• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
You can believe what you want. It's blatantly obvious that he is, which is why the vast majority of people commenting on him throughout SAO1 acknowledged him as such.

"Vast majority"? Lol you mean like five people on this forum?

Evidently not the creator of the Mary Sue test who actually researched what the term means.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Your saying so doesn't make it true. If you put him through the Mary Sue Limitus Test, his score is not very high and I'm inclined to believe something like that more than a person's opinion on a forum.

You can believe what you want. It's blatantly obvious that he is, which is why the vast majority of people commenting on him throughout SAO1 acknowledged him as such.

Yeah...this is why I said gary stu should be banned forever. It's a lazy criticism and no one who uses it understands what it actually means.

"I don't like this character...therefore he/she is a gary stu/mary sue."

There's just no actual thought involved in this type of criticism.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Evidently not the creator of the Mary Sue test who actually researched what the term means.

Anyone can research what it means. If you compare Kirito to the Star Trek concept that supposedly generated the term in the first place, he lines up pretty nicely.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Ikr.

I've seen people calling Kamito from Seirei a Gary Stu because *gasp* HE'S COMPETENT AND GIRLS LIKE HIM LIKE OMG CAN YOU IMAGINE

Quote:
If you compare Kirito to the Star Trek concept that supposedly generated the term in the first place, he lines up pretty nicely.

Yeah, let's see....

Quote:
Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.[5]

Um wtf no, he doesn't! He's just a good-looking geek who's good at swordfights and techie stuff!
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Anyone can research what it means. If you compare Kirito to the Star Trek concept that supposedly generated the term in the first place, he lines up pretty nicely.

He barely lines up at all. The concept implies total perfection. You'd have to be completely blind to see Kirto as perfect.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Yeah, let's see....

Quote:
Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.[5]

Actually Kirito shares many of those qualities. He is young and appears to be smarter than everyone in SAO. He has unprecedented skill in everything from sword-fighting to strategy to hacking to riding motorcycles. His skills are so high in fact that he can slice through bullets in mid-air and predict where bullets will be fired before the person even fires them. He's the fastest kid alive, so he is the only one chosen to use the most badass skill of dual-wielding. His willpower is so strong that he can prevent himself from dying, and override the system of a video game. Also, he's drop-dead gorgeous of course, so every girl who comes within a 10 ft radius of him must start blushing and want to join his harem. Also, he's apparently such a stud that his "wife" is totally okay with him spending many a romantic moment with other girls, holding them and promising to protect them because they are oh so special to him. He's also so hot that his own younger sister (with a huge rack of course) can barely contain her desire for him. So, yea... he's in the "good graces" of quite a few big breasted and/or super hot girls.

I'd say he lines up quite nicely. However, you are missing the larger point. I think this is what most people miss when they try to claim that mary sue/gary stu is some crazy term that no one can ever use.

The point is, there isn't some "litmus test" or checklist of traits that will tell you automatically if a character fits this concept or not. The term is mainly focused on describing a very special type of "self-insert" character. It is a type that is on the extreme end of the "author insert." This is a character that the author wrote specifically because he or she wants very badly to be that character, and imbues that character with all of their own ideal characteristics and scenarios. The story and all other characters in the story exist mainly to service the characteristics and scenarios for this character that the author wants very badly to be. That is the essence of the term. It is pretty clear that Kirito serves that role for Kawahara.

Like I said, you can like Kirito. It's fine. He seems like a likeable chap. But he is Kawahara's ideal avatar, his "gary stu", unlike his other leading boy, Haruyuki, who is a non-idealized character (and thus a much better one in this context).
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Actually Kirito shares many of those qualities. He is young and appears to be smarter than everyone in SAO.

...because he played game before, and got further than the other testers, so he had the most knowledge. It didn't just fall out of the sky.

Quote:
He has unprecedented skill in everything from sword-fighting to strategy to hacking to riding motorcycles.

