• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Opens English Doraemon Site with Dubbed Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far as far as voices go. However, writing out the Japanese culture is ridiculous. What about the houses and their interiors? They're not exactly American homes. Talk about inconsistency. This is almost as bad Final Fantasy IV's hack job release as Final Fantasy II.
matsushima

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The dub doesn't sound too bad, it's a shame they changed a bit though...But hey you have to do what you have to do to make it appeal to kids. Although they probably would have been fine...

Because turning a first aid kit into a pizza (and yen into dollars) is sooo essential in order to appeal to kids, even though it's already a kids show........

The apologies that are being make for the cuts are beyond ridiculous.

Remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgxH2KG4ts
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far as far as voices go. However, writing out the Japanese culture is ridiculous. What about the houses and their interiors? They're not exactly American homes. Talk about inconsistency.

And given that half the episodes humorously taught young viewers about Japanese culture (Musashi, carp streamers, Setsubun beans), wouldn't have hurt to keep the location there--Since they have to explain it to preschoolers anyway.

Osaka2002 wrote:
Because turning a first aid kit into a pizza (and yen into dollars) is sooo essential in order to appeal to kids, even though it's already a kids show........

Oh, Harriet, are we STILL on that? Rolling Eyes
Okay, mods, I call a special emergency exemption on the "YouTube episodes" rule, in the hopes that education will prevail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-Id2AJIRw
(As you can see, earlier in the episode Nobita also gets a garlic attack from Gian in his sleep, so the gag's already set up.)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
At :13-:14, you can hear a very brief clip of Nobita screaming. And I can swear I've heard that scream before.

It sounds like he could be either Johnny Yong Bosch or Eric Kimerer, but it's hard to tell from just the one clip.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
Eeeek! It's Mona Marshall as Doraemon! Very Happy So adorable~!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

It's ridiculous to censor a cross, period. Let alone in a country where 73% of the population self-identifies as Christian.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
The closest I've come to watching Doraemon is seeing "Dola-chan" on No Game No Life. Laughing

I wanted to check out the vid, but it's geo-blocked.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

It's ridiculous to censor a cross, period. Let alone in a country where 73% of the population self-identifies as Christian.

Well, those 73% of the population would probably be offended if they saw the cross used for humor, especially in a kids' show. Organizations like the Parents Television Council and Focus on the Family protesting the content on Adult Swim/Toonami prove this.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The dub doesn't sound too bad, it's a shame they changed a bit though...But hey you have to do what you have to do to make it appeal to kids. Although they probably would have been fine...

The apologies that are being make for the cuts are beyond ridiculous.

Most little kids don't know what Japanese Yen is. To make it relatable to them, they have to replace it with dollars. The pizza thing is asinine, but the other edit is actually very sensible, from a business standpoint.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Hopefully the edits they make are only necessary ones.

Trust me, they won't be.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
Most little kids don't know what Japanese Yen is.

Oh, I'm pretty sure kids in America would know what Yen are in an instant if they're simply informed that "They're a type of currency used in Japan."
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
so the only good thing about this **** version is that mona marshall is the title character, still not enough to make me watch it. If I want to hear her voice I can always watch digimon adventure/02 again or start b daman cross fire.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And given that half the episodes humorously taught young viewers about Japanese culture (Musashi, carp streamers, Setsubun beans), wouldn't have hurt to keep the location there--Since they have to explain it to preschoolers anyway.

Seriously.

Quote:
Okay, mods, I call a special emergency exemption on the "YouTube episodes" rule, in the hopes that education will prevail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-Id2AJIRw
(As you can see, earlier in the episode Nobita also gets a garlic attack from Gian in his sleep, so the gag's already set up.)

Ah, well now the pizza swap makes a little more sense! Good thing vampires have more than one stereotyped weakness or the pizza edit would be really stupid.

CastMember1991 wrote:
Well, those 73% of the population would probably be offended if they saw the cross used for humor, especially in a kids' show. Organizations like the Parents Television Council and Focus on the Family protesting the content on Adult Swim/Toonami prove this.

Which is odd considering crosses have been left alone in more recent anime and games. They're not cutting and editing like they used to in the 90s and early 2000s over this nonsense.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
At :13-:14, you can hear a very brief clip of Nobita screaming. And I can swear I've heard that scream before.

It sounds like he could be either Johnny Yong Bosch or Eric Kimerer, but it's hard to tell from just the one clip.

Think they don't have all the episodes dubbed yet (it's still just the announcement), so they went with library sounds and no dialogue.

Ali07 wrote:
The closest I've come to watching Doraemon is seeing "Dola-chan" on No Game No Life. Laughing

Is that the same "Dola-chan" that Nodame watches on Nodame Cantabile? Wink

Also, for those curious, the Android/iOS "Doraemon's Repair Shop" linked to from the Viz site is actually pretty well done--Basically the Beauty Salon Dash game, only with repairing other cat-robots.
And coming from the Japanese company, already has the English-localized names for the characters (Sue, Sneech). From which we learn that Dekisugi, the sickeningly perfect grade-A classmate that Nobi thinks is a rival for Shizuka, is now "Goody"...Makes sense.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This does a really nice job of laying out the premise in 30 seconds, without feeling forced or gimmicky. Doreamon's voice is well cast, too. If this is any indicator, Disney will be staying true to this property, which is something I'm pleasantly surprised by.

But only 26 episodes on a 5 day a week timeslot? They're going to get into reruns after barely a month. That seems like a weirdly small number of episodes considering that they have literally THOUSANDS of eps to choose from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3