• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Shouting Into The (Icy) Wind

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Justin, your answers were just as informative as they always are, but now I realize how much you need to get this insane work done and get some proper rest for the holidays! Your attitude this week is a little... strong. Even for you. Especially for you. D:

Good luck with everything! And thanks for another week!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Justin, your answers were just as informative as they always are, but now I realize how much you need to get this insane work done and get some proper rest for the holidays! Your attitude this week is a little... strong. Even for you. Especially for you. D:

Good luck with everything! And thanks for another week!

I thought it was pretty funny.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
As the asker John in the article, I'm following Amagi Brilliant Park (haven't watched the final episode quite yet) and it irks me as well that it suffered the same fate as Hyouka (another KyoAni show I watched) when it comes to lack of legal avenues to watch a translated version of it.

There's also 2 other currently airing shows without official streams I'm currently following, Nanatsu no Taisai and Sanzoku no Musume Ronja, in addition to Jinsei which I just completed.

To infer from what Justin wrote in the article, there's a company or companies out there leaving money on the table as people like the undersigned are still following/followed all shows mentioned here...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I can't wrap my head around on the Sony Pictures Cyberattack, is how North Korea seems to legitimately believe Sony can actually erase all traces of the movie's existence, once again proving to the world that they (North Korea) don't live in our version of reality.

If you want people to avoid making unflattering comments or portrayals of your country, it's government,it's leaders, and it's human rights violations maybe just maybe you should stop going out of your way to keep showing the world just how horrible,ignorant, ass backwards,your country is.

North Korea seems to be a place where hubris thrives.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
As the asker John in the article, I'm following Amagi Brilliant Park (haven't watched the final episode quite yet) and it irks me as well that it suffered the same fate as Hyouka (another KyoAni show I watched) when it comes to lack of legal avenues to watch a translated version of it.

Crying or Very sad Every time I think about Hyouka I cry a little. I adore that show. I'm still crossing my fingers that it'll get licensed over here someday.
I need that in my collection very badly.

Blanchimont wrote:
There's also 2 other currently airing shows without official streams I'm currently following, Nanatsu no Taisai and Sanzoku no Musume Ronja, in addition to Jinsei which I just completed.

Seven Deadly Sins does have a streaming contract with Netflix, or so I've heard. I just checked the encyclopedia and it doesn't say anything, so maybe I'm wrong.
I'm really curious what Netflix is going to do with their "Netflix Original" anime shows as far as physical releases go. Or whether or not the home video rights are even with them.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Anything that does have a Netflix deal will likely come out a season later than Japan since Netflix likes to put things up in one lump (and ideally with a dub) - see Sidonia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I think I read somewhere that KyoAni doesn't like Internet streaming so much, so they'll opt-out at any chance available.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The only thing I can't wrap my head around on the Sony Pictures Cyberattack, is how North Korea seems to legitimately believe Sony can actually erase all traces of the movie's existence, once again proving to the world that they (North Korea) don't live in our version of reality.

If you want people to avoid making unflattering comments or portrayals of your country, it's government,it's leaders, and it's human rights violations maybe just maybe you should stop going out of your way to keep showing the world just how horrible,ignorant, ass backwards,your country is.North Korea seems to be a place where hubris thrives.

This whole thing reminded me of the opening scene from the first Naked Gun film. Look at how many people that mocked, and no one threw a fit over that.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a really really big fan of _______. The world's biggest fan! Are they going to make more? Will there be a second season?? PLEASE ANSWER ME BEFORE I START SELF CANNIBALIZING

I think it should be posted at the top of each page: "We don't know if it's going to get another season!
I'm not surprised that this question is received frequently. For some reason, even in the information age, people fail to find this kind of information. I mean, Wikipedia would usually have this answer.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

If you want people to avoid making unflattering comments or portrayals of your country, it's government,it's leaders, and it's human rights violations maybe just maybe you should stop going out of your way to keep showing the world just how horrible,ignorant, ass backwards,your country is.North Korea seems to be a place where hubris thrives.

This whole thing reminded me of the opening scene from the first Naked Gun film. Look at how many people that mocked, and no one threw a fit over that.

