• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network Are #1 in Quarterly Rankings for Key Demographics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is, as I am the Western fan who is tired of moe and nothing about Space Dandy appeals to me.
Generalizations don't ask for everyone who dosen't fall under the generalization to make a stand. Especially when they aren't made to full an argument.

Quote:
If the mission of Space Dandy was what you purport it to be then the show clearly missed the mark.
I'm not purporting it to be anything. I don't care what Space Dandy is or what it's trying to do. I'm talking about the arguments that come up in regards to it.

Quote:
I disagree about the visuals in Space Dandy as they struck me as a cheap imitation of Gainax's stuff or Excel Saga
I don't see how it looks anything like Gainax stuff. It's a Bones looking show through and through. It sure dosen't look anything like Excel Saga which I don't remember have any visuals of note. Excel Saga looks pretty bland and it did'nt invent hyperactive comedy either.

Quote:
Excel Saga was worlds above Space Dandy; Dandy is a hybrid of Bebop and Excel Saga that isn't as good as either.
I guess. I don't really see what makes it like Excel Saga. Excel Saga is a pretty forgettable anime in my opinion.

Quote:
BTW, if you didn't watch Excel Saga dubbed then you didn't watch Excel Saga and I can understand, to an extent, your disdain for it.
Oh I only watched it dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ascalon8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
still hate Dandy, and I still think the real lack of competition is what's driving these numbers

Nobody cares about you, go back to your crappy moe!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I was about to ask the same thing. Some people don't have anything better to do than offer "intellectual" defenses for why they don't like things, and to try and make people feel bad for liking them. Go figure.

Um, I think you've radically misunderstood me. I'm certainly not trying to make people feel bad for liking something here because I myself quite like Space Dandy. Although nor am I criticizing anyone for disliking it either if that's what you meant to say. Like and dislike are irrelevant. People can feel however they want about a show. What I do take issue with is the rather tiresome group of people who are apparently not content to simply dislike Space Dandy. They feel the need to constantly remind everyone that A) It's not actually as popular or successful as it seems and B) the people who like it actually only do because of a bunch of spurious reasons. They do this incessantly at every opportunity and it's always the same group. It's this whole weird tribalist thing against anything different that doesn't cater to the audience they're a part of.

Anyway, my post was an entirely facetious adoption of their position punctuated with (bracketed) statements about the rather sad mentality their predictable behavior actually belies.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seeing as how I also found Excel Saga tired and unfunny after the first 5 episodes and could never watch it again, I'm not sure I'd hold Nabeshin up to some great height. At least Space Dandy has some nice visuals going on.

So let me get this straight. You bash someone for not liking a show and say their opinion doesn't matter essentially, then you talk about how you don't like a show, yet somehow your word should be taken as arbiter of the grandiose?

I understand what you are saying but it's hypocritical. Excel Saga is horrible and so is Dandy, for different reasons. There are a bunch of shows that look good but are simply unfunny. I can see where some people may find it funny since humor is VERY subjective. Personally, I find it unfunny as boob jokes and wackiness arent exactly my cup of tea.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So let me get this straight. You bash someone for not liking a show and say their opinion doesn't matter essentially, then you talk about how you don't like a show, yet somehow your word should be taken as arbiter of the grandiose?
I never said Echo's opinion on Space Dandy dosen't matter. I said I'm not sure why he felt the need to point out that he's not under the generalization. I also don't understand why Excel Saga has been brought up. I''m not talking about if the show is good or not, that dosen't matter. I'm talking about how the show has been talked about. The constant argument about this show has been part of this "moe vs anti moe, western anime thing".

Also I did'nt bash him for liking the show. I also don't like Space Dandy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I don't see how any of these supposed 'western appealing' shows really are all that different from what people complain about. Laughing People are tired of wacky, nonsensical fanservice anime so they watch a wacky, nonsensical fanservice anime like Space Dandy. People are tired of moe lolis running around, so they fund the Little Witch Academia kickstarter so we get more moe lolis running around. People are tired of exploitative fanservice at the sake of women's dignity, so they watch Kill La Kill, a show that revels in exploiting its female characters and humiliating them.

These three shows seem to be some recent stuff people use when they wanna talk about western appeal but it seems like American tastes and Japanese tastes aren't all that different after all Wink Maybe fans of the shows just have an issue with admitting they like this kinda stuff and gotta find some excuse or something...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
These ratings coup supports CN's move to make Adult Swim start even earlier to 8pm EST like tonight. Never thought I'd see the day that Venture Bros would be on 8pm or Robot Chicken would be on 9pm. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Looks like Space Dandy is a hit after all! Don't underestimate the power of a Dandy guy in Space!

Although the earlier start might have something to do with the ratings as well...

it was kinda predictable that it would do well. not to mention bleach too.

though i am more surprised that blue exorcist and black lagoon are doing well considering that they have already been released in the US.

Especially black lagoon considering that Pioneer/Geneon Ent released the dub version all the way back in 2006, and its the censored version too. not to mention there is no way i could see the roberta blood trail OAV being released for AS either. so the odds was definitely against it. its as i said, a definite shocker.

