• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Musume Manga Gets TV Anime in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
While it isn't Attack on Titan "big," the manga has done moderately well in Japan. It typically ranks on Oricon every time a new volume is released. The series has sold well over a million copies now, and I imagine it'll continue to see a decent increase over the next few months.

Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Actually the author sold one million copies of the manga, so I would say that it is pretty popular for a harem manga.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say it doesn't sell in Japan or anything. I just meant it regularly tops the manga charts in America whereas it has a (relatively) more moderate level success in Japan (obviously it sells a lot more actual copies in Japan than America!).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I honestly wish they would make anime about fantastic creatures that wasn't just a base ecchi harem

Perhaps you'd enjoy A Centaur's Life more? No harem, just cute (monster) girls doing cute things.

I hope that happens too. I mean enough with the "moe" stuff. I don't hate it but aesthetic-wise I've grown tired as there just hasn't been much to grab my attention these days. And the good stuff is only a handful. But hey, can't do anything about that. That's a cultural phenomenon. But maybe one day Japan will get wise and say, "Hmm, time to try our hand at animated some newer manga creations. I mean there is soooo much that hasn't been tapped old and new. I mean, I wanted to see an anime for ET cetera by Tow Nakazaki. But at least we're getting an Ushio & Tora series. So 2 fun filled anime to look for this summer, Ushio and MM. Damn, I had forgotten about Ushio & Tora. But I'd definitely be behind an anime for 'A Centaur's Life'. But I wonder if drawing a centaur girl would be too much trouble. It'd be a challenge though.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.... I've actually been wanting to read this manga. For it to be getting an anime adaptation....

....I'm in.[/code]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also always judge stories by their poorly written summaries.

Quote:
@Crowlia I expected better of you, judging a book by its cover.

If you expected me to have a forgiving judgement for an ecchi harem anime, your expectations were sadly misplaced, my friend.

And for that matter, I'm also judging by this:

Quote:
Here's a nsfw sample.

As a rule of thumb the amount of physically challenging/balloon-like boob anatomy is inversely proportional to my desire to watch any series. At all.

Quote:
Perhaps you'd enjoy A Centaur's Life more? No harem, just cute (monster) girls doing cute things.

Damn, that art looks adrable! I think I'll check it out, thanks for the reference. Although I'll admit I don't read a lot of manga (especially if they're not weekly, there are very few monthly manga that I follow)

Quote:
Saying they are after 'his dick' is exaggerating, if anything they are after his attention and love.

Quote:
Before I forget, the protagonist is an adult, another plus IMO.

I apologize for the mistakes, you can't blame me for thinking every ecchi harem comedy out there is a copy-paste of each other. Let me rephrase my statement.

Quote:

I honestly wish they would make anime about fantastic creatures that wasn't just a base ecchi harem with self-insert average Japanese teenager dude surrounded by magical boobs whose raison d'etre is chasing after his dick becoming his waifu.

ETA: According to this article, the main guy is a teenager and Wikipedia says he's 18. Is there a time-skip or are we pretending 18-y-o's are adults in anime?
Storm101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The MC has a job and is a pretty good person as opposed to the usual spineless/worthless High Schooler.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But I'd definitely be behind an anime for 'A Centaur's Life'. But I wonder if drawing a centaur girl would be too much trouble. It'd be a challenge though.

If a studio can animate Monster Musume with a centaur girl, they (meaning any anime studio, not necessarily the same one) can animate A Centaur's Life with a centaur girl.

I think the non-centaur monster girls in A Centaur's Life other than the Antartican reptilians would be easier to animate than the non-centaur monster girls in Monster Musume, since most of the races in the former are basically regular humans with wings, tails, animal ears, and/or other appendages, nothing as weird as an arachne.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
randy1925 wrote:
Whats so popular about it? isnt just another harem anime?
CallumKeyblade wrote:
The manga isn't hugely popular in Japan. It just seems to sell really well in America (relatively speaking) for some reason.
Sinbad96 wrote:
Outside of Japan he has a fan following.

I remember one of his author notes was getting a Canadian fan at his table at Comiket or something. Pretty trippy then, considering it was still just scans.
{Fixed your quotes for you. You have 1 strike. ~nbahn}
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

ETA: According to this article, the main guy is a teenager and Wikipedia says he's 18. Is there a time-skip or are we pretending 18-y-o's are adults in anime?

Actually his age has never been determined in the series, whether in the story proper or supplemental materials in the bound volumes. He's never mentioned going to school so he's probably graduated. He also has a job, but has only mentioned it. He's probably around late teens or early twenties.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Technically speaking eighteen or nineteen still is a teenager. Also remember this IS Japan we are speaking about, there you are not officially an adult (can't vote or buy an alcoholic drink or stamp your signature in a contract) until you are twenty, even if you enter the workforce (start having responsibilities/paying for your own maintenance) after you graduate of high school.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
^That's exactly my point, you said he was an adult, but 18 is late teens at best, especially in Japan where you become an adult at 20. So is he 18, a grown up, a teenager or his age is undisclosed? Not that it particularly matters at this point, though
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^That's exactly my point, you said he was an adult

That is what he is in our culture and that is how he behaves in this series, which is what most onlookers are truly interested, since the way the main character behaves is the target audience they are looking for.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here knows exactly why Japan likes to draw their characters with massive boobs?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Anyone here knows exactly why Japan likes to draw their characters with massive boobs?

For the same reason superhero comics draw male bodies with muscles beyond what professional bodybuilders on the juice can attain.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:

Ask Power Girl and Wonder Woman and She Hulk and Miss Marvel and the any Top Cow female characters.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
randy1925 wrote:
Whats so popular about it? isnt just another harem anime?
I'm certainly not an expert, being that I only read one volume, but it seemed a little more funny and self aware then the usual harem story. I didn't like it enough to continue, but it was kind of fun. That and it seems like monster girls are the fetish of the day lately
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5