Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan Manga Reaches 40 Million Copies




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
congrats. Can it get to 50 million by years end? or just a little after?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12549
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
congrats. Can it get to 50 million by years end? or just a little after?


With this series' popularity, I'd say it could but that would mean that 10 million more copies would have to be sold in a little over 4 months which is a spectacle to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr_42



Joined: 13 Jan 2014
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
KH91 wrote:
congrats. Can it get to 50 million by years end? or just a little after?


With this series' popularity, I'd say it could but that would mean that 10 million more copies would have to be sold in a little over 4 months which is a spectacle to do.


Thing is I'm starting to feel like the AoT hype is starting to die down. There seem to be fewer comments and discussions, overt reviews etc. It's not so much a fact as it is a general feeling.

I do think that the manga will continue to sell well, no doubts there but I think the pace will slow until the next season of the anime begins as the manga itself is significantly less impressive compared to the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
to get to 50 millions by the end of the year, AoT needs to sell alot of old vols in 5 months. Assume the new vol will sell 2.7 to 2.9M, that's about the average for it. They would still need to sell 500k X 14(old vols) = 7M.
Maybe the sale/vol can beat OP and Dragon Ball. Who know.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-05-01/top-20-most-popular-manga-ranked-by-publication-numbers

I don't know how many were sold and how many vol of one piece at that time, i would assume that's well over 3.5 M per vol.

Both Slam Dunk and Dragon Ball Average over 3.7 M per vol in japan, but Dragon Ball average over 5m per vol worldwide.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Admiral Pizzaman



Joined: 08 Apr 2014
Posts: 492
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
Congrats!! You did a good job...again. Hajime Isayama. Who knows if it will surpass One Piece and Dragonball Z.

It's still unknown if it has enough chapters to cover a second season and unless they adapt it at least the next year, There's a risk that its popularity may start to die out as Mr_42 states.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigivel



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 536
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Congrats!! You did a good job...again. Hajime Isayama. Who knows if it will surpass One Piece and Dragonball Z.

It's still unknown if it has enough chapters to cover a second season and unless they adapt it at least the next year, There's a risk that its popularity may start to die out as Mr_42 states.


So are you expecting that Attack on Titan Sells more than 112 Million or more than 260 Million copies? Really? The series will not prolong that much further either(at least if the author keeps his ~20 volumes estimation).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr_42



Joined: 13 Jan 2014
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
It's still unknown if it has enough chapters to cover a second season and unless they adapt it at least the next year, There's a risk that its popularity may start to die out as Mr_42 states.


I think the only weakness that Attack On Titan has in terms of marketability is the manga.

According to Isayama the ending is already planned out, he even changed it to better suit fan desires, so the end is very clearly insight. Unlike Oda's One Piece universe which could expand almost infinitely given the travelling nature of the series, AoT is a very static setting and therefore cannot move much outside its immediate setting (the scouting leigon's excursions). Any attempt to drag the story out just to sell more copies would damage the actual story being told.

Also it is worth considering that AoT had been publishing volumes for nearly 4 years before the anime aired and it had never gained this kind of acclaim. The award Isayama won for the the manga was also presented AFTER the anime went on air. This suggests that, as a manga, the series is kinda unremarkable and I think it only natural that the popularity of the series will wane if there is only the anime to keep interest going.

It may seem harsh but given AoT's sudden rise after anime release it would be a logical assumption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Admiral Pizzaman



Joined: 08 Apr 2014
Posts: 492
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
@bigivel: Well, uhm....I'm just expressing what I thought regarding the sales. Certainly, no one knows the outcome in the future whether it will sell more or not.

What? Is it wrong to think being a bit too optimistc.

@Mr_42: What you say is true. To be frank, I have never seen or heard a manga named Attack on Titan until late 2013 when its anime adaption is aired. Later, I checked its manga after finished airing and given the situation, I kinda more or less understood why it was not well known. I might be wrong.

Ĺastly, I believe the mangaka is better off to end the series in the original way instead of all of sudden changing it just because of strong popularity, as opposed to One Piece whom he decided its ending right from the start of the series and still sticking to this day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#Zero



Joined: 27 Jan 2014
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mr_42"]
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:


Also it is worth considering that AoT had been publishing volumes for nearly 4 years before the anime aired and it had never gained this kind of acclaim. The award Isayama won for the the manga was also presented AFTER the anime went on air. This suggests that, as a manga, the series is kinda unremarkable and I think it only natural that the popularity of the series will wane if there is only the anime to keep interest going.

It may seem harsh but given AoT's sudden rise after anime release it would be a logical assumption.


No, AOT was well known and praised before the announcement of an anime adaption, that's why it was so hyped. The adaptation made it more popular but the sales were good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grooven



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 1337
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
@bigivel
Ĺastly, I believe the mangaka is better off to end the series in the original way instead of all of sudden changing it just because of strong popularity, as opposed to One Piece whom he decided its ending right from the start of the series and still sticking to this day.
One Piece needs to end already. Actually I heard he'd wanted to end it earlier, as of now he is milking it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
@bigivel
Ĺastly, I believe the mangaka is better off to end the series in the original way instead of all of sudden changing it just because of strong popularity, as opposed to One Piece whom he decided its ending right from the start of the series and still sticking to this day.
One Piece needs to end already. Actually I heard he'd wanted to end it earlier, as of now he is milking it.


where do you heard that. I only read an interview few year's ago, he said One Piece was only half way, Grand Line is the second half.

People can end a series whenever they want, if you don't like it don't buy it. Just like JoJo, Hajime no Ippo, they have tons of vol. People don't buy those manga as much as before anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zaddit



Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
@bigivel
Ĺastly, I believe the mangaka is better off to end the series in the original way instead of all of sudden changing it just because of strong popularity, as opposed to One Piece whom he decided its ending right from the start of the series and still sticking to this day.
One Piece needs to end already. Actually I heard he'd wanted to end it earlier, as of now he is milking it.



Sources because the Author has said for quite a while that he enjoys doing it and plus how is it milking when the story hasn't even fully developed yet? It is nowhere near the end. which is gaining the One Piece or atleast having a final battle with one of the greatest pirates. With things like Bleach, Kubo just kept adding random villains which was unnecessary but with one Piece its essential to the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12549
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that when a series is serialized for 13+ years. that's when it can be milked and feel like it should've just ended sooner.

For milkin, Golgo 13 has been irregularly serialized since the late 60s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group