• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Between the Lines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
One would think that wall would be better served with a large 56" HD TV, but at least he is able to display his library, most of mine is boxed up.

I really like the look of the mounted/hung shelves. But mine is also boxed up. Boxing may be the only solution for a large collection.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
I too watched every episode of Hiiro no Kakera. I thought that season 2 was a huge improvement over season 1 and I'm actually going to buy the BD-set because of it. I know, I know, I'm cracked in the head.

I also watched Hiiro no Kakera all the way through and thought S2 was much better than S1, story wise, though still flawed. Probably pretty good for the otome audience.

I would've liked a lot more romantic tension, and I felt preventing that is a certain cheesiness to the whole thing, especially with the main male protagonist. I swear every time Sugita talks even when it's totally serious, I can't help of think of Gintoki in Gintama and laugh.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
I can't answer for the person whose shelves were shown. But I can tell you why I frequently have art boxes with the spines in.

I started collection back when singles were in. If an art box was offered I usually bought it. Of course later most of those shows were reissued in season sets. I started running out of shelf space and realized I had a third of my collection in boxes. As a solution, I replaced most of the series I could with season sets, mostly on sale from TRSI. A lot of the singles I sold to FYI/Warehouse Music. They were not paying extra for the art boxes so I kept them. I did the same later when I gave stuff away. What I did with the art box was turn it spine in and use it to hold a series together that did not have a box. They also helped to act as book ends when the shelf was not full.

TLDR: The art box may not match the contents.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I used to display everything with the artbox spine in. I didn't like the look of having a shelf that had some DVD spines, some large color-blocked artbox spines. I preferred the uniformity of everything-DVD-spine-out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I used to display everything with the artbox spine in. I didn't like the look of having a shelf that had some DVD spines, some large color-blocked artbox spines. I preferred the uniformity of everything-DVD-spine-out.

That is why I do it, but I've been toying with the idea of switching it up. Ideally, I would have a nice box on most everything in my collection, but that wasn't always doable when I bought various shows, either because of lack of availability or my budget at the time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
@Bamboo
I got around that by putting the art boxed series in a single location. That way I have entire shelves of art boxes and shelves of just individual disks.

Currently art boxes and blocks of singles from the same series occupy the upper most and lowest shelves I have. The larger size makes them easy to spot if I'm looking for a show. The hard to see single disk packages are in the middle shelves where they are easiest to look at.

The shelves in the article are nice to look at hanging on the wall like that. For myself, I would be unwilling to give up the two additional shelves represented by the open space at top and bottom.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the complements! I've been lurking ANN for several years and finally decided to submit pictures and join the forum when I got the shelves done. When I got rid of my old rear projection tv I boxed them up. My discs spent a few years in several of those giant totes until I could settle on how I wanted to do it.

I'm enjoying the spine vs art box discussion so I'm tempted to leave it a mystery. I do it this way for ease of access. Also my old setup was next to the tv/player when I put a disc in I would put the case back but sticking out about an inch.

The shelves are just made with 1x6 project board and 1/4" luan stained dark walnut. It's really just a matter of cut to length and screw/nail together. Dvds are light so I just screwed the luan to studs in the wall. I may put some furring strips in there for extra support but my cat hasn't been able to bring them down yet.

The shelves are in my dining room. The TV is a 50" plasma in the living room. It's just a tv on a blank wall. I plan to surround it with shelves soon for my regular dvds and anime overflow.

I really enjoyed Genshiken so second season is going on the list and eventually the shelf Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
Thanks for the complements! I've been lurking ANN for several years and finally decided to submit pictures and join the forum when I got the shelves done. When I got rid of my old rear projection tv I boxed them up. My discs spent a few years in several of those giant totes until I could settle on how I wanted to do it.

I'm rather jealous. I'm currently looking for a more permanent place to live, so my collection currently sits in boxes, and I hate it. Throw in that I wasn't in a position to have nicer looking shelves until fairly recently, and I'm just really eager to properly display my collection. Honestly, I've been waiting years to get things to a point where I feel they are worthy of submitting. The collection itself is good, but a big pile of discs just doesn't look very appealing.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I'm rather jealous. I'm currently looking for a more permanent place to live, so my collection currently sits in boxes, and I hate it. Throw in that I wasn't in a position to have nicer looking shelves until fairly recently, and I'm just really eager to properly display my collection. Honestly, I've been waiting years to get things to a point where I feel they are worthy of submitting. The collection itself is good, but a big pile of discs just doesn't look very appealing.

I'm in a very similar boat. Part of my collection is in some boxes in the basement, while the rest of my collection is stacked on a dresser in my room since I lack proper shelves for any of it. And my dresser is getting exceedingly crowded because of it.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly where I was for about 3+ years. It's a real pain when you want to watch something you haven't seen in a while and have to sort through half a dozen boxes to find it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
I'm enjoying the spine vs art box discussion so I'm tempted to leave it a mystery. I do it this way for ease of access. Also my old setup was next to the tv/player when I put a disc in I would put the case back but sticking out about an inch.

That makes sense. I keep my spines facing out, but when I am watching a boxed series in my collection, I keep that particular set spine in and slightly pulled out so I can grab the disks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2