As for its CN side, its no surprised that nearly 15 years pocket monster is still as popular , considering the demograph their targeting, but unless they start expanding it, by having actual sub versions and using the original japaneese scripts, it will tank badly, and Nintendo's sales will tank too.

cause just like some yugioh fans, those that got into pocket monsters 15 years ago are now watching fansub versions of the series, especially those infamous banned episodes online, and not watching it on TV anymore, which will obviously means less revenue for its creators nintendo and game freak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
jr0904 you're operating on the misguidance the dubbing companies actually care about the show Laughing I think the fact they always cancel Yu-Gi-Oh early to move onto the newest season and don't dub the specials/OVAs for Pokemon is clear they just put em on TV to make money and little else. Not really concerned with treating the fans right.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
It's kind of a shame that those first few episodes gave Space Dandy a reputation as a fanservice show, because it actually has very little of that beyond the increasingly occasional visits to Boobies.

jr0904 wrote:
As for its CN side, its no surprised that nearly 15 years pocket monster is still as popular , considering the demograph their targeting, but unless they start expanding it, by having actual sub versions and using the original japaneese scripts, it will tank badly, and Nintendo's sales will tank too.

cause just like some yugioh fans, those that got into pocket monsters 15 years ago are now watching fansub versions of the series, especially those infamous banned episodes online, and not watching it on TV anymore, which will obviously means less revenue for its creators nintendo and game freak.

I think you're grossly misinterpreting who the target demographic is.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's kind of a shame that those first few episodes gave Space Dandy a reputation as a fanservice show, because it actually has very little of that beyond the increasingly occasional visits to Boobies.

And even in the beginning the jokes in "Space Dandy" mostly ridiculed fanservice(for example,look at the ending of episode 3). When Dandy has one of his lengthy monologues in which talks about his adoration of asses ,we aren't laughing with him,we are laughing at him.Female anatomy isn't the subject of the joke,Dandy is.And that is one of many things that makes "Space Dandy" different from your average fanservice show.Also like you mentioned fanservice becomes very rare in later episodes.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
When Dandy has one of his lengthy monologues in which talks about his adoration of asses ,we aren't laughing with him,we are laughing at him.

Really? I see similar 'man declares his love of female body part' manly monologues in lots of other fanservice anime so its not so different from your average fanservice show it seems Wink Kinda sounds like an excuse to enjoy a show which opens with a philosophical debate about TnA. Nothing wrong with enjoying that.
Dunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Y'know, I don't see how any of these supposed 'western appealing' shows really are all that different from what people complain about. Laughing People are tired of wacky, nonsensical fanservice anime so they watch a wacky, nonsensical fanservice anime like Space Dandy. People are tired of moe lolis running around, so they fund the Little Witch Academia kickstarter so we get more moe lolis running around. People are tired of exploitative fanservice at the sake of women's dignity, so they watch Kill La Kill, a show that revels in exploiting its female characters and humiliating them.

These three shows seem to be some recent stuff people use when they wanna talk about western appeal but it seems like American tastes and Japanese tastes aren't all that different after all Wink Maybe fans of the shows just have an issue with admitting they like this kinda stuff and gotta find some excuse or something...

Artstyle has a alot to do with it, and just general style.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
jr0904 you're operating on the misguidance the dubbing companies actually care about the show Laughing I think the fact they always cancel Yu-Gi-Oh early to move onto the newest season and don't dub the specials/OVAs for Pokemon is clear they just put em on TV to make money and little else. Not really concerned with treating the fans right.

i think you mean the dub version always cancel early. and mostly it was cause of that beef that NAS and TV Tokyo had with 4kids.

From what i know, the original version of 5D's and GX completed their series so i am definitely informed when it comes to series like those.

Generic #757858 wrote:

I think you're grossly misinterpreting who the target demographic is.

Ah no. i actually got it right. at least for the US version that is.

anything that shows of the CN side are for the 4-11 category , while the AS targets the older crowd (18-34)

and considering how popular black lagoon is even though its a 10 yr old series and its a severely edited , its obviously for the 18-34 crowd.

Dont be surprised that by the end of the year that they might consider getting the broadcast license for Panty and Stocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Little Witch Academia has a focus on the showcase of animation. It is all about showing a animator playing around. Combine that with a simple and charming story and there you go. It's not a surrogate for female interaction. It is not a surrogate for looking at attractive females.

So no it's not seen as a "look at the lolis" despite having cute girls.

Kill La Kill has plenty of fanservice, but directed with style and flair. The action scenes, world design, character design, and everything overflow with personality and care.

So no it isn't seen as a run of the mill fanservice show because isn't.

Space Dandy I guess is much the same with its stylish and inventive animation scenes. Also the tone is goofy and the show is more about watching this goofball then watch this goodfball get all these hot girls. It isn't really about the fanservice, it's really there as sex humor. Not "look at these boobs aren't you hard?".

So no it's not seen as a otaku creep show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5