• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Goku, Gohan Voice Actress Plays 8 Characters in Eagle Talon Anime Extra

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Haha, Sugita is funny as ever.

KAMEHAMEHA!
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's one more thing to keep away from.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame, she is a decent voice actress, she is just horrible at voicing boys.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to meet her at Animazement last year. Such a nice person, and she can still rock the Goku voice like there's no tomorrow. I'm still pretty shocked that people think she's terrible in that role or anything like that, as I actually prefer her to Schemmel, even though he's very good in his own right.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I was lucky enough to meet her at Animazement last year. Such a nice person, and she can still rock the Goku voice like there's no tomorrow. I'm still pretty shocked that people think she's terrible in that role or anything like that, as I actually prefer her to Schemmel, even though he's very good in his own right.

Macho man sounds like woman and you're shocked that many people cant digest that? It's not even artsy, it's just fudging weird.

Besides, it's not just Goku, as horrendous as that is for her (or any woman to play adult male roles), that voice she gave him, which I heard on Igano Kabamaru (titular character's child voice) before I saw DBZ in Japanese, made me cringe and skip those moments whenever I rewatched it.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
The level of hate Nozawa-sensei gets from Americans is astounding. ASTOUNDING. Yeah, this is wonderful, trashing a Japanese national treasure---who is a phenomenal actress---just because you couldn't be bothered to watch Dragon Ball from the beginning, in Japanese, then go on to Z and do the same. I did that, and *got* Nozawa's portrayal, and Goku's character (which is, in Z, a muscular man-child).
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Just because Son Goku does not sound that manly in Japanese is not a good reason to dislike her voice. I understand why people dislike Goku's original voice and I can deal with it, but people have to admit that she is able to do distinguish voices depending on the character or mood. Several SSJ forms of Goku or Gohan sound different, and even Goku, Teen/Adult Gohan, Bardock and Tarles sound different. She's good in what she does.

I also like her Dukemon voice.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Just because Son Goku does not sound that manly in Japanese is not a good reason to dislike her voice. I understand why people dislike Goku's original voice and I can deal with it, but people have to admit that she is able to do distinguish voices depending on the character or mood. Several SSJ forms of Goku or Gohan sound different, and even Goku, Teen/Adult Gohan, Bardock and Tarles sound different. She's good in what she does.

I also like her Dukemon voice.

As much as I love original voices and hate dubs, (english dubs) we have to be honest, if there is one anime I can say that has bad japanese voices is dragon ball Z, Goku in particular is just bad. The voices did not fit the characters well.

And if there is one anime I can say has FAR SUPERIOR dub than its original japanese one is Dragon ball Z, the perfect voices and dub for the entire set of characters can be found in the LATINAMERICAN SPANISH DUB, its perfect, Goku sounds infinitely better, both when he is serious and when is not, and all other voices fit the characters and their personalities juts perfect.

Notice how I just mention the voices are bad not that the seiyuus are bad.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Nozawa made the voice her own just like Schemmel eventually made the voice his own. It's fruitless to complain about which voice of Goku is better since at the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference which is neither better nor worse than the other's preference.

Now can we please drop all this silly complaining? I thought this discussion was more about Eagle Talon and/or about Nozawa's storied career as an actress, to whom I have great respect for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1