• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
There should be a worldwide ban on "gary stu." It seems nobody understands how to apply it properly, and it just becomes a go-to protagonist criticism for whatever show you don't like.

The nature of protagonists is that they advance the story. Being put off by the fact the protagonist in any story succeeds more often than not is just mind-boggling, because if you criticize one you pretty much have to criticize them all.

Your definition of gary stu is very different from mine. To me, gary stu/mary sue is an ideal character with little or no flaws in addition to winning every battle. Kirito seems gary stu-like to me because many of the characters he interacts with, particularly female characters, take an immediate liking to him or he instantly wins them over. But I don't consider Kirito a full blown gary stu because he does have to work on winning over Asuna and Shion.

Advancing the story isn't the issue. It's how it's done. At least for me, there are more interesting and less interesting ways to advance a story. If I'm watching a show where the main character just blows away the bad guys with a super powerful energy blast, it's going to get boring real quick. But if the character has to actually use strategy or the bad guys put up a good fight, then it's much more interesting. I felt that many, but not all, of the fights in SAO (especially the 1st season) weren't that interesting because Kirito basically destroyed his opponents with little effort. The 2nd season is doing a much better job so far, though.

Bugnin wrote:
Same goes for Naruto, Ichigo, Kenshin, or any of the other 10,000 protagonists in every anime ever. Does anyone ever believe any of them are in real mortal danger? Of course not.

Yeah, occasionally they die for good, but that's always at the end when the story is about to wrap up anyway.

You sound like you're saying that if the main character doesn't die in a show, it makes him a gary stu. Of course, we know it's very unlikely that Naruto or Ichigo will die, but what I'm looking for is a feeling of tension, not believability. I do think this might be harder to pull off in shonen shows, though.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Your definition of gary stu is very different from mine. To me, gary stu/mary sue is an ideal character with little or no flaws in addition to winning every battle. Kirito seems gary stu-like to me because many of the characters he interacts with, particularly female characters, take an immediate liking to him or he instantly wins them over. But I don't consider Kirito a full blown gary stu because he does have to work on winning over Asuna and Shion.

...so your definition of "gary stu" is a male protagonist that is too well liked by females?

And Kirito wins every battle in the first arc because losing would mean his automatic death. Again, no different from every other series where you know the main character isn't going to die. You simply are not going to get any tension out of those situations.

Far as Kirito having "little no no flaws," that is simply not true. Anyone that's actually seen SAO would admit to that. Kirito is a complete and total mess on the inside. He's selfish. He's antisocial. He gets his entire guild killed after 6 months because of his own flaws and spends another 6 months on painful suicide missions trying to kill his own grief. On an emotional level, he's needed to be rescued repeatedly throughout the series because he's really weak in that area.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I felt that many, but not all, of the fights in SAO (especially the 1st season) weren't that interesting because Kirito basically destroyed his opponents with little effort.

It is kinda lost in the anime transition but if you remember the awesome battle with the skeleton-centipede thing?

That took an hour in the novel. AN HOUR. With Asuna's help and the rest of the guild fighting and all. An entire hour to kill that damn thing. So you can imagine that Kirito couldn't possibly killed it on his own.....in any time limit.

Bugnin wrote:
There should be a worldwide ban on "gary stu." It seems nobody understands how to apply it properly, and it just becomes a go-to protagonist criticism for whatever show you don't like.

The nature of protagonists is that they advance the story. Being put off by the fact the protagonist in any story succeeds more often than not is just mind-boggling, because if you criticize one you pretty much have to criticize them all.

You could call Luffy from one Piece a gary stu. Even when he's in trouble (and he's been on the verge of death many times) I know he's got a 0% chance of dying, because he's Luffy, and Luffy needs to live on for the story to continue. And so, miracles keep falling out of the sky to keep him alive. Same goes for Naruto, Ichigo, Kenshin, or any of the other 10,000 protagonists in every anime ever. Does anyone ever believe any of them are in real mortal danger? Of course not.

Yeah, occasionally they die for good, but that's always at the end when the story is about to wrap up anyway.

All of this.

Quote:
Far as Kirito having "little no no flaws," that is simply not true. Anyone that's actually seen SAO would admit to that. Kirito is a complete and total mess on the inside. He's selfish. He's antisocial. He gets his entire guild killed after 6 months because of his own flaws and spends another 6 months on painful suicide missions trying to kill his own grief. On an emotional level, he's needed to be rescued repeatedly throughout the series because he's really weak in that area.

Yes. So deliciously, emotionally weak....
(spoiler for "I'M MESSED UP AND WEIRD")
spoiler[it brings out Chiibi's creepy, sadistic side like no other recent character.....his pain is my utmost pleasure. NOM NOM.]

