• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball to Launch Sequel Manga in December

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
Ooh interesting. Since this is a sequel, I wonder if there will be a time skip? Looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
Expected.

He should have ended it for good, the more he clings to Kuroko the most likely that he will be unable to make another hit anytime soon or ever.

This guy got the Konomi disease, they cling to just one manga in fear to start again from scratch and fail.

I have a lot of respect for natural prodigies like Arakawa, Adachi-sensei, Rumiko Takahashi that have all the talent to make great story after great story and are not afraid to end a super hit and move on and actually succeed time and time again.

Liked Kuroko but he should have ended the story for good and move on, what are we going to see now? I can picture it like a carbon copy of The Prince of Tennis 2.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Unless Kuroko ceases to be the main character for some reason (many fans would half-jokingly say the title should change to Kagami's Basketball) or there's an extremely drastic overturn of the plot, I see no point in ending the manga so suddenly (and so shittily too) and when it was at the peak of its popularity, letting the fandom in the cold for three months. Especially at a moment in which Haikyuu is rising so wildly in popularity. Heck, most of us took that crappy ending as Fujimaki's way of saying "I don't give a rat's ass about this story or these characters anymore". It's almost as if Fujimaki handed the "hottest sports manga" title to Furudate on a silver platter.

I'll wait for the actual chapter to be out to make judgment, but I'm just seeing some poor and unnecessary publicity stunt. I mean, isn't Next the magazine for Jump to make test-runs for potential hits? Kuroko was already a massive hit, I'm completely failing to see what's the big idea with the fake ending and sequel. If it was going to be a time-skip they could've simply taken a x-week hiatus like most other WSJ manga do when they do their time-skip stuff.

Of course, if anyone's seeing any logic on this move by WSJ or Fujimaki, do explain, I'm totally confused and have no clue of what they were going for.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm... Well, not that I'm an avid fan but I just hope they won't do something like making Kuroko or Taiga drafted to the NBA Anime hyper
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
He is pulling the same BS Konomi pulled off with the prince of Tennis, this guy must have been under lots of pressure after what happened last year, and probably needed a brake, and at the same time thought it was good to "end" Kuroko to "clear" any bad vibes and continue with renewed confidence.

I dont see a point in more Kuroko other than clinging to its success and profits, just like I felt with The prince of tennis, both mangakas burned all their interesting cards with their high school tournaments.

This guys should have emulated another senpai: Inoue, not Konomi.

Saku-dono wrote:
Hmm... Well, not that I'm an avid fan but I just hope they won't do something like making Kuroko or Taiga drafted to the NBA Anime hyper

There a good chance it will happen.

If he wanted to continue the characters career over the years, you do it like MAJOR, with a more natural progression and development of abilities.

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Wojtini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
So it will be again in WSJ or what?
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Wojtini wrote:
So it will be again in WSJ or what?

It's being serialised in Jump NEXT! which comes out once every two months.

Hopefully this will be a relatively short series and the relatively sparse release schedule will allow Fujimaki time to plan and work on his next original work.
Wojtini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's being serialised in Jump NEXT! which comes out once every two months.

So it will have chapters with around 100 pages or what?! Since it was weekly manga in WSJ.
shi666san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
As long as they (Seirin) cuts down on the friendship speeches, I'm good. Fujimaki went overkill with those; they were told before the games, during the games, during the timeout, after the games, etc.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
It's those friendship speeches I like... (compared to Haikyuu)...

I'm happy, but not sure about the sequel at the same time. It ended pretty nicely for the manga... sure I'd love to see a sort of epilogue...but if it turns out to be like the 2nd season of Free! I'm hoping off the bandwagon...
mak123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't he say that he wanted to create a golf manga?
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
Not really surprised, but sort of surprised. Most manga in WSJ seem to end properly and then if they are Dragon Ball lucky get some games, movies and otherwise minor additions which further ruin the legacy short of a few good adaptations. Guess I may as I well get in line for Naruto's sequel, even if Kishimoto seems like he could create a more interesting sports or mafia story.

I can see they have a lifeline at least in Japan, which is pretty much always going to have a dedicated fanbase and running anime to spawn more merchandise. The likes of Bleach, Gintama, Toriko and such seem to be bring in the money but they don't have too much merchandise now. While Assassination Classroom, Saiki Kusuo, World Trigger, Nisekoi and Haikyuu are fairly young even if a number of them do have anime projects and they have been running quite well for a while.

Yes, I know One Piece exists, but more than one is good. Hunter x Hunter would have this spot if it actually

CrowLia wrote:

Of course, if anyone's seeing any logic on this move by WSJ or Fujimaki, do explain, I'm totally confused and have no clue of what they were going for.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to increase the sales of the Jump NEXT publication, so it being in another magazine could benefit them in that sense. It also has the strength of giving him more time to work (not sure if he requested this - but it is possible) and making sure that Kuroko's sequel manga runs close to a major announcement about Kuroko's third anime season ends.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

A time skip like that could be fascinating if done correctly.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Unless Kuroko ceases to be the main character for some reason (many fans would half-jokingly say the title should change to Kagami's Basketball) or there's an extremely drastic overturn of the plot, I see no point in ending the manga so suddenly (and so shittily too) and when it was at the peak of its popularity, letting the fandom in the cold for three months. Especially at a moment in which Haikyuu is rising so wildly in popularity. Heck, most of us took that crappy ending as Fujimaki's way of saying "I don't give a rat's ass about this story or these characters anymore". It's almost as if Fujimaki handed the "hottest sports manga" title to Furudate on a silver platter.

I'll wait for the actual chapter to be out to make judgment, but I'm just seeing some poor and unnecessary publicity stunt. I mean, isn't Next the magazine for Jump to make test-runs for potential hits? Kuroko was already a massive hit, I'm completely failing to see what's the big idea with the fake ending and sequel. If it was going to be a time-skip they could've simply taken a x-week hiatus like most other WSJ manga do when they do their time-skip stuff.

For some time that Shonen Jump Next is turning into an autonomous independent magazine and not just a special edition of Weekly Shonen Jump.
A lot of titles and artists are going to Shonen Jump Next and not just to make the last chapters of a series from Weekly Shonen Jump nor for only an one-shot.
Right not the magazine has Beelzebub, Soul Catcher(s) and Mamono Kanteishi Babiro(Manga by the creator of the famous manga Muhyo & Roji and the recent manga Hachi).

The Magazine is right now constantly looking for new titles and so it makes sense to send a popular title like Kuroko no Basket there. Also is good for the mangaka, because he isn't in a weekly schedule but a Bi-Monthly and so not only he has more time to do things but also each chapter will be bigger and more complete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2