Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment to Reissue Ghost in the Shell


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1883
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
I hope that when they say a new master that they also MEAN 'new'. As bad as the original Japanese bluray was, even the HDTV version was a drastic improvement over it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4023
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
That's a shock to the system. i was under the assumption that they went six feet under considering they haven't licensed any series as of lately. glad their still around though.

though the 24.99 price tag have me wondering will it just be a simple release cause considering how Akira got treated with its 25th anniversary edition, i was under the asumption that this edition would easily be in the 69-79.99 rage that contains a crapload of extras that would make ghost in the shell fanatics drool.

hopefully this version will at least get an animation update and a HD update too along with some extras in the process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FLCLGainax



Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 586
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'd be satisfied if it was just a new transfer made from a well-preserved 35mm film print of the 1995 version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sniper_samurai



Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 55
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
That's a shock to the system. i was under the assumption that they went six feet under considering they haven't licensed any series as of lately. glad their still around though.

though the 24.99 price tag have me wondering will it just be a simple release cause considering how Akira got treated with its 25th anniversary edition, i was under the asumption that this edition would easily be in the 69-79.99 rage that contains a crapload of extras that would make ghost in the shell fanatics drool.

hopefully this version will at least get an animation update and a HD update too along with some extras in the process.


Nope, Manga Entertainment are alive and well being the biggest distributor in the UK, despite the US arm being all but defunct.


Last edited by sniper_samurai on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JinseiNGC224



Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
With all these's re-releases these days I can't help but yearn for classics that have been nearly forgotten but which I loved. Namely Record of Lodoss Wars and IRIA Zeiram The Animation, both OVA's from the 90's.

From research it looks like rights have expired, but Wikipedia's been wrong before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SouthPacific



Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 689
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
sniper_samurai wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
That's a shock to the system. i was under the assumption that they went six feet under considering they haven't licensed any series as of lately. glad their still around though.



Nope, Manga Ent are alive and well being the biggest distributor in the UK, Despite the US arm being all but defunct.


"Alive and well" as in surviving off sublicenses thanks to US distribs... Anime exclamation

spoiler[No but really, without US licenses Manga would close up real quick, just take a look at their catalog...]

Taking a quick look at Amazon I see that the UK release will go for 24£ (~41$!)... Preeeetty steep for a re-release, even if they've taken the effort to use steelbook packaging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7446
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Manga UK did say at the expo that would be available in the US, Canada and Australia also. They have been at pains to point out that it a transfer of the original film, not a re-release of GitS 2.0.

SouthPacific wrote:
Nope, Manga Ent are alive and well being the biggest distributor in the UK, Despite the US arm being all but defunct.

Nearly all of their titles are also licensed in the US and they rely on the US for dubs purely due to the relative sizes of the markets, but not all their titles are sub-licenses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
This is great news, and I'll be sure to pick this up in time. The 2.0 version was crap, but the ORIGINAL GitS movie is one of my all-time faves. I'm a bit surprised Manga is releasing anything, since they're still issuing the original GitS DVD from 1999. They aren't "dead" though, they're not even really a company anymore. They're a SUB-LABEL of Anchor Bay (owned by Starz).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4355
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Let me act all high and mighty for a minute (like some of the proud importers in these threads do) and say congratulations to R1 costumers. I bought the Japanese BD version (not 2.0), and it looks stunning. I hope Manga brings that version over here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7446
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Manga is a sister label to Anchor Bay, but as a company it no longer exists in the US - they have no dedicated staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3101
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Cool I can finely get this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1095
Location: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I wish they would have done a new dub with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and the rest of SAC cast, but having the unaltered version of the film is certainly nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1883
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Let me act all high and mighty for a minute (like some of the proud importers in these threads do) and say congratulations to R1 costumers. I bought the Japanese BD version (not 2.0), and it looks stunning. I hope Manga brings that version over here.

You sure?

HDTV(left)/BD(right, Japanese bluray from 2007) (comparisons borrowed from another site)

1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7

If you're wondering based on the screenshots, then yes, the BD was cropped, unlike its HDTV counterpart. As for the rest, I leave that for your eyes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4355
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Let me act all high and mighty for a minute (like some of the proud importers in these threads do) and say congratulations to R1 costumers. I bought the Japanese BD version (not 2.0), and it looks stunning. I hope Manga brings that version over here.

You sure?

If you're wondering based on the screenshots, then yes, the BD was cropped, unlike its HDTV counterpart. As for the rest, I leave that for your eyes...


I cannot tell you from those screen shots. All I know is that I have a 2011 release, and it looks great, like some of the better HD remasters of 80s and 90s anime. I believe Mike Toole mentioned once that there were several Japanese BD releases of this movie; he said that some looked bad, but there is one that looks great.[/url]


Last edited by angelmcazares on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9295
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well, I can tell from those shots, the BD version looks like ass. Just open up both pictures and flip between them, the differences jump out at you. Hopefully it's just an entire new transfer for this release, and I guess that's the only kind of thing that would excite in licensing going forward, hearing about older anime on BD being relicensed like the recent Lodoss and Angel's Egg releases.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group