.......oops...TMI...? Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
...so your definition of "gary stu" is a male protagonist that is too well liked by females?

The gary-stu part is with how it's done. I don't have any problems with all the female characters liking a male character, my issue is that certain parts of it were not very convincing.

Here's what I'm thinking of. It's been awhile since I've seen this episode, but that episode with the blacksmith girl Lisbeth. So he saves her from the dragon, and then at the end of the episode she wants to tells Kirito her feelings. It felt very sudden to have Kirito save her and then she's suddenly in love with him. Since this all happens in a single episode, it felt very rushed.

Just to be clear, I have no problems with "gary stu" type characters depending on the setting and themes of the story. Chaika was one of my favorite shows from last season, and Chaika is also a "mary sue" type character because everyone she meets, except for the villians, wants to help her because she's so sincere and cute. I think it works in Chaika because it's a fantasy adventure story. SAO has a real-world setting and deals with real life issues like online gaming, bullying, personal trauma, etc. so I expect more "believable" characters. I put that in quotes because what counts as "believable" is going to come off differently to different people.

Bugnin wrote:
And Kirito wins every battle in the first arc because losing would mean his automatic death. Again, no different from every other series where you know the main character isn't going to die. You simply are not going to get any tension out of those situations.

No problems here either, obviously, if the main character dies that early then there's no point to the story. Again, it's been awhile, but there's several fights where Kirito is on the brink of death, and he pulls out some hidden power, or another character shows up and saves him. Of course many shows do this, and it's suspenseful the first or second time. But I felt it happened like 5 or 6 times in SAO.

Bugnin wrote:

Good points all, again, I don't think Kirito is a "true", textbook-case gary stu/ideal character for the reasons you listed. But I still felt that he resolved many of his personal conflicts either very quickly or sometimes in a superficial way. At least that's how it came off to me.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
All of this.

Honestly, I don't care for the term either, but I haven't seen any other term to describe it. Besides, what you call it doesn't matter because it's more about how the character is portrayed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Here's what I'm thinking of. It's been awhile since I've seen this episode, but that episode with the blacksmith girl Lisbeth. So he saves her from the dragon, and then at the end of the episode she wants to tells Kirito her feelings. It felt very sudden to have Kirito save her and then she's suddenly in love with him. Since this all happens in a single episode, it felt very rushed.

Speaking as a girl, if a cool, hot guy saved my life in that super-dramatic way Kirito did for Liz, I would be all his. Laughing
Some girls are just suckers for that "sweep-you-off-your-feet" stuff. :]

If you look at lots of horror or action movies that put people in life-threatening situations, the guy and girl usually develop feelings...don't they?

In Liz's case though, she absolutely can't stand him at first until he goes hero on her. I do recommend reading that side story; since it's all from her point of view and you get to see just how much he pisses her off in the beginning; it's downright hilarious to read.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Speaking as a girl, if a cool, hot guy saved my life in that super-dramatic way Kirito did for Liz, I would be all his. Laughing
Some girls are just suckers for that "sweep-you-off-your-feet" stuff. :]

Well, I can't argue with that Smile

Chiibi wrote:
In Liz's case though, she absolutely can't stand him at first until he goes hero on her. I do recommend reading that side story; since it's all from her point of view and you get to see just how much he pisses her off in the beginning; it's downright hilarious to read.

I'll check out, I've been thinking about looking into the manga as well.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
I think the most damning piece of evidence that Kirito is the Gary stu of Gary stu is that he can dual wiled because… he's just that damn awesome! In a mmo, game where everyone is identical and has access to the same resource, the author couldn't help themselves but make Kirito unique (outside of also having played the beta and somehow being able to solo group content).

And yeah every female character just falling for him almost as soon as they meet him is another pretty big tell tale. Every female character he meet fall for him, even his sister.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I think the most damning piece of evidence that Kirito is the Gary stu of Gary stu is that he can dual wiled because… he's just that damn awesome!

Um, if you recall, the person with the fastest speed wins the "dual-wield" ability. So, yeah, he's fast but that doesn't make him a Gary Stu. He's only skilled in games because that's all he freaking does all day, outside of school. Geek. :p

Quote:
And yeah every female character just falling for him almost as soon as they meet him is another pretty big tell tale. Every female character he meet fall for him, even his sister.

I don't think Sachi or Sinon have fallen for him. There's nothing to indicate their relationship with him was/is anything but platonic. Also he was in the game for two years. It's really not that odd for a couple people to crush on you in that time span.

.........geh I really hate debating about Mary Sues. This topic is about overrated chars, not Sues so I'm gonna steer this back to that.

