• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Nominated for APSA's Best Animated Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, now I'm really interested in checking out this film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
lol ... no.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Because nothing but Ghibli stuff is worthy of winning any awards like usual, right? Rolling Eyes *sigh*

Then again I haven't seen it, so it could be amazing for all I know, but the trend seems to be that all these award groups care about is what Disney pushes and that sometimes better films get swept under the rug.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Uh, Disney's not pushing Princess Kaguya at all, it's being distributed by GKids.

CORRECTION: If we're talking Australia, Princess Kaguya is being distributed down under by Madman, which still isn't Disney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the wait will be over in early December. I've already pre-ordered this from Amzn JP (English subtitles are included) かぐや姫の物語 (Blu-ray).

As for the others - Having seen "My Beautiful Girl Mari" South Korea's "The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow" is one I'm curious about now. And if I read that right, a collaboration from German and Australian artists in "Maya the Bee" is another I'd like to check out (just the movie though, seems there's a TV show as well).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Because nothing but Ghibli stuff is worthy of winning any awards like usual, right? Rolling Eyes *sigh*

Then again I haven't seen it, so it could be amazing for all I know, but the trend seems to be that all these award groups care about is what Disney pushes and that sometimes better films get swept under the rug.

Maybe it's because it's just a good film? No?

"the trend seems to be that all these award groups care about is what Disney pushes" That's why all of the films nominated have nothing to do with Disney, right? I resent that. In your attempt to go against the mainstream and be "different" you've also made a false accusation. Disney hasn't gave a crap about Ghibli in years. Anymore they can barely be bothered to do a simple release of each new movie. And by the way, Princess Kaguya is distributed by GKIDS. At least do some simple research before complaining about something.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Yes, the wait will be over in early December. I've already pre-ordered this from Amzn JP (English subtitles are included) かぐや姫の物語 (Blu-ray).

I've heard it even includes the English dub as well.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
^yes you're right, but I still always like to wait until I have an actual disc in my player before claiming anything else about it. Even though it's Amazon Japan it's still Amazon, and they're not known for having the most accurate product info for each and every item that they offer.

from the link:
Amazon Japan wrote:

Product Details
Directors: 高畑勲
Format: Color, Dolby, DTS Stereo, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: 日本語, 英語
Subtitles: 日本語, 英語
Region: All Regions
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Number of discs: 1
Studio:: ウォルト・ディズニー・ジャパン株式会社
DVD Release Date: 2014/12/03
Run Time: 137 minutes
Average Customer Review: (18 customer reviews)
ASIN: B00N2KU3F2
EAN: 4959241754820
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
And by the way, Princess Kaguya is distributed by GKIDS. At least do some simple research before complaining about something.

The APSA awards (which I wasn't familiar with until the article) are given out in Australia. Madman Entertainment is the relevant distributor for Princess Kaguya in that part of the world, not GKIDS, although the "not Disney" point still stands.

lem wrote:

from the link:
Amazon Japan wrote:

Product Details
Directors: 高畑勲
Format: Color, Dolby, DTS Stereo, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: 日本語, 英語
Subtitles: 日本語, 英語
Region: All Regions
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Number of discs: 1
Studio:: ウォルト・ディズニー・ジャパン株式会社
DVD Release Date: 2014/12/03
Run Time: 137 minutes
Average Customer Review: (18 customer reviews)
ASIN: B00N2KU3F2
EAN: 4959241754820

Oh, I see Disney is still distributing the new Ghibli films on video in Japan, although I doubt they have anything to do with submitting the film to the APSA awards ceremony in Australia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, I see Disney is still distributing the new Ghibli films on video in Japan...

Amzn JP has "ウォルト・ディズニー "(Walt Disney) at "Studio" credit which only makes me wonder how they determined that? According to Nausicaa.net and ANN though, the distributor in Japan for "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" is TOHO.

At any rate, can't wait to see this latest from Mr. Takahata.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Maybe it's because it's just a good film? No?

"the trend seems to be that all these award groups care about is what Disney pushes" That's why all of the films nominated have nothing to do with Disney, right? I resent that. In your attempt to go against the mainstream and be "different" you've also made a false accusation. Disney hasn't gave a crap about Ghibli in years. Anymore they can barely be bothered to do a simple release of each new movie. And by the way, Princess Kaguya is distributed by GKIDS. At least do some simple research before complaining about something.

I already acknowledged the fact I could be talking out of my butt in the second paragraph which you yourself quoted, but apparently didn't read just like I didn't do with with this article, and just assumed something which turned out to be incorrect. Like how I assumed this APSA was another pointless award show from the US which I don't care about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1