• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yu3lora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Hayami Saori FTW! Awesome episode. Laughing
ZeroSol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Do people get a Shuffle vibe from this show?
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I do understand the problems of this episode, however, I believe the reviewer's expectations may have been a tad bit too high. I personally didn't believe Katoko's and Jurai's problem was going to be the main focus of this ep, at least.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the resolution here was strikingly similar to the incident with Mirei and Jurai in episode two. Rather than linger on the misunderstandings and romance drama and tease a conflict they just had everyone talk it out and resolve it. I was actually surprised (and impressed) that Tomoyo admitted her whole Light Novel aspirations to clear that out. There's still pending issues between all the girls having feelings for Andou, but not a bad way to force it back to stasis. I think it's also interesting to get the little bit of insight into how the "other team" leader views our leads.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
While I agree that perhaps there was a wasted opportunity to do something interesting with what happened last time, I also pretty much expected it to fizzle out. Honestly, it already kind of fizzled out last episode. After the rush of emotions, there's really nothing for these people (people, not characters) to do but casually drift back towards the status quo. That's what kept them together so long in the first place after all: their unspoken acceptance of each other. Now that it's spoken, there's even less of a problem.

They can talk out the issue in detail out later, without charged feelings behind it. Unfortunately, we probably won't hear that conversation though.
BusterKingSyros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
I honestly liked this episode, the revelation that there is much more going on behind the scenes was very interesting to me. I especially liked the tie ins to the previous episodes. I honestly didn't expect much to come of the Hatoko/Ando situation, it is a harem anime after all, the series might end with out resolving any romantic plots at all. I feel like the show is going to kick into over drive now, which will be a big departure from the first half of the series. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel, I loved the character driven plot of the first half, but the second half promises to be an exciting ride. I guess I'll just have to keep watching to find out.

AndoxTomoyo
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't actually think that this show would be able to resolve that argument between Hatoko and Jurai probably. That scene was one of my favorite scenes all season, but this show has just been pretty good at best, and based on the preview from last week, I just didn't see it happening, which makes me really sad, considering that I thought that it was an excellent decision for this show to make.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
For whatever reason, the conflict gets completely swept under the rug while a sideshow act tries to distract the audience with a deluge of genre tropes.

I had been sort of wondering about that as well, although I don't think they completely swept it under the rug. After Hatoko gets magically transported back to the club room she and Jurai go through a series of rather annoying apologies. After that it is dropped without decent resolution and we are left that it will be brought up later somehow.

What is also curious is the relationship between Jurai and Hajime. They're having coffee together when he takes that phone call and he pretends it's from his "boss."
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
Aw man, I been waitin all season for this show to ramp up, a complete waste of Trigger's talents otherwise.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
(About Ep. 9)
Chifuyu being "nervous" around Andou felt quite shoehorned, like they, Trigger, were one female character short from a 4-way battle-royale, so they coughed-up Chifuyu having the feelz. The other 3 heroines' plight(?) felt more natural.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(About Ep. 9)
Chifuyu being "nervous" around Andou felt quite shoehorned, like they, Trigger, were one female character short from a 4-way battle-royale, so they coughed-up Chifuyu having the feelz. The other 3 heroines' plight(?) felt more natural.

I disagree. It's obvious that Chifuyu has a thing for Andou as well. I remember a couple of eps ago (maybe ep 5 or 6) where Chifuyu told Andou to wait for her (6 years). The three onee-samas got together and rationalize it as her just wanting to be a cool Chuuni like Andou but I knew something was up. Specially since every time Andou is getting awfully close to any girl Chifuyu rushes in to break them up.

This Series keeps getting better. I knew Andou's power would be awesome the whole "don't do it again please" is basically telling us that maybe he goes through some sort of transformation and it affects his body. I really wish I could just read the Light Novels!

I think that it's setup perfectly for a final 2 episode showdown and it's going to be glorious having Hajime vs Andou!
BusterKingSyros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
I can admit when I am wrong, and apparently I was wrong when I tried to group this anime in with other harems. This show appears to honestly want to look at repercussions of love and friendship. While these shows can be some of the hardest to get through, heart break is never easy, they are also infinitely more rewarding then the fluff harem anime that struggle to maintain the status quo. Anyways the real battle starts now, choose a side and root your favorite heroin to victory.

AndoxHatako

I know I changed teams but I have respect for a woman who can be upfront and honest about her feelings.

GO GO Hatoko!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
BusterKingSyros wrote:
I can admit when I am wrong, and apparently I was wrong when I tried to group this anime in with other harems. This show appears to honestly want to look at repercussions of love and friendship.

It is still a harem anime. Maybe better maybe worse but it is still very typical and I just don't see it breaking any new ground.

This male MC is definitely better than average in that he isn't afflicted with the more tiresome behaviors of that trope. But he still hits the hard requirement of being mostly clueless about the girls feelings up until they confess and perhaps beyond. We have one girl who knows her mind, one girl too young to know what she is feeling (clumsily handled in this anime) and two that vehemently deny they have any feelings when in fact they obviously do. Oh-- and I forgot the class prez back when who fills the fruitcake role.

If that was all this anime had to offer then I would be tempted to stop now -- just get someone to send me by e-mail what the ending was. Which one if any he picked. Or if they went for the Shuffle ending with all of them.

However here they have this fairy war business and that might make things more interesting. I'll watch to see if they do. But that still doesn't make this not a harem anime.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY like the "guy in the girls bathroom" that I will now consider a stand-in for all the people who rail about how "cliched" the harem shows are. I'm not saying this one is ground-breaking or won't otherwise be disappointing for people. But I found it great when he steps forward and says he's going to help SOLELY because he thinks it'll be entertaining and "different".

(Also, I love Hatoko, but I REALLY wish that Mirei (the class president) got a LOT more screen-time in this show, if they traded her for Chifuyu it'd be a MASSIVE upgrade to me, but gotta keep the loli-fans happy I guess)

Regarding Andou's power: I assumed that they were all "joking" with him. I DO think his power is more impressive than we've been lead to believe, if only because of the OP, but I don't think anything has really happened from it yet. Heck, when I was first watching that scene I thought it was Andou reading Tomoyo's story. But I guess we'll see....
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm A-OK with a harmless chapter every now and then. I think we've all grown attached to the characters one way or another, so watching an episode where they are put in goofy situations, without advancing the plot, is also pretty entertaining.

Plus I love Chifuyu. Not saying that I pair him with Andou (Andou x Hatoko is my choice), but a Chifuyu chapter (half-chapter) is still good for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5