Well guys, I'm about 104 chapters into Nisekoi AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ONODERA'S POPULARITY. AT ALL. HOLY CRAP IS SHE OVERRATED. Twisted Evil

1. She's the least pretty of the girls; in some drawings she actually looks like a man and she wears the ugliest clothes too. Don't get me started on that stupid hairstyle.

2. Her life, HER ENTIRE PERSONALITY REVOLVES. AROUND. LIKING. RAKU. That's freaking sad. This is my main reason for hating her. She's got nothing but that. No unique quirks, no interesting character traits; oh but lol she's clumsy and can't cook for crap...haha funny we haven't seen that a thousand times.

3. She's so f*cking weak-willed and wishy-washy and timid about everything that I just want to smack her. I feel bad for Ruri; having such an infuriating best friend.

Yet she's the most popular girl among the readers. EW WHY. SERIOUSLY WHY. She's such a crappy character! Or is it just because she's such a doormat that guys know she'll do absolutely anything without complaining or resisting?

Onodera is an insult to women everywhere. She's got to be the most anti-feminist character I've ever seen in a shounen manga....aside from the infamous yandere types...but you know what, even said yandere types are more interesting than her....and that's pretty bad.

Now I expect to get thrashed for typing all that. BUT just TRY to defend her; lol you've got NOTHING. "She's nice". SO IS EVERYBODY ELSE.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn Kirito got the dual-wield ability because his habit of soloing everything brought him to the attention of Mr. Crazy.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I could've sworn Kirito got the dual-wield ability because his habit of soloing everything brought him to the attention of Mr. Crazy.

Yep. It's more or less become his calling card since then, but he's not the one that started it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

He is never portrayed in the manner you are describing by the vast majority of the narrative in SAO1. The audience is left to infer what they want to about him. Is he "antisocial?" or is he just a lone hero, standing as the last bastion against evil? Is he a mess on the inside? Or, is he just a stoic badass who cuts down everyone in his way? Did he get his guild killed? Or, were they too greedy and idiotic to heed his warnings? In almost every case, the narrative is bent in a way to make Kirito look like he's in the right and everyone around him is just not as good as he is. (But that is the nature of his type of story. He is the otaku's avatar.)

Kirito is and always has been intended as a self-insert gary stu. Yes, that is why all of the ladies fall for him and he has a harem of hot girls frittering away their time in fairy land waiting for him to come and give them attention. That's not to say he is the worst character I have seen. He might be a fun gary stu, but that's what he is. Admittedly, SAO2 was much better about expanding on his inner turmoil, but the lack of such depth was a massive problem in SAO1.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:

Gokuu is not supposed to be a hero, that's pretty much what the entire Majin Buu arc is about.

Ideal father? Majin Buu arc? You really want to bring up the part of Goku's life where he knocks up his wife and then dies, let's just say from stupidity, and then decides to stay dead?

There was so many ways Toriyama could have undone his bridge burning, "There will be no continuation!" ending but the one he choose literally makes Goku a dead deadbeat dad.

And then there's the end of the Frieza arc where Goku could have been wished back to Earth but he choose not to because while his family loves him, he can take or leave them {usually with Piccolo}, especially when it comes to training.

Which brings up Uub and the series true ending, which is simply crap. As far as Goku as a dad is concerned, alive or dead, he means the same to his family.

That's not fair; A grave would at least be there to be a shoulder to cry on.

Chichi and love? I never put those two words together before. I think it's more of a case of "puts up with him" because if she wanted a divorce, first she'd have to find him and then she'd have to explain what a divorce is. Maybe they both knew their marriage would either end in death, death, death {Got to love those Dragon Balls}... or Goku just wandering away one day.

Last word; Goku is supposed to be a hero, that's what the Cell arc is all about; Goku passing his "world savior" mantle to Gohan and Toriyama having to undo it because Goku's just more popular. But he just ends up proving how empty the character is in the Buu saga: He shows up, fights and leaves.

And he was still dead for some of that. You know, I never really understood that aspect of it; Every time Goku died, he always ended up with his physical body in a perfect state somehow. At the end of the Cell arc, Goku's fighting days should have ended in a cloud of human remains.

Even weirder, he seemed to be able to pass between the two worlds with ease alive but with difficulty once he got that halo... even if he was still able to train his physical body.

Wait, was he using that as an excuse so he didn't have to visit his family?!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Kirito is and always has been intended as a self-insert gary stu.

Your saying so doesn't make it true. If you put him through the Mary Sue Limitus Test, his score is not very high and I'm inclined to believe something like that more than a person's opinion on a forum.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Your saying so doesn't make it true. If you put him through the Mary Sue Limitus Test, his score is not very high and I'm inclined to believe something like that more than a person's opinion on a forum.

You can believe what you want. It's blatantly obvious that he is, which is why the vast majority of people commenting on him throughout SAO1 acknowledged him as such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10