...if "sword fighting to motorcycles," you really mean "just those two and nothing in between
Laughing

Quote:
His skills are so high in fact that he can slice through bullets in mid-air and predict where bullets will be fired before the person even fires them.
]

Yep, he's really good at sword fighting. We've established that. That does not make him a gary stu.

Quote:
He's the fastest kid alive, so he is the only one chosen to use the most badass skill of dual-wielding.

...an ability that was given to him by someone else.

Quote:
His willpower is so strong that he can prevent himself from dying, and override the system of a video game.

point taken. Of course Asuna also broke the established rules of the game, so I take it she's a mary sue as well?

Quote:
Also, he's apparently such a stud that his "wife" is totally okay with him spending many a romantic moment with other girls, holding them and promising to protect them because they are oh so special to him.

This sounds a bit like jealously...of a fictional character. Wow.

He's a gary stu because...Asuna isn't a stereotypical possessive anime shrew girl? This makes sense to you? Does she even have reason to be upset with him? Has he cheated on her somehow? This is really, really poor reasoning.

Quote:
He's also so hot that his own younger sister (with a huge rack of course) can barely contain her desire for him. So, yea... he's in the "good graces" of quite a few big breasted and/or super hot girls.

Yeah, that was gross. Also had nothing to do with Kirito. GLad the story moved on from that.

Quote:

I'd say he lines up quite nicely. However, you are missing the larger point. I think this is what most people miss when they try to claim that mary sue/gary stu is some crazy term that no one can ever use.

It isn't it just can't be applied with people that don't even try to understand it. You clearly do not understand it. Most people who use it don't. You know why? Because the standards are so high that the people that actually understand the term do not use it.

Quote:

It is pretty clear that Kirito serves that role for Kawahara.

Like I said, you can like Kirito. It's fine. He seems like a likeable chap. But he is Kawahara's ideal avatar, his "gary stu", unlike his other leading boy, Haruyuki, who is a non-idealized character (and thus a much better one in this context).

Reki has long since denied that Kirito is a self-insert, but I suppose you would know better?

He also explained that Kirito and Hariyuki were supposed to be polar opposites. One strong on the outside and weak on the inside, and the other vice versa, so you completely missed the point of the character.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Actually Kirito shares many of those qualities. He is young and appears to be smarter than everyone in SAO.

There's NO evidence that he's "smarter than everyone in SAO".

Quote:
He has unprecedented skill in everything from sword-fighting to strategy to hacking to riding motorcycles. His skills are so high in fact that he can slice through bullets in mid-air and predict where bullets will be fired before the person even fires them.

In video games. Just video games! He's powerless in reality!

Quote:
His willpower is so strong that he can prevent himself from dying,

Just like MOST shounen heroes. lol

Quote:
Also, he's drop-dead gorgeous of course, so every girl who comes within a 10 ft radius of him must start blushing and want to join his harem.

Oh brother, talk about gross exaggerating. -_-

Quote:
Also, he's apparently such a stud that his "wife" is totally okay with him spending many a romantic moment with other girls, holding them and promising to protect them because they are oh so special to him.

Asuna's okay with it because she trusts him. Kirito protects people not for the sake of romance but for the sake of not wanting them to die....geeze. That's how bad Sachi's death affected him. He's trying to make up for it.

Quote:
So, yea... he's in the "good graces" of quite a few big breasted and/or super hot girls.

He's an anime male protagonist. That's not unheard of.

Quote:

The point is, there isn't some "litmus test" or checklist of traits that will tell you automatically if a character fits this concept or not. The term is mainly focused on describing a very special type of "self-insert" character. It is a type that is on the extreme end of the "author insert." This is a character that the author wrote specifically because he or she wants very badly to be that character, and imbues that character with all of their own ideal characteristics and scenarios. The story and all other characters in the story exist mainly to service the characteristics and scenarios for this character that the author wants very badly to be. That is the essence of the term. It is pretty clear that Kirito serves that role for Kawahara.

Actually author avatars and Sues are not the same thing. I just read that.

Quote:
He also explained that Kirito and Hariyuki were supposed to be polar opposites.

