• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Musume Manga Gets TV Anime in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
randy1925 wrote:
Whats so popular about it? isnt just another harem anime?

It is a harem, but there is a lot more going on. The series' gimmick of fantastical, humanoid races being reintroduced into the world actually brings up a LOT of issues that happen in real life, such as cross-cultural exchange and interracial relationships. It helps that the series has some self-awareness and is aware of the absurdity of its genre and has fun with itself.

Now to guess who's going to play the characters.

Also, I doubt we needed to be aware of Centorea's nipples when she has her shirt on.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
There was this one other popular manga about a monster harem that didn't do so well as an anime…what was it again? Wink

Rosario + Vampire?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
There was this one other popular manga about a monster harem that didn't do so well as an anime…what was it again? Wink

Rosario + Vampire?

The first season did ok, the second season flopped hard because they deviated from the original manga, but because the whole show became a lame excuse to show panties, which angers me because the manga had some decent story and conflict that should have been into the second season *goes and puts some more needles into a voodoo doll with the label Gonzo, so that studio never raises from its ashes*

That is why it is very important who are the people doing the actualk anime adaption,
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Man i cringed when i saw that headline. The story line for it has barely gotten anywhere.

I like the manga, but it too dirty in many ways to have clean translation to animation. US censors would have field day with this one.

Its to mature in nature to be coming for general sale in intact.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
randy1925 wrote:

It is a harem, but there is a lot more going on. The series' gimmick of fantastical, humanoid races being reintroduced into the world actually brings up a LOT of issues that happen in real life, such as cross-cultural exchange and interracial relationships. It helps that the series has some self-awareness and is aware of the absurdity of its genre and has fun with itself.

Now to guess who's going to play the characters.

Also, I doubt we needed to be aware of Centorea's nipples when she has her shirt on.

That's what I enjoy about it. Unlike a lot of harems which have nothing but fanservice going for them; this one actually has more too it than that. It does have some eye-rolling moments, but it has a great sense of humor for the most part. Also helps that the lead isn't the usual spineless protagonist.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Wrong, monster girls and furries are two different things. This girls are not anthropomorphic of animals, they are half human (mostly from the waist up), half animal. Also, calling a dryad, a zombie, a cyclops or an ogre "furries" is dumb.

Right, there's nothing remotely furry-like about fantasizing about a centaur or a harpy. Sorry for getting them mixed up. Rolling Eyes
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
Monsters: they're real, and they want to date us!

I was going to leave it at that, but decided to at least read the rest of the summary. The above gif stands even after that. I honestly wish they would make anime about fantastic creatures that wasn't just a base ecchi harem with self-insert average Japanese teenager surrounded by magical boobs whose raison d'etre is chasing after his dick.

Saying they are after 'his dick' is exaggerating, if anything they are after his attention and love.

Last edited by Broly The Saiyan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
randy1925 wrote:

It is popular because it is a monster girl harem.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
randy1925 wrote:

The manga isn't hugely popular in Japan. It just seems to sell really well in America (relatively speaking) for some reason.

Actually the author sold one million copies of the manga, so I would say that it is pretty popular for a harem manga.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
saying they are after 'his dick' is exaggerating, if anything they are after his attention and love.

spoiler[Miia's kind of after his dick, but they were essentially in co-habitating relationship for a while before all of the others showed up. Of all of the pairings, they'd feel the least forced and most natural since they tend to have the best chemistry, and Miia's the most well adjusted to life in the human world. Hell, the only real options are Miia, Cerea, and maybe Rachnee if you're into BDSM. I just don't see Papi or Mero working out, and Suu is just sort of a side note along with Lala. I'm probably not alone in saying the harem aspect kind of gets in the way of seeing the relationships develop, and Crabman just keeps adding too many girls. It would have been preferable to see it done omnibus style, but no one has that kind of time or energy to devote a full manga to each girl.]

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

I like the manga, but it too dirty in many ways to have clean translation to animation. US censors would have field day with this one.

It's not likely to ever be shown on television in the United States so you needn't worry about it getting edited. Streaming and home video anime releases have handled similarly ecchi content without them being censored (beyond what was already censored in Japan).

Last edited by Tenchi on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Man i cringed when i saw that headline. The story line for it has barely gotten anywhere.

We publish the manga here in North America, with no issue. "US censors" isn't really a thing these days, not at least for the manga & anime industry.

I'm sure when the anime eventually makes its way over, it'll be fine.

CallumKeyblade wrote:
The manga isn't hugely popular in Japan. It just seems to sell really well in America (relatively speaking) for some reason.

While it isn't Attack on Titan "big," the manga has done moderately well in Japan. It typically ranks on Oricon every time a new volume is released. The series has sold well over a million copies now, and I imagine it'll continue to see a decent increase over the next few months.

Last edited by Conner Crooks on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Right, there's nothing remotely furry-like about fantasizing about a centaur or a harpy. Sorry for getting them mixed up.

Indeed, glad you have the caliber to understand your mistake and apologize.

CrowLia wrote:
self-insert average Japanese teenager

Before I forget, the protagonist is an adult, another plus IMO.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

well it is seinen so it is normal that it is 'too dirty' and is also being aimed towards older audience so it is fine.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
saying they are after 'his dick' is exaggerating, if anything they are after his attention and love.

spoiler[Miia's kind of after his dick, but they were essentially in co-habitating relationship for a while before all of the others showed up. Of all of the pairings, they'd feel the least forced and most natural since they tend to have the best chemistry, and Miia's the most well adjusted to life in the human world. Hell, the only real options are Miia, Cerea, and maybe Rachnee if you're into BDSM. I just don't see Papi or Mero working out, and Suu is just sort of a side note along with Lala. I'm probably not alone in saying the harem aspect kind of gets in the way of seeing the relationships develop, and Crabman just keeps adding too many girls. It would have been preferable to see it done omnibus style, but no one has that kind of time or energy to devote a full manga to each girl.]

Dude she never was after his dick that is both a exaggeration and wrong. From what I understood from reading the manga, she was mainly wanting to build a relationship with him and wants his attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5