• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
I was amused to see Kill la Kill's Mako Makonshoku swim past in the background. It makes me wonder how many things like that I've missed.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Mankanshoku Maki's cameo was a nice touch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
I did a double-take at Mako's cameo. I was shocked at first that they would do that, but then I remembered that this is also a Trigger show so it makes sense.

Is she the first Kill la Kill character to make a cameo?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was amused to see Kill la Kill's Mako Makonshoku swim past in the background. It makes me wonder how many things like that I've missed.

Laughing Of course, that's who it was. I noticed the head and I had the sense it wasn't meant just to be a random face but I didn't make the connection.
TUSF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice how she appears right after the very huge, muscular dark guy appeared?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Anyone else notice how she appears right
after the very huge, muscular dark guy appeared?

Good catch you guys. I totally missed it since I assumed that was just a generic background character.

The absence of loli fan service was appreciated; what little story there was worked much better without it.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that Ikari Shinji and Gendo appeared during the quizz?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about the next episode, almost entirely because I LOVE the Mirei character and feel that she has been BADLY underutilized, so I'm glad she gets some screentime again.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
It was painful to watch Hatoko try so hard, but it fit in with the way the show has given each girl a chance to try to win Jurai's love and be let down gently individually. I was a little confused by her reaction at his declaration that she would always be a "special friend" to him. He should have said "like a sister," just to make it crystal clear (although in anime, "like a sister" may not mean what it's supposed to! Razz). Hatoko's a smart girl, but I wish the show would highlight some of her disappointment so that the audience is sure she gets the message.

Tomoyo & Jurai's "date" was so good, it actually had me on pins and needles because I was convinced *Jurai* would confess to Tomoyo! Too bad he didn't. The chemistry between them is palpable, and I'm rooting for 'em!

As for next week, I'm not sure how they can avoid it being a convoluted mess of poorly thought out magical battles, but I hope it'll be amusing (and maybe even comprehensible!) nontheless!
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked the ending. It was a good battle, Andou had a good heroic moment, and everything ended on a nice note. For me, it was a good show overall.

I shouldn't let the opinion of others bother me, however, my main problem with my watching experience is still the strange expectations people had with this show. Even with Hatoko's rant, I never, ever, saw any hint of a social commentary, or anything of the sort. Sure, something can be pulled out from it, but until I saw it mentioned in a couple of reviews, I never thought that Trigger or the author had the intention of saying something particularily deep about the problem between Hatoko and Andou.

And for that, this show didn't fall short on those ideas on my side. Because I never saw them as super important, like many others did.

So yeah, I'm satisfied. I enjoyed it. And I hope there is some sort of 2n season in the future.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
My ONLY real disappointment with this show is the GLARING lack of Mirei. Made all the more apparent by her work in the final episode. I had to jump back and re-watch her faceoff with Andou over "Dark & Dark: the end" because of how hilarious it is.

spoiler["Mirei" trying to douse the flame (that actually burns) that won't go out and ranting about how stupid it is was AWESOME. I also have to give props to Andou for cleverly working up a counter-strategy for her power.]
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show, sure, but at the end I feel like I watched a 12-episode commercial for the light novels.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
I enjoyed the show, sure, but at the end I feel like I watched a 12-episode commercial for the light novels.

Well, you did.

Almost all anime based on ongoing light novels are, essentially, commercials for the light novels.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This show worked for me because Jurai was actually entertaining, interesting and had some depth. I could see how a girl or two (namely Hatoko and Tomoyo) could become infatuated with him. Not 6 girls, but that's how harems roll. The girls were pretty well rounded, too, and the humor brought some freshness to the stale harem antics.

My biggest problem with it was if the anime wasn't going to focus on the Fairy War thing at all, they shouldn't have wasted an entire ep on its silly, completely irrelevant chuunibyo trappings. We could have just been shown bits of the fairy stuff via a few scenes in different eps to get the point behind what led to the last episode's big battle. No need to spend a whole episode on it, it was just confusing. Also, they needed more fun superpowered battles between our main cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5