• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cross-Dressing TV Anime Himegoto's 1st Promo Video Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
I heard this was going to be a short anime. Hmm...

First gender-bender show I'll be watching in a very long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting, I'll probably watch this when it becomes available.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Another genderbender that will probably fail for me because they didn't hire Jun Fukuyama for the main character. Nobody else does such a believable switch from a male to a female voice as he does.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
"As the student council's dog, you will spend your high school life in women's clothes."

I'm honestly getting sick of seeing this.

I had fun with Ouran High and a couple other similarly-themed shows just because they were rather lighthearted about things, but the only thing I see anymore as I get older is that the people with alternate sexual/gender functions in the anime-verse exist exclusively to either be made fun of or outright bent over & their personal space violated.

Case in point, the tone of that quote is in no way "lighthearted" and sounds like dressing as a girl should be interpreted as being humiliating or some sort of punishment. I consider this mentality offensive both to women in general and LGBT persons.

It makes me vomit, especially when there are some rather intelligent shows out there like Wandering Son or Genshiken Nidaime that seem to approach LGBT themes with some actual level of concern for the subject (though there were some moments Genshiken also dipped into the "creepy" pool with the way Hato got treated sometimes).
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Case in point, the tone of that quote is in no way "lighthearted" and sounds like dressing as a girl should be interpreted as being humiliating or some sort of punishment. I consider this mentality offensive both to women in general and LGBT persons.

For men who have stricter gender roles than women? Yes, it would be humiliating. They're not supposed to step out of their gender roles, or they'd face seriously repercussions for it. It's not that being a woman is a bad thing, it's just that men are supposed to be men and they are not supposed to step out of that. LGBT people have nothing to do with cross dressers. I'm in the LGBT community and this anime just looks like stupid fun. Crossdressers have nothing to do with homosexuals, bisexual people, or transgender people. It's actually rather ridiculous you'd even group the LGBT community in with cross dressers. Kind of stereotypical if you'd ask me.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

It makes me vomit, especially when there are some rather intelligent shows out there like Wandering Son or Genshiken Nidaime that seem to approach LGBT themes with some actual level of concern for the subject (though there were some moments Genshiken also dipped into the "creepy" pool with the way Hato got treated sometimes).

Wandering Son was an anime specifically about dealing with LGBT concepts. This is not. Do not compare an anime dealing with the very serious side of transsexualism to a comedic anime that is about a cross dressing boy. The 'T' in LGBT does not mean cross dresser.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
"As the student council's dog, you will spend your high school life in women's clothes."

1 I asked myself why they would demand that and decided that "because they can" isn't that bad as answers go. In comparison, Maria Holic would fall apart if Kanako realized Mariya's only power over her was the power she gave him. Perverts with power of money and position? I'll buy it.

2 Ok, how many of these "girls" are girls?

3 5 minutes is enough time to find out ... but it's not that kind of show.

The show has no potential with the combination of its roots and format; I can't even tell if it could be funny. Forced humiliation in five minute doses, I mean skits?

If the guy was an actual cross dresser at an all girl's school and the Student Council found out about it and make him their secretary and then we found out they were all boys {just the student council and not the whole school because that would be weird}, that would work.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
then there are anime that treat lgbt characters as if they were you know, just normal characters, the one that comes to mind right away is gatchaman crowds, I have seena few people complain about those shows not abording (?) the lgbt themes and just ignore them, but I think that is by itself nice, lgbt are accepted as perfectly normal people and being lgbt does not contribute to the drama, just like a character being black haired is not anything special, is not that what we want to reach ?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Interesting thing in anime that cross-dressed boys actually looks good because they just draw the boys the same way as girls. Very Happy Even the legs are drawn like female legs with the femur in the correct angle. Laughing

And yes, I agree, cross-dressing has nothing directly related to LGBT. I personally think that people should be able to dress in any way they want without this strict gender boundaries for clothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
I cant wait for this one I really do like the manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
but I think that is by itself nice, lgbt are accepted as perfectly normal people and being lgbt does not contribute to the drama, just like a character being black haired is not anything special, is not that what we want to reach ?

I certainly wouldn't mind that.

The question I'd like to ask the creator of this story/anime (Himegoto) is ~why does it seem like the guy here must be kicked around - especially on account of cross-dressing - for the show to be interpreted as comedic/entertaining~?

Why isn't the story instead about a guy character, cross-dressing & trying to escape "scary people", that is saved in some way by the female cast who then accept and support him.

If the student council was set to cover for him and get involved in his bizarre situation, I'd imagine their zany antics would be much more varied & interesting to watch than them constantly being ready to kick him while he's down & make fun of him.

The theme of the show as it stands just seems so negative.....I'll absolutely be avoiding it if it hits the streaming services.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Because it's a comedy for ambiguiousl;y bisexual men who like to see cute boys in girls' clothing.

You are taking this way too seriously
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
The theme of the show as it stands just seems so negative.....I'll absolutely be avoiding it if it hits the streaming services.

Way to judge a show without even seeing it first, brah. Kinda makes your opinion invalid if you judge stuff without watching it first
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll mostly only state what was in chapter 1 of the manga, which is that he was being chased by yakuza/loan sharks. I'm not sure why he was initially crossdressing, but the yakuza seeing him look so good in women's clothing planned on having him sell his body to pay off the debt in his name, which was made by the male lead's parents taking out shady loans to fund their world travelling addiction. The girls of the student council rescue him, but because he is crossdressing think initially he's a girl. They intended to force him into the student council (because of how pretty he is), which is composed of "pretty girls," but he declines because he is a boy. They're initially shocked that he turns out to be a boy, but because they see him more fitting as wearing women's clothing (and "traps" are becoming a popular thing), that when they learn of his debt problem they offer to pay it off under the conditions that he has to crossdress while attending school and that he is the student council's "dog." Though by "dog" it really just means that he's taking on the student council's work that the other members didn't want to do, but have to do, such as fulfilling requests by clubs and orders by the head of the school. Examples are needing a cheerleader for one of their sport's teams, needing a model for their photography club, having someone be sent out to confront delinquents smoking on campus, etc. As for other stuff, it's mostly the girls teasing the male lead to get him flustered, because they like his reactions to getting teased.

spoiler[Since it's not mentioned here, but it should also be pointed out the entirety of the 2nd half of the cast are crossdressers. Kaguya Arikawa is the younger brother of the male lead and he openly crossdresses because he loves to. No. 1 is the lead follower of Kaguya's fan club, but due to unsaid reasons she's crossdressing as a man for Kaguya's sake. Mitsunaga Oda is crossdressing due to a family tradition, and Hiro his servant/friend started crossdressing because he didn't want Mitsunaga to be alone in crossdressing.]
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Crossdressers have nothing to do with homosexuals, bisexual people, or transgender people.

Quoted for truth as the majority of crossdressers are actually cisgendered and straight.

I've seen some of the manga and the 'bailed out of debts to the yakuza' aspect is reminiscent of Hayate the Combat Butler, and the crossdressing aspect is reminiscent of 2006 series Princess Princess.

Overall it struck me as harmless wacky fun.
Seiru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh this will be a short anime.Well now I'll definitely watch it.It seems as if it'll be a funny one and I hope it is.But those names!Hime?It's as if the parents knew he would become a bishoujo!Laughing And Poop..Huh. ._.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2