• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron Discusses Battle Angel Alita on Reddit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Come on. BAA has been in development before "Avatar" came out. The story has already been written for you and I seriously doubt it needs "Avatar's" budget to look good.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Also of note from that thread is that he denied the rumors that he wanted Alba as the lead character.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's never getting made.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Avatar wasn't even that good.. was alright the first time through, but nothing special, no re-watch value at all.

However i was only watching the 2D dvd version.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see something straight from the horse's mouth, and more in-depth than he has been in the past. Hey, if it ends up being a good movie, then I'm okay with the wait. And to those who said it was never getting made, keep in mind that Frozen took 75 years in production until it was finally released. I feel like it'll come out eventually, just not anytime soon.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to more Avatar. Yes, the plot of the first liberally borrowed from other things, but I still had fun with it.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
I remember James Cameron talking about "plans" to "make" Battle Angle Alita from back in '04, before Avatar was a "thing". I call a "Duke Nukem Forever" on this. Cameron should stick to being a hard director to work with and keep delivering what he knows he will: pretty movies.
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's never getting made.

Agreed. And to be honest I hope it never does.

Directors who are passionate about an original material make the best adaptations. In this case we have clearly seen from Cameron once and again a disregard for BAA which can't be a good sign. Avatar came out long ago, if he was actually excited and eager to work on BAA it would have been possible to have made it before the sequels for Avatar and it probably wouldn't have delayed them more than a year. He may be James Cameron, a talented and award-winning director but the lack of interest he seems to show for this manga to be adapted is beyond worrisome and I hope he doesn't adapt it at all. Alita is a great classic that everyone who has interest in manga and graphic novels in general should read and I think it deserves more respect and passion than this.

Keep doing Avatar (which by the way is a very average movie in all aspects but the visuals and less so but still the cinematography) and give the chance to another director who can envision an exciting adaptation of Alita - everyone wins in this scenario. Neil Blomkamp or Ridley Scott I'd rather see them take the project.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The story has already been written for you

This, in a nutshell, is why Cameron will never make this film, as he has a story credit for every film he's ever directed.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
The story has already been written for you

This, in a nutshell, is why Cameron will never make this film, as he has a story credit for every film he's ever directed.

If he has credit for "writing" the story for Avatar then his fame/wealth must make him exempt from plagiarism prosecution as that story had been done to death long before "Dances with Smurfs" debuted.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised he still has passion for BAA after this long. Most of us would get bored of even a favorite anime/manga after a decade or more. I wouldn't blame James Cameron if he just admitted he got bored of the project after so long. He must really love BAA to still have long-term plans for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
He's probably just clinging on it, because he missed out on Spider-Man, and doesn't want to make the same mistake. But like Spider-Man, he should just let it someone else get a crack at it, already.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
That ship has long since sailed. He needs to do something so we never have to "hear" about Gunnm rumors ever again. We still be waiting for FF15.

New Gunnm? Really? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1