• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Reveals What Fans' Top Ranking Gundam Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Funny that Turn A wasn't on that list. And of course the Gundam-G Fighters is not on that list either. But it's interesting that Char's Counterattack is still a strong choice after all these years. And of course the first Gundam that brings all those fond memories of the 80's when the series started.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure Char's Counterattack deserves to be #1. Now don't get me wrong it's good but it's ending is so stupid that really makes it hard to be #1.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The list works for me, though I can't imagine ranking any CE era Gundam anywhere on a favorites list and CCA as #1 seems a tad high, though I do enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
0080 isn't on the list? I don't even

That's like the only Gundam show that isn't insistent on sticking its head up its own butt.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid and dislike carrots.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
F91 actually made it to the top 10? Wow, that movie was rushed to hell. It's definitely one of the worse Gundams I've seen.

The big problem with F91 was that it was originally planned as a TV series, but eventually got demoted to be a movie, hence the rushed feeling.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I know Tomino has a love for Star Wars but why did he have to use The Imperial March theme for The Crossbone Vanguards. Argh It's hilarious and cheesy at the same time. I love F91 but man that theme really takes me out out of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdyOO01HFo
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The best part of CCA was that it wrapped up the Federation Vs. Zeon story the best way it could but that's undermined by the fact that they still made more OVAs and novels which just means that nothing was actually solved.

MSG is deserving of being one of anime's great classics, Gundam Seed is good, Zeta Gundam is fine, Gundam 00 is good as long as you are just talking about Season 1 because Season 2 was a total collapse in quality, Gundam Seed Destiny is bad, and Gundam 0083 is even worse.
wolfox10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Loved stardust memories and zeta. Little surprised that destiny got in the top 10 it was good but, halfway thought the series it kinda loss it's momentum.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I might be crazy because I didn't mind Destiny.... I mean it's kind of been a while since I watched it, but it certainly wasn't good enough to warrant me rewatching to see if I'm crazy after all.

Didn't SEED overall do incredibly well in Japan though? Like really really well? I'm not surprised it's that high on the list at all. But.... is it just me or does it seem like there really weren't that many votes overall when considering how large Gundam fandom is...
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Didn't SEED overall do incredibly well in Japan though? Like really really well?

SEED's one of the most popular and beloved series in the Gundam franchise.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I should make a list of my favorites because the Gundam fanbase is made up of people who easily get butt-hurt and are ready to start WWIII.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
We're all forgetting one thing: The fact that the Japanese love SEED is one of those weird mysteries that no one will ever be able to explain. Likewise, the fact that so many non-Japanese love 0080: War in the Pocket is also an unsolvable mystery beyond comprehension.

While Wing is "'Murica's first Gundam", it definitely does not hold up well rewatching it; it looks great, but the story gets cringe-worthy at times. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's not as "awesome" as it was while we were watching it on Toonami.

angelmcazares wrote:
I have watched at least a dozen Gundam works in their entirety. My top 5 are:

1. Gundam Z - very complete story with complexities
2. 0083 - not a great story an characters but amazing animation
3. Turn A - a different vibe with great execution
4. 08th MS Team - love the Earth setting
5. Unicorn - great homage to the Gundam franchise

My top 5 are:
1. The 08th MS Team - Note: The BDs look beautiful
2. Mobile Suit Gundam (series)
3. Char's Counterattack
4. After War Gundam X
5. Zeta Gundam

the-antihero wrote:
I don't know if I should make a list of my favorites because the Gundam fanbase is made up of people who easily get butt-hurt and are ready to start WWIII.

I listed The 08th MS Team as my favorite, and I've never seen people call something garbage as quickly as it . . . except maybe SEED Destiny. Do not fear
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

the-antihero wrote:

I listed The 08th MS Team as my favorite, and I've never seen people call something garbage as quickly as it . . . except maybe SEED Destiny. Do not fear

I'm just gonna list what I didn't like

- G
- MS IGLOO
- 00 Movie
- Build Fighters
- 0080: War in the Pocket.
- SD, although that should go without saying.
- All movie compilations, they're merely copy-paste productions, sadly Memory of Eden did the same in the 2nd half but the first half was well-done.

X is underrated, severely.

Last edited by the-antihero on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
American fans being able to vote would just skew the poll poorly. Most would just vote for Wing because it's all most people in America watched on TV when they were kids. Most American fans haven't seen more than the ones that aired on American TV so their opinion is pretty limited.

G Gundam is the only entry in the franchise you need to watch.

It's almost like most everyone in the comments didn't bother to follow the link to the full result...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3