• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Begin 4K HDTV Broadcast Test Run on June 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Kamen Rider and Super Sentai in 4k.

We've come a long way here.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
maybe they should start with dolby prologic II first
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll wait until they're under $500 like enormous 1080p TVs can be today.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I'll wait until they're under $500 like enormous 1080p TVs can be today.

It shouldn't be long. You can already buy a 39" UHDTV for under $500.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
Is there a Bluray format for this or will it mean new discs? New player, new TV... blah.... Not ready yet it seems:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20140120230316_BDA_Developing_4K_UHD_Blu_Ray_Specification.html

Ah well... I still have and play my VHS tapes from the 80s and 90s... so I won't dump my DVDs or Bluray 1080p discs any time soon LOL
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
If the upgrade to 4k will only be noticeable with an expensive, giant television, no thanks. I am perfectly fine with 1080p. My biggest concern is if these developments will mess up in any way how anime is produced. I would hate for the current anime BD's we get right now to be phased out within the next 5 years.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If the upgrade to 4k will only be noticeable with an expensive, giant television, no thanks. I am perfectly fine with 1080p. My biggest concern is if these developments will mess up in any way how anime is produced. I would hate for the current anime BD's we get to be phased out within the next 5 years.

I got a chance to look at 4K TV at my local Sears, I was impressed by the image, I could see the smallest details at a better resolution. About anime in 4K, yeah I found out from a ANNcast that 4K will not look any good on anime and won't make any different and I asked people about it on a ANN thread (a little of word of advice: don't necropost that thread, just read and you'll see). My other concern is that I don't know if 4K/8k TVs will sellout in Japan due to the tax hike, and another tax hikes in Japan will happen next year (which will go up 10%) which will make buying 4K/8K TVs more difficult.

Can't wait to see how UHD broadcast will look in Japan, I know South Korea (which has become the first country in the world/Asia to broadcast in 4K UHD) did this recently, and it looks like it's getting good reception. I'm hoping the same for Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
About anime in 4K, yeah I found out from a ANNcast that 4K will not look any good on anime and won't make any different and I asked people about it on a ANN thread

I am aware that Justin Sevakis has said that anime in 4k will not make much of a difference.

Quote:
Can't wait to see how UHD broadcast will look in Japan, I know South Korea (which has become the first country in the world/Asia to broadcast in 4K UHD) did this recently, and it looks like it's getting good reception. I'm hoping the same for Japan.

Not me. I am not very enthusiastic about 4k, and I would prefer that Japanese companies stuck for a while to the current way anime is produced and BD's of it are manufactured.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Quote:

Not me. I am not very enthusiastic about 4k, and I would prefer that Japanese companies stuck for a while to the current way anime is produced and BD's of it are manufactured.

I can understand where you come from on this, if you want to watch 4K images, better stick to live-action, I don't think anime will have any better look in 4K or 8K UHD.

hpulley wrote:
Is there a Bluray format for this or will it mean new discs? New player, new TV... blah.... Not ready yet it seems:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20140120230316_BDA_Developing_4K_UHD_Blu_Ray_Specification.html

Ah well... I still have and play my VHS tapes from the 80s and 90s... so I won't dump my DVDs or Bluray 1080p discs any time soon LOL

Oh I forgot to answer this person's question, yes there's already 4K blu-ray films out already.

These 4K blu rays has already been out for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

You have fallen for the marketing. Those are 1080p discs. Check the amazon page for one of them:

amazon.com wrote:
The Blu-ray “Mastered in 4K” collection will set a new standard for Blu-ray HD picture and sound, creating the ultimate 1080p home entertainment experience."

Even if they were 4K blurays, somehow, there's no such animal as a 4K bluray player to play them on yet...
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

You have fallen for the marketing. Those are 1080p discs. Check the amazon page for one of them:

amazon.com wrote:
The Blu-ray “Mastered in 4K” collection will set a new standard for Blu-ray HD picture and sound, creating the ultimate 1080p home entertainment experience."

Even if they were 4K blurays, somehow, there's no such animal as a 4K bluray player to play them on yet...

There's already blu-ray players that have been upgraded to playback 4K blu-ray. For example: this Samsung one, and another one from Toshiba. There'll probably be more coming out at some point. Also, where were you when it was announced the PS4 can playback 4K blu-ray since it support 4K films/images (not game as of now, sadly).

EDIT 1: I checked each of those, and according to blu-ray.com they're the real deal.

Spiderman 1 4k Blu-ray review

Battle: Los Angeles 4K blu-ray review

When they review this, they didn't have the UHD TV. But now since UHDTV has already gotten release, we should see more image comparison between 1080P and 4K images.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
EDIT 1: I checked each of those, and according to blu-ray.com they're the real deal.

Spiderman 1 4k Blu-ray review
www.blu-ray.com wrote:
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (34.67 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1
(emphasis added)

mdo7 wrote:
www.blu-ray.com wrote:
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1
(emphasis added)

They were only MASTERED at 4k. They're still PRINTED at 1080p.

Anything that is shot in digital (which is most big productions at this point) is mastered at 4k, because "shot in digital" means "shot in 4k" (because, for big time stuff, they're using 4k cameras).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7 Are you blind?

I ask because both of those reviews clearly state the resolution as 1080p.

The master from which the BDs were authored/encoded from is 4K.
The resulting BDs are still 1080p.

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) only just announced a few months back that they'd approved 4K standard for blurays, and the first discs of that format are expected to hit shelves at the end of this year.
Also, those discs will need a dedicated player, you'll not gonna play those on your old-fashioned BD-player. Which also are not out yet...

As for 4K broadcasting, I guess it's coming... Not sure how much anime will benefit from it, at least not that much your average pick of series of a season. Movies might be a different issue.

If there's one thing we can count on though, when the first anime hits airwaves in 4K, so will fansubbers release it in all its 4K glory. Right before dipping into h265. Cool (though I'm not exactly looking forward to updating my codec packs when the transition happens...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the master was sized in that 4k resolution, but the video still had to be downsized for the BluRay disc that you actually buy. Sort of the time idea as buying the DVD version of a remastered film. The film was remastered in 1080p, but you're only buying the 480p version.

4k won't be a thing to worry about here in Murrica, we can barely even transmit 720p/1080i without overloading systems.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Also, those players you linked aren't 4K players. They're 1080P players, with software upscaling and 4K outputs. They're "4K players" in the same way that a 480P-DVD player with upscaled 1080P outputs is a "bluray player".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2