• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Offers Fate/Stay night Manga in Digital Format

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beized

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
He wants to be come a herp of justice...
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
....derp?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Can't they just become physical prints a la Nisekoi?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

The thing is, Nisekoi was never in print and not a license rescue. Printing license rescues might depend on demand, if there's any chance they'll be printed at all. The number of volumes may be a factor as well.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
I was interested when I found out Viz had licensed this, but lost all interest as soon as I found out it would be digital-only. I've gotten used to Jump going all digital, but when it comes to individual volumes of manga, I prefer physical.

Still hoping this does get a physical release eventually though, as I'd like to give the manga a try.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
umm...I hate to correct something but FUNi didn't have the rights to the TV series Sentai Filmworks does.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

The thing is, Nisekoi was never in print and not a license rescue. Printing license rescues might depend on demand, if there's any chance they'll be printed at all. The number of volumes may be a factor as well.

I can definitely see that. Digital releases can, at times, be a way to "test the waters" for a print release's viability.

Being a fan of DNAngel, I can honestly say I don't expect it to ever see a print release again, by simple dint of its author's reputation for leaving her series unfinished. Sometimes for years. Rolling Eyes
Beized

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
umm...I hate to correct something but FUNi didn't have the rights to the TV series Sentai Filmworks does.....

Funimation did release a DVD set of Fate/stay night waaay back when, but I assumed the license, or deal to distribute Geneon stuff lapsed, as the recent Blu-ray and DVD sets are from Sentai.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
I hope they are testing the waters for a possible omnibus release. With Fate/Zero and the upcoming remake, if nothing else the franchise is more than it was three years ago when Tokyopop dropped it.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Well, how about that. It's great that it has been rescued, but does it have to be digital? Oh well, here's hoping it eventually gets a physical release like Nisekoi.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting for the print myself, but I find it silly that I need to hope that the digital fanbase picks this up. I'll buy it, just not in that format, so there's nothing I can do it. I also don't have extra money to double-dip on it anyways (too much other stuff I want to buy this year).
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Was Nisekoi ever implied to be digital-only by Viz? People are bringing it up as something that was digital only getting a print run, but I don't think that's the case.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Add another voice to the "would buy, but won't buy digital".

I really liked the manga. I think it did a really good job of mixing Fate and Unlimited Blade Works together (although I wish it would've stayed closer to UBW instead of veering back into Fate territory around where TP's version dropped). I'd love to own it... but I only buy physical merchandise.
konqueror

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
I hope they are testing the waters for a possible omnibus release. With Fate/Zero and the upcoming remake, if nothing else the franchise is more than it was three years ago when Tokyopop dropped it.

The Fate/stay night manga is awful though, mixing routes is never good. Also, the art is just bad (man faces). If that's what they're thinking, this is an awful method to test the waters. I mean, Shinji being a bro? That's just fanwanking.

Now, if you want a good manga adaptation of a TYPE MOON Visual Novel, please read the Tsukihime manga.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the manga is not as good as the original Fate or Zero but I have those ten volumes sitting on my self saying, "Why have we been abandoned???"
So yeah, I want a physical copy, and maybe they will get the omnibus out in the future because it certainly is more popular than ever thanks to Zero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2