• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nisekoi Manga Gets 2nd TV Anime Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
#819578 wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Animelover12313 wrote:
yeah... SHAFT with their "green-lit" I'll just sit here and wait for Kizumonogatari........ How long has it been already? 4 years?

I know, right? So frustrating.

SHAFT are dragging their heels on Kizumonogatari to the point where it has been epically delayed, yet they continue to make silly television series like this. Nisekoi is a very typical and straightforward harem show, does it really need the head-tilt treatment?

To be fair they have given us a big chunk of monogatari with the 2nd season + Nekomonogatari Black and Hanamonogatari which all up added to another 33 episodes, giving total episode count of 59 episodes. But yeah, SHAFT doing a straight harem seems a waste.

And to be fair, both Nisekoi and the NiseO(or however you spell it) are both equally shit. Nisekoi has the most bland, pathetic characters with no story. NiseO series have "out-of-this-world" female characters who are just wank toys with a sub-par story to back it up.

In my opinion, both the series are horrible. Not to mention, why is SHAFT such a good studio? Their anime is just plain dumb. Yes people I can read, and I get the Japaneses references to their culture/history so don't even try.

Fanboyism, lack of imagination, and unwillingness to try more than jut the most bleeding edge hyped up anime is the one reason I can come up with as to why so many people think SHAFT anime are utter genius. The fact that you have some guy in this thread claiming that Monogatari has more character development than all other anime combined and how other anime are just generic next to it shows how much people know what they're talking about and claiming and where their mindset is at.

To me the whole SHAFT Style appeals to a very specific mindset and that's the attitude of the kind of fan that wants to feel they are watching something experimental, deep, clever, thought provoking and unique that they can then use to lord their tastes over others without actually having to watch something about material and subject that's off the beaten path in terms of otaku tropes that they're familiar with and can comprehend easily. To achieve this appeal they take harem material like Nisekoi and Monogatari and try to dress it up a whole lot with wacky camera angles, cryptic/bizarre imagery and dialogue delivery that's used for scenes that are actually very simplistic in everything other than how they're portrayed, and then keep everything else minimalist so as to invoke an artsy feel.

At the end of the day though the general simplicity of it all and the fact that they still largely target the typical otaku audiences and their sensibilities and needs comes through at least to me and makes their shows save perhaps Madoka Magica nothing special in the long run. All the fanservice wanking in their shows doesn't really help either nor the directors admitted attitude of really just wanting to make money and keep costs down on their productions, taking an approach more like a businessman as opposed to the artiste people seem to think he is.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Animelover12313 wrote:
yeah... SHAFT with their "green-lit" I'll just sit here and wait for Kizumonogatari........ How long has it been already? 4 years?

I know, right? So frustrating.

SHAFT are dragging their heels on Kizumonogatari to the point where it has been epically delayed, yet they continue to make silly television series like this. Nisekoi is a very typical and straightforward harem show, does it really need the head-tilt treatment?

That would imply it was shafts choice to animate another season of Nisekoi, which is not correct.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
^
Ah, it is correct.

SHAFT is a private for-hire company, it doesn't have to work on Nisekoi. It could instead be finishing Kizumonogatari which - when released - will be far more popular and profitable.
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
What a *shock*

No, seriously, saw this coming. xD

I see people are still upsit about SHAFT. =o
I was too, but I got over it. Not like we can do anything about it anyways. lmao.

I honestly got tired of the 'filler' ness of the manga, so not really looking forward to season 2.
I want it to end soon tbh. :3
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
F*CK I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Quote:
Nisekoi is a very typical and straightforward harem show

It is a lot classier than many harem series. There really is not a lot of fanservice, no ridiculous body proportions, no tentacle rape, no fetishes of any kind, really, no panty shots, no lesbians, no "I'm gonna attempt to rape you", and is able to use comedy in a more tasteful way. When it is from the girls' points of view, it almost comes across as 'shoujo-like'. And it's not like an anime-watcher only would know this but I'm well into chapter 100 of the manga and spoiler[The story that links all the cast together is actually well-thought out and somewhat interesting.]