Ooh, cool, I didn't know. :'D I'm planning to watch Accel World after SAO finishes; found it for a bargain at WAL-MART OF ALL PLACES. :'DDD
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well since Chiibi and Bugnin basically admitted that all of the things I claimed about Kirito were more or less accurate, but they just tried to explain them away with excuses, I think I'll just take that as a win for "yea, Kirito has a lot of ridiculously idealized characteristics that gary stu tend to have."

Now, on to the issue posed by Chiibi at the end...

Chiibi wrote:

Actually author avatars and Sues are not the same thing. I just read that.

Notice how I said that a gary stu is on the "extreme end" of an author insert? You have to read what I say more carefully. I wasn't talking about any old author insert. I was talking about an extreme form of author insert. That's what a gary stu is. That is what the Star Trek character was.

Quote:

Ooh, cool, I didn't know. :'D I'm planning to watch Accel World after SAO finishes; found it for a bargain at WAL-MART OF ALL PLACES. :'DDD

You should. Accel World is a much better story than SAO. Haruyuki is ten times better of a character too. And contrary to what Bugnin was indicating, he's not "strong on the inside" as some polar opposite to Kirito. He struggles quite a lot with his emotional turmoil all throughout the series. That's what makes him so much more compelling than Kirito. He also has to actually win the heart of his love interest, and it takes a good while before she stops seeing him as just a tool for her own purposes.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

You should. Accel World is a much better story than SAO. Haruyuki is ten times better of a character too. And contrary to what Bugnin was indicating, he's not "strong on the inside" as some mirror opposite to Kirito.

Actually...that's not me saying that. Reki said that. You know, the Author who wrote both series? You going to tell me he's wrong?

Hariyuki has a strong moral compass. He gets bullied but internally he's very tough. Kirito struggles all the time with his own morality. They are indeed polar opposites.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

Actually...that's not me saying that. Reki said that. You know, the Author who wrote both series? You going to tell me he's wrong?

Assuming you are accurately quoting him, I will just say I think he is doing a good bit of revisionism.

Bugnin wrote:

Hariyuki has a strong moral compass. He gets bullied but internally he's very tough. Kirito struggles all the time with his own morality. They are indeed polar opposites.

I don't think you watched Accel World. Or, if you did, you didn't pay attention. Haruyuki spends a significant portion of the show suffering with self-confidence issues and general emotional instability. He wants to be strong, yes, like any shounen hero. But he is an emotional wreck for much of the show. But go ahead, keep buying into the revisionist explanation.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well since Chiibi and Bugnin basically admitted that all of the things I claimed about Kirito were more or less accurate, but they just tried to explain them away with excuses, I think I'll just take that as a win for "yea, Kirito has a lot of ridiculously idealized characteristics that gary stu tend to have."

...........you just intepret things the way you want to, don't you?

In terms of an anime character, Kirito is absolutely NO more "ridiculous" than the others so I don't know why he gets so much flak.

Quote:

You should. Accel World is a much better story than SAO. Haruyuki is ten times better of a character too.

I'll be the judge of that.

Quote:
He struggles quite a lot with his emotional turmoil all throughout the series.

So does Kirito.

Quote:
He also has to actually win the heart of his love interest

So did Kirito. Rolling Eyes Or did you miss the part where it took two years and a life-death battle for them to get together?

Last edited by Chiibi on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Assuming you are accurately quoting him, I will just say I think he is doing a good bit of revisionism.

...so the author of both stories is lying and you're the correct one regarding the characters he created. ok.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
He struggles quite a lot with his emotional turmoil all throughout the series.

So does Kirito.

Nope

Quote:
Quote:
He also has to actually win the heart of his love interest

So did Kirito.

And nope again. He barely had to do anything for Asuna to want to be his waifu. He was just so sexy and badass that she ultimately just couldn't resist him. That's how Kirito wins all the girls of his harem.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

...so the author of both stories is lying and you're the correct one regarding the characters he created. ok.

Again, assuming you are accurately quoting him, authors have done far more to deflect criticism of their writing. Should anyone really be all that surprised if that happened with him? Nope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10