan was all about the anime. This is an interesting piece of history news. Now will someone get on getting this a US DVD release.

The preview sez they hired an animator from Rankin & Bass to do it. And R&B was all about stop motion, so... I agree someone needs to get this on DVD, because I simply need to see it and I don't live anywhere near LA. Those lousy bums! Wink
Anyway, I know 1979 was eons ago Rolling Eyes , but, really, no one here is familiar with Rankin & Bass??? How sad. Sad
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh I wish I could be there to see this!! I absolutely adore Sanrio's early movies, they have such a fascinating, slightly morbid sensibility. This one is from the same year as Ringing Bell and has a lot of strange stuff and dark, shadowy scenes. I hope a lot of people turn up to enjoy the screening!
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see this too bad I don't live in California, I heard about this from Wikipedia a few years ago. Sanrio's work on this get mistakenly confuse with Rankin-Bass Christmas special when the director, Takeo Nakamura who worked on Sanrio's Nutcracker Fantasy also worked on Rankin Bass's Santa Claus is comin to town.

Oraculo wrote:

Anyway, I know 1979 was eons ago Rolling Eyes , but, really, no one here is familiar with Rankin & Bass??? How sad. Sad

I'm familiar with Rankin-Bass!!! Very Happy Surprised I watch all their Christmas special every year and I was surprised with their connection to anime.

They worked with numerous Japanese studio like Toei, Mushi Productions, and Topcraft which would later become part of Studio Ghibli.

You know I question if Thundercats (well most Rankin-Bass animation that worked with Japanese studio) should be considered as "anime" because of it's animation being done by what is now Studio Ghibli.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
mdo: Ask John just had a column on that very subject.
kailegh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS MOVIE I'M NEAR TEARS
OH GOD
I HOPE THIS LEADS TO A DVD RELEASE BECAUSE LORD KNOWS EVEN THE VHS IS HARD TO FIND AT A SANE PRICE
[/screaming]
Oraculo wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

The preview sez they hired an animator from Rankin & Bass to do it. And R&B was all about stop motion, so... I agree someone needs to get this on DVD, because I simply need to see it and I don't live anywhere near LA. Those lousy bums! Wink
Suprise! All RankinBass stop motions where made in Japan. But I'm not completely sure about their other stuff. Though I know The Hobbit, Flight of Dragons, & The Last Unicorn were animated by Topcraft.

Last edited by kailegh on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Thanks for the article, yeah well it's going to be hard to say if those 80's animation that had help from Japan should be considered as anime. I mean Batman: Gotham Knights, Halo legends, Marvel anime, The Animatrix, and the Mass Effect anime are all considered anime despite being co-produced with US help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Thanks for the article, yeah well it's going to be hard to say if those 80's animation that had help from Japan should be considered as anime. I mean Batman: Gotham Knights, Halo legends, Marvel anime, The Animatrix, and the Mass Effect anime are all considered anime despite being co-produced with US help.

And Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1989) is a co-production in every level of production.
What would we call it?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

And Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1989) is a co-production in every level of production.
What would we call it?

That one is definitely anime!!! That movie came out first in Japan, then US later. It was made with a US audience in mind but came out in Japan first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1