It CAN be frustrating because there are a lot of secrets and you want to know them badly but Naoshi Komi still makes the "filler" so entertaining that if he wanted to go on for 500 chapters, that would be just fine with me.

tl;dr: Nisekoi is a very fun, clean, light-hearted romantic comedy that both guys and girls find enjoyable because nobody feels alienated by its content.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
tl;dr: Nisekoi is a very fun, clean, light-hearted romantic comedy that both guys and girls find enjoyable because nobody feels alienated by its content.

Well, nobody but me apparently. I don't like unfunny humour, stupid characters or boring premises. Guess I'm one in seven-point-two billion.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Are they going to adapt the storylines in which it rips off The Prince And The Pauper, and the one in which they introduce a narcotic whose cure is - I kid you not - another person's kiss?

I hope they do. Any industry can always use more stark examples of a series going off the rails in such graphic detail.[/u][/b]

That's not going off the rails, that's spinning its wheels. Which Komi seems willing to do as long as the volumes keep selling in the hundreds of thousands. And I think he realizes he's doing it, given the latter making a joke about it being yet another "Claude's shady new drug" story. If nothing else, Nisekoi's self-aware.

I mean, I'd rather have a dozen volumes of Double Arts, no question, but you gotta pay the bills.

Though I'm at a loss to explain why SHAFT is bothering with another season. Or Aniplex, whichever. Did the first volume of the first season even break 6,000 between BD and DVD? I don't know if that's even enough to turn a profit for a SHAFT series, while we're talking about paying bills.

(I forget, does the animation studio get paid a flat amount per episode? Or do they get a percentage of revenue?)
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
^I don't recall the final sales numbers for the home video volumes, but I recall it did have a significant increase in sales of the manga volumes, which can often be enough for the publishers to greenlight another season.

As for SHAFT working on the series, as I understand it Shinbo is a fan of the manga and Komi Naoshi seems friendly with the studio since he's even done an end card or two for their other series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, nobody but me apparently. I don't like unfunny humour, stupid characters or boring premises. Guess I'm one in seven-point-two billion.

The only stupid thing in Nisekoi was Onodera's asymmetrical hairstyle. :p

Also, dtm, no offense but since you hated Toradora! as well....maybe romantic comedies aren't your thing...or maybe you are just really hard to please...idk.
I do know that most times when you go "That anime sucks", I'm not inclined to trust you on that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
ss4chris wrote:
I hope when season 2 starts the manga is finished or close to finishing..

I'm with you on that. Purely for the selfish reason of wanting to see the end of the series animated. I'm not far into the manga (only volume 4) compared to some others, but I don't want a series like this to be dragged out too much longer than it is. It's up to volume 13 in Japan.

And, as someone else mentioned, it would've been nice to have seen Double Arts get the sort of success Nisekoi has. I say this only because that world seemed to be one where exploration with a longer series would've been great.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Also, dtm, no offense but since you hated Toradora! as well....maybe romantic comedies aren't your thing...or maybe you are just really hard to please...idk.

Oh, romantic comedies are very much my thing. It's just that Sturgeon's Law means that good romcoms are rare.

Chiibi wrote:
I do know that most times when you go "That anime sucks", I'm not inclined to trust you on that.

Whether you trust me or not about something doesn't change its quality (or the lack thereof).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Whether you trust me or not about something doesn't change its quality (or the lack thereof).

I mean I don't trust your opinion of what a high quality or low quality show is. Rolling Eyes

It IS an opinion, afterall. Do not act like your opinion is a concrete fact, please. Quality is subjective.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quality is subjective.

It demonstrably is not. If it were, Gundoh Musashi would be just as good as Mushi-shi, and Garzey's Wing would be just as good as Spirited Away. Surely you're not claiming something so ludicrous, right?
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Is a good new, i kinda like the first season and the manga even if is full of clichè, well clichè or not it was fun so this don't matter. Smile
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42- but what qualities are you judging them by. A show can have poor production values and still be great. The examples you used where extremes. There are plenty of shows that are very divisive. For instance, I think studio Shaft is brilliant. Clearly there are people in this very forum who disagree. Neither of us has to be wrong. But then we've been around and around on this issue before, so I don't know why I am bothering typing this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5