South Park Bigger, Longer, Uncut had a gay Saddam Hussein, who was brutally killed off in the film's climax, while their may have been a few hurt feelings over that. Iraq didn't take it to a petty extreme like NK.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the Seth Rogen stoner comedies (Neighbors not to much!) so it's amusing to see what might have only done decently become some huge international event that even Obama mentions in press conferences. It almost elevates the material of the film in a meta fashion, a stoner comedy being important enough to affect geopolitics, you couldn't imagine this shit happening outside of that kind of movie. But NorK's really inconsistent since they didn't throw a fit over Team America. Maybe they realized the obvious comedy and thought the Interview was serious, perhaps NorK doesn't have a strong sense of humor.

Quote:
This week I got it for Akame ga KILL!, Highschool of the Dead,
HotD is over. Haven't had a new chapter in almost two years, and it was two years before that we got a chapter that was focused on the original protagonists. It's safe to assume the manga is finished, which is what allows Inazuma to write and draw his own along with his doujinshi releases.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I still have no idea what the hell some Japanese production companies were thinking when they produced some shows a while back. They did stupid things like animating the opening credits at 29.97fps whilst animating the actual show at 23.976fps which necessitates a hard telecined interlaced encode.
Then I remember there was a particular season of Ikki Tousen which was the opposite where the intro was 23.976fps and the episodes were 29.97...
Just do everything at 23.976fps so we don't have to deal with interlaced crap dammit! :p
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This week Answerman was interesting and also funny at the same time. Laughing

The one question Corey asked is very interesting, and it's not only money why Japanese studio jumped on internet streaming, there's another reason why Japanese companies was reluctant to have their content stream over the internet: I read it that Japan is pretty slow on adapting new technologies which does include internet streaming, they seem to also fear the internet from what I've heard and read.

The third question from Jeremy is interesting and Justin response match what I've been observing out of Japan:

Answerman, you wrote:
  • 2. The contract has hit an impasse. Maybe all parties wanted to get a deal done, deal terms have been agreed to with a certain US distributor... but then there is some contractual thing that needs clearing, or some sticking point in negotiations. Depending on how busy everyone is (remember, in a production committee, everyone has to sign off on everything!) the smallest of contractual nit-picks can take months or years to clear. By that time, the window for simulcasting has long passed.

This is an example of why I hate red-tape and Japanese companies put too many regulation that shouldn't be there.

Answerman, you also wrote:
  • 4. The contract is signed, but some issue, be it music rights, an issue with the contract of one of the voice actors, or some other small detail is making it impossible for the licensor to deliver the final show to overseas markets, until the dispute is resolved.

That's my issue from what I heard, and I know this also effect J-dramas and Tokusatsu too.

Anyway, very interesting Answerman for this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

LOL, I'll admit while I was writing this I was pretty much dying from overwork and starting to lose my shit. Things have lightened up now. Wink
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Then you have Team America and Kim Jung Il didn't gawk at it but his tubby useless son is. Seriously Sony Pictures, there's nothing you can do to save yourself and the demands were met to keep innocents safe, just release the movie on DVD/BD or on torrents and own up to all the corporate tyranny and racism that NK exposed.

People act for reasons, and the link between reasons and actions is basically the same for everybody; people take different actions because they have of different priorities and knowledges, not because they think differently about the same things.

Which means: if someone takes a choice you wouldn't, then they've got different priorities or different knowledge. We know what Sony's priorities are, here [make money, not get killed], so that's not a problem; if there's a difference it has to be in the knowledge. Either you know things that Sony doesn't, or Sony knows things that you don't.

If you know things that sony doesn't, you _should_ be able to identify what it is: "what of my knowledge would I have to not have would make Sony's choices reasonable by my lights". Tricky, but doable. If OTOH it's Sony who has knowledge [or "knowledge"] you don't, you can't do this process ["what do I not know that I would have to know for these actions to make sense" isn't a tractable problem], and you'll likely be mystified.

So: in general if you don't understand why someone would do something then it's 'cause they know/"know" things you don't.

[we can sketch out some possibilities here. Sony's seen the film, which is a big difference, and gives them insight into how-to-say-this the benefit side of releasing the film now, stuff like "how much will it make in ticket sales to be worth the risk", knowledge that it'd be fair to say you don't have. And other more cynical possibilities.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3