• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wizard Barristers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Hey man - does it occur to you that Ann Encylopedia entries are not always complete? I am sorry that you are so clueless about how animation is made that you don't even realize how PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE IT IS for a single person to animate an entire episode of anime for TV broadcast by themselves. IT CANNOT BE DONE. Jesus Christ.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hey man - does it occur to you that Ann Encylopedia entries are not always complete? I am sorry that you are so clueless about how animation is made that you don't even realize how PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE IT IS for a single person to animate an entire episode of anime for TV broadcast by themselves. IT CANNOT BE DONE. Jesus Christ.

Okay I don't know what to do about you.Do you know who Ben Ettinger is?People often say that he is the one of the biggest experts on animation in anime,he has been on ANNCast I believe. Here is him talking about episode 4 of Kaiba and episode 12 of Kemonozume http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/kaiba_4
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/kemonozume_12
Maybe this will clear up your mind.Probably not.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Keiji Gotoh did all the animation (at least as far as Key anyway) for one episode of Croisee in a thingy and Penguindrum. Two for penguindrum in fact, apparently.

Mind, at least on of those episodes of Penguindrum was pretty heavily panned when it aired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
If Ben Ettinger thinks a single person can animate an entire anime episode he is clearly as clueless about the animation process as you are.

The ANN Encyclopedia entries are incomplete, but incomplete as they are, they still prove that Michio Mihara did not animate episode 12 of Kemonozume by himself.

Masaki Matsumura (eps 1-6, 12-13) is credited with In-Between Animation and Atsushi Takahashi (eps 3, 12) is credited with Storyboard.

Again - and I can't say this enough - if you actually understood how much work is required to animate a TV episode of anime you wouldn't think for a second that a single person could do it alone - unless they had, like, 10 years. It's a simple physical fact.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Keiji Gotoh did all the animation (at least as far as Key anyway)

Key animation is only one part of the animation process. I don't believe he did ALL the Key animation by himself in the first place, but even if he did, there is still a ton of other animation that goes into an episode - including the storyboarding process.

Here's a link some of you may find useful:

How TV Animation Works
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHA thanks for entertainment you are priceless Blood-.
Is it that hard to admit that you are simply wrong?There is nothing wrong with being ignorant,it is first step to learning.This debate is futile,I am out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA thanks for entertainment you are priceless Blood-.
Is it that hard to admit that you are simply wrong?There is nothing wrong with being ignorant,it is first step to learning.This debate is futile,I am out.

Glad you are finally running away after I have proven you wrong. That makes a lot more sense than continuing to insist on the impossible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Makoto Shinkai animate Voices of a Distant Star entirely by himself?

Anyways, I don't think lack of time and lack of budget are necessarily related. You might have plenty of money left to sink into a project, but sometimes you can miscalculate how long something will take to do, or unforeseen circumstances arise to cause delays. You can't always fix those problems by throwing money at them.

If Umetsu says it was bad because they ran out of time, we're in no position to refute him. Unless someone here was actually in the studio and can prove he's lying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Didn't Makoto Shinkai animate Voices of a Distant Star entirely by himself?

Yep. But that was an OVA that took him a long time. We are talking about an episode of TV series. With the deadlines required of TV it is utterly impossible for a single person to animate an entire episode by themselves.

Yes, it is possible that in the specific case of Wizard Barristers that it was poor planning that caused the bad animation. It is also possible that throwing money at the time problem may not have solved anything. That is still a far distance from danilo07's stupid claim that there is no correlation between time problems and budgets.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That is still a far distance from danilo07's stupid claim that there is no correlation between time problems and budgets.

I never said that,I specifically quoted Yttrbio's claim how time and budget are correlated.His post was definitely addressed at the claims the director of the show was making.So yes though I never explicitly said it,my comment was never meant to be taken as general fact but as specific commentary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you go back and read the posts, I think you can understand why I assumed you were talking generally, not just specifically. However, I appreciate you clarifying your statement. It now makes a lot more sense.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what are you all talking about? Oh...

Maybe it's a translation thing, but planning is part of budgeting in the contexts I typically think of. Time is one of the resources you budget, and saying "sure, we planned enough resources, but ran out of time" doesn't really make sense to me. There are some truly time-sensitive issues in the business world, where good budgeting wouldn't help, but a planned TV show isn't one of them. They knew about episode 11 for months, they didn't have a time shortage.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Here is a list of all the storyboarders, episode directors, animation supervisors anad key animators on episode 10 of penguindrum. You might notice that there is only one name on the list. There were no second keys.

There were two named inbetweeners and a number of outsourced companies doing tweening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@ Shiro Hane: don't automatically assume that just because one name appears under a credit that that means only one person was involved. There are projects where only one or two writers appear in the credit block, but several others did work too - they simply weren't credited.

But again - I accept it is possible (but unlikely) that one person might do all the key animation for a single episode. What I steadfastly refuse to believe is that one person can do ALL the animation for a single TV episode.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
In case it's not clear enough just how bad 11 was:

Spoilers LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20